It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

please improve searching by composer name

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

aah

please improve searching by composer name

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 am

Today I wanted to find recordings users have uploaded to Contrebombarde of music written by Gaël Liardon. His name does not appear on the popup list, so I wrote it in as "Gaël Liardon". 3 entries appeared, which seemed like too few. I then searched for "Liardon, Gaël", and about 20 results appeared.

Obviously, it would be better if the search function did a simple transform and searched for both versions of an input name automatically. If I input a name with a comma, it should also search for the name in reverse order without the comma. If there is no comma, then it should reverse the terms and insert a comma. It isn't hard to do that in SQL, so I hope this improvement will be implemented.

Thank you,
Aaron

aah

Re: please improve searching by composer name

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am

Of course, one way around this problem is just to type the last name of the composer, or just part of the name. Then all the results show up, even if some of them are incorrect (when the name isn't unique or you've typed only a portion of the name which happens to appear in unrelated results). Anyway, I'll just do that from now on! :-)

sonar11

Re: please improve searching by composer name

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 am

If they're using postgresql then they could also look into the fuzzystr extension, specifically the "levenshtein" function to match on names entered by the user which are a few chars away from an exact match of the composer name. How many people actually know how to type in the ë from Gaël? But typing in "Gael" should also match, and can easily enough using levenshtein. I'm sure similar functions exist in other databases too.

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall