It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

Which instrument for learning notes?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

montyjnc

Which instrument for learning notes?

PostFri May 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Greetings,

One of the joys of Hauptwerk is obviously the ability to play in a cathedral acoustic with the rich textures of huge organs. But, learning notes in a live acoustic is extremely difficult/takes significantly longer. Does anyone have recommendations for a dry but response sample set they like to use for general practicing? I would love your input! Currently I practice using the St. Anne set but find it rather dull after extended periods of time

adri

Re: Which instrument for learning notes?

PostFri May 18, 2018 2:28 pm

how many keyboards do you have?

what types of music you mostly play?

murph

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Menesterol moist/ moist, surround. Will do nearly everything from baroque to romantic French (without boxes). Very little delay between press and sound.
Armley for fun.
Goerlitz front can be quite un-forgiving, especially the brustwerk!
Rotterdam transept. (I have the dry set. It's brutally unforgiving. Even with added reverb. With un-processed front and reverbed rear, it's like playing a real small tracker. With warts!!!) Make this sound good, a Holtzcamp will be a doddle (or a K Jones, which I am used to).

Daniel Dries

PostFri May 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Although it’s only a couple of days old, the new Sonus Paradisi Casavant would be ideal. It has a specification large enough to play anything, but it never loses clarity.

Klapmeyer is excellent for learning baroque repertoire.

Both sets don’t let you get away with anything, and both are good value for money.

Good luck.
Daniel

162_Ranks

PostFri May 18, 2018 6:25 pm

+1 on the (brand new) Casavant . Also the Portland Rosales but it is more expensive.

The wonderful instrument s by Piotr Grabowski (which are donationware), there are a couple which I like for learning notes: Friesach (which has a bit more space) and the Giubiasco.

Finally, with a French fl.avor, the MDA St. Eucare.

montyjnc

PostSat May 19, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm just looking for an instrument that is not going to let me get away with absolutely anything. Aka has a dry variant but is still charming enough to not be boring

V.KÜTTINGER

PostMon May 21, 2018 3:22 am

Hello. For learning and also for playing, this organ is perfect
http://02.hauptwerk-augustine.info/Grenzing-Geneva
Best regards

Tweedle_Dee

PostMon May 21, 2018 1:36 pm

A small sample set that doesn't get talked about much, but I think is wonderful...

http://02.hauptwerk-augustine.info/Luins-Features/

Dry-ish, charming and free (with suggested donation). Surround and semi-dry options.

josq

PostMon May 21, 2018 1:55 pm

There are a lot of free (demo) sample sets available - including some good sets that are both charming and demanding. You will find it very entertaining to try some of them.

On the other hand, I think in Hauptwerkland there is still some correlation between price and quality. A truly excellent, extremely charming AND very demanding instrument is the sample set from the Trost organ in Waltershausen. It has a lot of unique and colourful stops in a quite dry but pleasant acoustics. Any mistake will be punished!

Interestingly, it is probable that Bach has played this organ. See http://www.organartmedia.com/en/engelfried/45.html for more details and http://www.organartmedia.com/en/orders for more sample sets from Organ Art Media including pricing.

va3ets

PostThu May 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Also the CUI Casavant sample set from http://clrresources.com, would be a good choice too. , as it's not in a huge reverberant space acoustically, and it's nice and clear too.

Andrew Grahame

PostFri May 25, 2018 2:49 am

Hi montyjnc,

I've sent you a PM.

Andrew

JRP

PostSat May 26, 2018 3:10 am

I agree with others that the new Sonus Paradisi Casavant instrument is excellent as a practice instrument. I have up until now been using the Rosales Portland organ but much prefer the Casavant. As others have said, it is also at a great price.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments