It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Digital noise while running Hauptwerk 4.1.1

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

boramides

Digital noise while running Hauptwerk 4.1.1

PostWed May 23, 2018 7:54 pm

I am experiencing some sort of digital noise(that's what it sounds like) while Hauptwerk in invoked and running.

Hauptwerk runs on Dell i7 processor (one is earlier and the other is 4th generation) with 32GB with Windows 8. I have two identical setup at home and work and the problem is identical.

First time when this happened with Motu 24io setup it changed the keys to different place - i.e If I was playing on F it moved to E key or F#. How do I know? Because I am running this on Allen console which has its own sound.
I thought it could be the Audio interface, then changed to M-Audio pro 610. Problem still there, but did not change the key at least, I will hear the noise for a second or so when it happens. it happens spontaneously at least once or more depending on how long I leave it on.

Any one experienced this issue?
Please share yours and the remedy for it if you had?

I start thinking this could be this particular Dell Desktop.
I do not recall this happened with different setup of PC - i5 processor with Dell or HP desktops.

I am running full version of Salisbury and Paramount organ works 450, problem persists regardless the sample set.

Thank you,

Young

engrssc

Re: Digital noise while running Hauptwerk 4.1.1

PostWed May 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Not sure if this is part of the problem, but the most current version of Hauptwerk is V4.2.1.003 in which there were several bug fixes. Suggest you try an upgrade to the current version.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostWed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm

As Ed suggests, first be sure you have the latest version of Hauptwerk installed. I'm not sure about the key changes you're experiencing, and your issues may be related to the same cause, but the random and very short audio glitch you are getting after Hauptwerk has run for awhile sounds very similar to the same issue I was having. Turn off 'Automatic updates' in your computer settings and the problems should go away.

Marc

IainStinson

PostThu May 24, 2018 5:24 am

You might find it helpful to look at https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/WindowsOptimizationsAndDiagnostics.pdf

Also try not being connected to the Internet and (when not connected to the Internet) temporarily disabling any virus scanning software which is running... but these things are in the tutorial I believe.

I run my windows system (on Dell machines) with no problems. but you do need to disable some of the "background junk" which Windows can bring with it. (Of course it is only "junk" if you don;t need it!)

Iain

jcfelice88keys

PostThu May 24, 2018 5:24 pm

I have experienced Hauptwerk sounding in the wrong key when playing through a DAW whose sample rate was set to 44.1kHz instead of 48k. Early on, I did not know this was the source of the pitch problem, and found that re-starting Hauptwerk would correct the problem, although momentarily. Having been born with absolute pitch, the perception was immediate and positive that the organ was pitched a semitone flat.

Ironically, I heard someone else's performance on CBCH sounding a semitone flat and informed that performer who denied there was anything wrong (although playing a semitone flat was clearly wrong). It was from a vendor whose Hauptwerk software I do not own, so it serves no purpose in disclosing the vendor's name. Suffice to say, if there is a mismatch between Hauptwerk and the DAW's sample rate -- not the vendor's fault -- and I cannot confirm whether this is true if a computer's audio interface also suffers from this problem -- then the result is the organ sounding a semitone flat.

Cheers,

Joe

Frank-Evans

PostThu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Might check and be sure that the transposer wasn't accidently activated... That happened to me, not only off pitch, all of the bottom C's were dead... I spent several hours looking for the problem.... I was convinced it was hardware :oops:

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu May 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello Young,

Here is what we suggest:

- Make sure that all available BIOS updates are applied for the PC's motherboard.
- Make sure that all available Windows updates are applied.
- Make sure that the latest firmware is installed for the audio interface, checking on its manufacturer's website for the latest version.
- Make sure that the latest driver is installed for the audio interface, checking on its manufacturer's website for the latest version
- Upgrade to the current version of HW (v4.2.1) -- v4.1.1 is obsolete and there are many important fixes and improvements in later versions.
- Make sure that the audio interface's manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver is selected on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen in Hauptwerk.
- Make sure that Windows isn't set to use the audio interface as its default audio playback device in the Windows sounds control panel -- probably Windows or some other application is trying to play sounds through the interface and causing the interface's sample rate to change.
- Likewise, make sure that no other applications are running at the same time as Hauptwerk which are configured to use the audio interface for audio output.
- See this topic for troubleshooting PC audio glitches: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16674&p=125702#p125702 . In particular, LatencyMon *must* report that the PC is working properly for real-time audio, otherwise audio glitches will almost certainly occur.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu May 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello Young,

Here is what we suggest:

- Make sure that all available BIOS updates are applied for the PC's motherboard.
- Make sure that all available Windows updates are applied.
- Make sure that the latest firmware is installed for the audio interface, checking on its manufacturer's website for the latest version.
- Make sure that the latest driver is installed for the audio interface, checking on its manufacturer's website for the latest version
- Upgrade to the current version of HW (v4.2.1) -- v4.1.1 is obsolete and there are many important fixes and improvements in later versions.
- Make sure that the audio interface's manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver is selected on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen in Hauptwerk.
- Make sure that Windows isn't set to use the audio interface as its default audio playback device in the Windows sounds control panel -- probably Windows or some other application is trying to play sounds through the interface and causing the interface's sample rate to change.
- Likewise, make sure that no other applications are running at the same time as Hauptwerk which are configured to use the audio interface for audio output.
- See this topic for troubleshooting PC audio glitches: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16674&p=125702#p125702 . In particular, LatencyMon *must* report that the PC is working properly for real-time audio, otherwise audio glitches will almost certainly occur.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to Technical support