It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

The great Müller organ of Haarlem now availlable!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mumblecake

Re: The great Müller organ of Haarlem now availlable!

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 2:39 am

bourdon wrote:31 GB is a lot !
So it would be useful to know :
1) how much memory it takes in 14 bits compressed
2) if the resulting sound is OK in 14 bits for this sample set.

It would also be interesting to have demos ( there are, I think, only 3 at present), featuring the organ in its complete configuration and also,of course, the different acoustics . ( Lavender or Hauptwerk NL are good examples).

The difference in RAM size will be comparably small from 16 to 14 Bit. I think most people will heavily advise against 14 bit and go as far as to say that 20 Bit should be the minimum.

I would rather load a subset of the sample set and start experimenting with truncating the release samples. It could be that with a certain mix it could work beautifully to truncate the front samples (potentially after ~250ms) and have the reverb from the rear recordings. That would also definitely give a higher saving in RAM than to go 14Bit which would make artifacts inevitable.

famduppies62

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 3:53 am

I think it would be wise to think carefully before buying this nice sampleset , knowing your Pc is only 16 Gb or so , and you would have to make to many adjustments , which will not benefit the sound at all

In my opinion , Move Upwards People, buy a new Pc or upgrade the exsisting one , its no use trying to have a car with a mercedes motor in a 2CV chassis :) :wink:

Hw greetings

Hans

mumblecake

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 2:09 am

Absolutely right! If there are a couple of GB lacking to get it loaded in 20 Bit ... fair enough ... it's worth to somehow try to squeeze it in.

But if the minimal 16 Bit requirements are already a mountain too tall, it's safe to say that the computer is vastly underspecced for this sample set. It's better not to buy this sample set as you will otherwise only be disappointed ... which won't be the fault of the sample set.

If the RAM is already a big hurdle I would also check the processor ... the surround sets which have become fashion over the past few years also have big polyphony requirements.

Best Regards
Mathis

bourdon

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 6:35 am

Thanks to all of you for the technical data and the wise advices !

We obviously all have and will have to upgrade from time to time in order to benefit from technical progress.
But, regarding the present topic, I just wonder up to what amount the increase in depth of the sound definition is noticeable by average human ears , supposing also that one has the adequate sound equipment ( amps, loud speakers ,etc..) ?...

hmzeuner

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 5:47 am

mumblecake wrote:Absolutely right! If there are a couple of GB lacking to get it loaded in 20 Bit ... fair enough ... it's worth to somehow try to squeeze it in.

But if the minimal 16 Bit requirements are already a mountain too tall, it's safe to say that the computer is vastly underspecced for this sample set. It's better not to buy this sample set as you will otherwise only be disappointed ... which won't be the fault of the sample set.

If the RAM is already a big hurdle I would also check the processor ... the surround sets which have become fashion over the past few years also have big polyphony requirements.

Best Regards
Mathis

I bought the wet version of this set last week and I was a bit anxious whether I could use it on my Mac Mini 2012 because this computer has only a maximum RAM of 16 Gb. The current Hauptwerk version allows the use of 14.8 Gb for sample sets - a vast improvement compared to earlier versions.

It is clearly impossible to use the sample set with 20 bit or more, and even for 16 bit the amount of RAM is not quite sufficient. My solution was to load the tremmed versions of Mixtures, Cymbaals and Sexquialter only in mono - I would never use a Mixture with the Tremulant anyhow. With this small restriction the organ loads without problems. Since the CPU (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7) is quite powerful, I don't have any issues with polyphony.

I am therefore very happy to use this magnificent set; maybe in the future I can switch to a computer with more Gigabytes of RAM...

Hansmartin (Hamburg).

Gert

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 11:38 pm

Professional organist Leo Terlouw made recordings of Bach on the Haarlem sampleset.
Listen on: http://pcorgan.com/LuisterBachLeoTerlouwEN.html

chr.schmitz

PostTue May 01, 2018 3:45 am

The May/June issue of OKEY (a German magazine for digital organ, keybaord and digital piano) has a detailed review of the Haarlem sample set.

http://www.okey-online.com/index.php?a=ausgaben&b=main&c=detailansicht&d=100143&e=1

The author, Hans-Dieter Karras, extols this sample set as one of the best sets he played until today.

Congratulations to the Voxus team!
Chris

Dnsmo

PostTue May 01, 2018 12:23 pm

chr.schmitz wrote:The May/June issue of OKEY (a German magazine for digital organ, keybaord and digital piano) has a detailed review of the Haarlem sample set.

Chris, do you happen to know if OKEY is only available auf Deutsch with no English language version?
Dennis

dhm

PostTue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm not aware of any English-Language version. 99.9% sure there isn't one.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

chr.schmitz

PostTue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I agree!

Chris

adri

PostSun May 06, 2018 2:50 am

chr.schmitz wrote:The May/June issue of OKEY (a German magazine for digital organ, keybaord and digital piano) has a detailed review of the Haarlem sample set.

http://www.okey-online.com/index.php?a=ausgaben&b=main&c=detailansicht&d=100143&e=1

The author, Hans-Dieter Karras, extols this sample set as one of the best sets he played until today.

Congratulations to the Voxus team!
Chris

The text now freely available on Voxus website (in German):
https://www.voxusorgans.com/sites/default/files/Review-Haarlem-Okeymagazine_2.pdf
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments