It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

Allen ADC 222

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

hleerose85

Allen ADC 222

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm

We recently purchased a new-to-us Allen ADC 222 two-manual Organ console—pretty much in Mint-condition—and it works great with the on-board MIDI components; but I’ve realized that while the keyboards are MIDIfied, the Pistons, Tabs, and ‘Swell Shoe’ are not, as Hauptwerk isn’t seeming to recognize them when setting up the controls.

I’ve right-clicked, tried auto-detect; but none of them seem to register any kind of signal. Provided that I’m just not doing something wrong (and please tell me if I am), what is the best next step to take to begin MIDIfying them? I am new to all of this stuff, so I’m a bit of a rookie. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

engrssc

Re: Allen ADC 222

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:23 am

In case it helps, the 'Playing Hauptwerk live from a digital organ' section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 179-180 in the current v4.2.1 version) has some background information on using digital organs with Hauptwerk in general (combination systems, etc.).

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 am

You could use Midi Medic or MidiOx or Hauptwerk’s built-in midi monitor to confirm that your organ is (or is not) sending midi output when you operate the stop tabs , pistons or swell shoes.

The HW built-in midi logger is described on page 137 of the current edition of the User Manual.
Connect the organ to the computer’s midi input.
1. Start Hauptwerk.
2. From the menu choose General Preferences | Advanced Preferences.
3. Tick the box Diagnostics: Log Midi messages….
4. Press and release one note (so you see something in the log even if the stop tabs don’t send any midi data)
5. Operate a stop tab.
6. Open the HW log (Menu Help| View Activity Log (page 228)
7. You should see the midi messages for the note you pressed and for the stop tab,

Some older organs don’t send midi output for some console operations…

Are there other “midi” output sockets on the instrument? If there are try connecting and checking what midi output is being generated on that output.

Iain

puffernutter

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm pretty certain that the ADC series only outputs midi signals from the manuals and pedal, not pistons, swell pedal or individual stop controls. It wasn't until the next generation, the MDS series, that full midi was implemented, from about 1990 onwards. I think your model was built in the late 80s or early 90s just, which was right at the changeover unfortunately.

It is possible to add midi to these controls but it would be necessary to break into the wiring looms to fit an add-on midi interface. Alternatively it would be much simpler to use a touch screen (or two) for the controls, although it wouldn't solve the swell control, but even this could might be possible by replacing the orginal swell pedal with a modern midi type. I've found that Allen organ consoles are generally built using basic building techniques (wood, screwed together) and can be modified fairly easily, just steer clear of the electronics. That's one of the great assets of HW, in that all the old technology can be left alone to do its own thing, but in silence.

You can download a manual for the organ from the Allen Organ website, which used to be free but I believe they now make a small charge for older organs. I think it's found under 'Support - Maunuals - Older Organs'.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Andrew

organtechnology

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:53 pm

puffernutter wrote:I'm pretty certain that the ADC series only outputs midi signals from the manuals and pedal, not pistons, swell pedal or individual stop controls. It wasn't until the next generation, the MDS series, that full midi was implemented, from about 1990 onwards. I think your model was built in the late 80s or early 90s just, which was right at the changeover unfortunately.

It is possible to add midi to these controls but it would be necessary to break into the wiring looms to fit an add-on midi interface. Alternatively it would be much simpler to use a touch screen (or two) for the controls, although it wouldn't solve the swell control, but even this could might be possible by replacing the orginal swell pedal with a modern midi type. I've found that Allen organ consoles are generally built using basic building techniques (wood, screwed together) and can be modified fairly easily, just steer clear of the electronics. That's one of the great assets of HW, in that all the old technology can be left alone to do its own thing, but in silence.

You can download a manual for the organ from the Allen Organ website, which used to be free but I believe they now make a small charge for older organs. I think it's found under 'Support - Maunuals - Older Organs'.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Andrew

They updated the website and that no longer works for me.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing