It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

CPU load pulsing causing Audio Glitches. WINDOWS based Haupt

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

britokusa

CPU load pulsing causing Audio Glitches. WINDOWS based Haupt

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 7:58 am

Hi. I am using a Dell X0S8500 with 24gb and I was having issues with audio glitches, I replaced my old m-audio610 with a behringer fca610 - but it hasn't fixed the issue. I am finding that many cpu load is pulsing up and down (and that seems to glitch the aufio) My windows is 8.1. Its always run pretty well

Can anybody provide any input. I don't use this computer to run anything but hauptwerk. THANK YOU

organtechnology

Re: CPU load pulsing causing Audio Glitches. WINDOWS based H

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 am

That sounds like an ASIO driver issue. Are you using the specific driver for the FCA610 or the ASIO4ALL driver?

Thomas

britokusa wrote:Hi. I am using a Dell X0S8500 with 24gb and I was having issues with audio glitches, I replaced my old m-audio610 with a behringer fca610 - but it hasn't fixed the issue. I am finding that many cpu load is pulsing up and down (and that seems to glitch the aufio) My windows is 8.1. Its always run pretty well

Can anybody provide any input. I don't use this computer to run anything but hauptwerk. THANK YOU
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

IainStinson

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:46 am

The topic of getting Windows to provide good audio is a fairly frequent topic on the forum. If you use the Advanced Search facility you might find quite a bit of help.

You could also look at these two topics as a starter...
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16840
and
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16783

Out of date drivers (wrong drivers) for the audio system, or other things running in the background (not needed for HW such as Windows Index; use task manager to see what's going on) are often the cause of the problems.

Good luck

Iain

mnailor

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:57 am

You should probably start with the section of the user guide referenced below and go through the checklist carefully to rule out known Windows audio problems.

See page 200 and above in the user guide 4.2.1 to troubleshoot audio performance issues. Quick checklist on page 213.

britokusa

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Thats a good question on the Asio. When I added the FCA610 I just downloaded the drivers from the behringer website - its instructions I thought were quite poor.

How do I know what driver I have? Is it in control panel somewhere?

Thank you so much for your help

organtechnology

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 6:15 pm

I would think it would be the name of the file you downloaded from Behringer. If it is ASIO4ALL I would probably uninstall it, then re-install it using the 'Run as administrator' option with the FCA610 disconnected and only reconnect it when told to or after the install is complete.

I can offer you a copy of the USB or IEE1394 driver for Win 7 but I have no experience using them with Win 8.1.

Thomas

britokusa wrote:Thats a good question on the Asio. When I added the FCA610 I just downloaded the drivers from the behringer website - its instructions I thought were quite poor.

How do I know what driver I have? Is it in control panel somewhere?

Thank you so much for your help
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jerrynazard

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 pm

I had frequent glitches with the FCA610 when I was running Windows 8.1, and ultimately switched to another audio interface. At the time, It was difficult to determine if the problems were related directly to the FCA610 or Windows 8. Upgrading to Windows 10 was a definite improvement. I am now running Windows 10 Pro and not doing any Windows updates. I know this does not directly address your issues with the Behringer, but I wanted to share my positive experience with the OS upgrade. Best of luck dealing with the FCA610.
-Jerry

abaymajr

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 9:03 am

britokusa wrote:Hi. I am using a Dell X0S8500 with 24gb and I was having issues with audio glitches, I replaced my old m-audio610 with a behringer fca610 - but it hasn't fixed the issue. I am finding that many cpu load is pulsing up and down (and that seems to glitch the aufio) My windows is 8.1. Its always run pretty well

Do a simple test. Run Task Manager (right click on taskbar and select Task Manager), click on Details tab and find Hauptwerk.exe on the list. Right click on it, select Set Priority, then choose Realtime. Reset CPU meter on Haupwerk and check if it remains on green area and audio gliches are gone. This is an undocumented workaround, and not recommended by HW developers because of potential side effects, but it solved here definitely, and no problems since months of high HW usage.

britokusa

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi. the option using task manager And runnign in real time was the only thing that worked for me, (THANKS by the way) I went back to using my Profile 610. and right now using task manager option it just fine.

The other thing I noticed is I can shut hauptwerk down. just get a blue spinning circle ! This has to be a windows related issue.

Its very frustrating as it always worked well for me

abaymajr

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 9:33 pm

britokusa wrote:Hi. the option using task manager And runnign in real time was the only thing that worked for me, (THANKS by the way) I went back to using my Profile 610. and right now using task manager option it just fine.

The other thing I noticed is I can shut hauptwerk down. just get a blue spinning circle ! This has to be a windows related issue.

Its very frustrating as it always worked well for me

Doesn't the blue spinning circle go away after a longer period of time? Here, until Windows 10 build 1803 (to be officially released next Monday), Hauptwerk was taking large time to close, because of a poor performance in flushing RAM. Now it is (almost) at the same performance I experienced with original Win10 release, three years ago.

Regarding to the realtime priority workaround, there is a freeware that turns it permanently, without having to manually change the priority settings every time you run Hauptwerk: http://systemexplorer.net/

Once again, I'm not ignoring nor challenging the HW developer recommendation not to change Hauptwerk task priority. So, be advised there may be side effects. I share this workaround because, at least for me, it was the only thing, from a huge checklist, that definitely solved the problem I was experiencing with non-100% stable HW streaming.

britokusa

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 9:09 pm

I just wonder if there is any update to this windows glitching issue. issue to avoid switching to real time

I only have the issue on a DELL xps8500 system (doesn't happen on the Church system)_ both running windows 10 pro

My only solution on my dell xps8500 is to ,,,,,,,, Run Task Manager (right click on taskbar and select Task Manager), click on Details tab and find Hauptwerk.exe on the list. Right click on it, select Set Priority, then choose Realtime. Reset CPU meter on Haupwerk and check if it remains on green area and audio gliches are gone. This is an undocumented workaround, and not recommended by HW developers because of potential side effects, but it solved here definitely, and no problems since months of high HW usage.

Return to Technical support