It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

What’s New in Windows 10’s Redstone 5 Update, Available Fall

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

What’s New in Windows 10’s Redstone 5 Update, Available Fall

jkinkennon

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s Redstone 5 Update, Available

PostFri May 25, 2018 6:03 pm

This Fall version of Win 10 was released today on the fast track for the Windows Insider Community. Memory loads and unloads are as slow as ever. I'm having problems with USB Mass Storage devices on my desktop but not on the laptop. I'm between consoles again so am not running Hauptwerk except for testing a pair of console conversions in the garage.

As with those upgrading to the Spring version of Windows 10, superfetch still has to be disabled.

1961TC4ME

PostFri May 25, 2018 7:56 pm

Given all the various headaches and issues I've read about just here on this forum alone concerning Win 10, to me it's become the modern day version of Vista but 100 X worse as far as I'm concerned.

My 2-1/2 cents worth: If you already have it, stick with your Win 7 Pro as long as you can folks until they either sort out this tanked Win 10 or come out with a truly new OS.

Marc

organtechnology

PostSat May 26, 2018 4:46 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:Given all the various headaches and issues I've read about just here on this forum alone concerning Win 10, to me it's become the modern day version of Vista but 100 X worse as far as I'm concerned.

My 2-1/2 cents worth: If you already have it, stick with your Win 7 Pro as long as you can folks until they either sort out this tanked Win 10 or come out with a truly new OS.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes we are also staying with Win 7 for now but someday that will end too and when it does the I think the best place to be is Windows 10 LTSB. LTSB stands for Long Term Service Branch and if I understand the Microsoft publications about it correctly, this is a regular Win 10 Enterprise kernel which does not expect to be updated with every update issued but lets the update time stretch into years BUT once you do decide it is time to update it will bring you completely up to date as of the date of the update. So it goes along with no update for a long time but if you do update it's going to take a while.

But for a Hauptwerk only computer you do not need to update the O/S unless there is a major update of Hauptwerk and then perhaps you should get completely current for both Hauptwerk and Win 10.

Since Microsoft says this is the last Windows as we know it, new releases will be yearly subscriptions even though it may still be called Win 10 version 10.x.x. 'Ocean Window' or something. If you are running Hauptwerk on a Consumer O/S (i.e. sharing the OS with other programs) expect updates and patches to be almost a weekly occurrence in the future and drivers that last a long time to be a thing of the past.

For example, Apple has already decided that I need a new iPhone and iPad as they have quit updating my iOS and my apps are falling rapidly by the way side. That is the app says you must update this app by such and such a date and the update tells you sorry you can not update the app because you do not have iOS xx and you cannot get iOS xx because your device is too old. (sigh)

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSat May 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Nothing as currently timely as a change. OTOH, if "we" didn't tolerate changes, we probably would still be driving a model T. (Ford) with no A/C. Even some of the great pipe organs have had some updates, albeit such as hidden discretely in a drawer in the console. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat May 26, 2018 8:13 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:Given all the various headaches and issues I've read about just here on this forum alone concerning Win 10, to me it's become the modern day version of Vista but 100 X worse as far as I'm concerned.

Marc

Vista on my old 2008 built computer worked just fine, never had any problems with it.

Windows 10 on my 2 year old computer works just fine, once I got rid of the audio glitches. No updating for me. It's never on the internet.

Speaking of Enterprise, many of our department computers still run 7 Enterprise. Haven't heard of any talk of upgrade to 10. Someday they'll have to though.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostSat May 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Although I do realize all good things must come to an end, I see zero advantage of Win 10 over Win 7 with the exception of some 'eye candy' much like an I-Phone looks that does me nothing. This is not a model T to 2018 comparison either. As long as it's supported, I'm running Win 7, thanks.

We also run a combination of Win 7 and Win 10 OS at work, and the Win 10 guys are constantly coming around the corner whining and crying about their Win 10 computers. They complain they're constantly slow, they worked OK yesterday and they're locked up not working at all today, and on and on. I get tired of listening to them. Me? Haha, they come and ask me how my computer is working and no problemo, my Win 7 is chugging right along and I'm asking them.... What problems? :wink:

Marc

Grant_Youngman

PostSun May 27, 2018 10:41 am

Another large change coming down the pike is that Apple is planning to move away from Intel processors in Macs, to unify hardware (and software by inference) architecture among all Apple devices (phones, pads, PCs, etc.). This has the potential to create some monumental issues (and not just for HW). The change from PowerPC to Intel was messy, and this may be a rerun. It's unlikely that HW will run well on the new Apple hardware (still a few years off, thankfully) with an Intel emulator sitting in the middle, unless any parts of HW (if any) that are low-level hardware dependent are rebuilt.

Fun for all!! :-)
Grant

dhm

PostSun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

I too would happily stick with Win 7 (HP for 16GB systems, Pro for 32GB), if only I could find new legal copies.
That said, I haven't had any problems with Win 10 (yet), and it has the advantage that Win 10 Home will support up to 128GB.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostSun May 27, 2018 5:07 pm

dhm wrote:I too would happily stick with Win 7 (HP for 16GB systems, Pro for 32GB), if only I could find new legal copies..

Hi Douglas ,,

Consider this. These are really good machines and work very well for Hauptwerk. So far, I bought 4 and have had total success. You can remove the Nvidia video cards, sell them and help cover the cost. 8) And they come loaded with Win 7 Pro installed. Plus they can be mounted vertically giving a small foot print. The seller will send a back up copy of the software, given you ask nicely. :wink: ($56.29 USD International Priority Shipping to United Kingdom via the Global Shipping Program)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8300-Intel-i7-3770-3-4Ghz-32GB-RAM-120GB-SSD-500GB-HDD-2x-NVS310-Win7/123152800677?hash=item1cac7a9ba5:g:c-MAAOSw5VtZvHPU

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostSun May 27, 2018 7:30 pm

This thread has kind of wandered off track from the original question concerning the fall update, but it almost sounds as if we've gotten our answer already. Yes, Win 10 does have the advantage right out of the gate for much more memory, but you gotta know what computer you're buying too. Your new Win 10 computer is going to need the required memory slots that are generally not found in your 'big box store' off the shelf purchase, then there's the current crazy high price of the memory. Most very nice sets can be used with 32 GB of memory, and my local computer joint recently told me more than 32 GB with Win 7 depends on the mother board. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Win 10, but one thing I'd make sure if it's even possible to get away with and keep everything working properly would be to never connect it to the internet.

Marc

Return to Computer hardware / specs