It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

Future OS, for H/W, ???

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Future OS, for H/W, ???

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm

FYI, (to think about for Geek minds) Fuchsia, Google’s New Operating System

https://www.howtogeek.com/345777/what-is-fuchsia-googles-new-operating-system/

Interestingly the closest operating systems that runs at all levels of consumer hardware is, somewhat ironically, Linux.

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

Re: Future OS, for H/W, ???

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Everything Google is spyware. I stay as far away as possible.
Ray

engrssc

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Most OS systems do spying in one form or another. Most "spying" can be turned off. Mind you, I'm not advocating anything. Martin has enough to do with Mac and Windows. Dabbling with Linux for certain things is interesting, tho.

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm

engrssc wrote:Most OS systems do spying in one form or another. Most "spying" can be turned off. Mind you, I'm not advocating anything. Martin has enough to do with Mac and Windows. Dabbling with Linux for certain things is interesting, tho.

Rgds,
Ed

I fear you are wonderfully mistaken. Just this week, I read on one of my tech blogs where even Facebook is a pauper compared to Google. A 75% to 25% ratio for data kept. But Facebook is voluntary. I like Linux too, but I think it would be hard to provide software for it, since it is so 'open'. My favorite is z/OS. I'd love to run Hauptwerk on that, but sadly could not afford the investment in hardware! :D
Ray

engrssc

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Not a fan of Google, but have had bad experiences with IE and Firefox as well.

Rgds,
Ed

notdefined

PostWed May 23, 2018 9:48 pm

RaymondList: z/OS!? You do go for the Cadillac eh? Actually, you can run z/OS on a PC under Hercules IF (and that is unlikely) you can get a license from IBM and can afford a copy. You can run MVS 3.8, or an open source 31 bit version called MVS/380 as they are both free but that won't help you as far as Hauptwerk goes. Martin has been pretty adamant about not straying from his current two platforms so a System/Z variant is probably just a dream. I am curious what he will do about the upcoming architecture change for Apple from Intel x86-64 to Arm64? I don't expect them to attempt to create an emulator this time to get from the x86 environment to the A64 like they did for the PPC to X86 jump.

engrssc

PostWed May 23, 2018 10:00 pm

When is this change supposed to occur? And is it across all future product lines?

Rgds
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs