It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

Another great is now gone

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Another great is now gone

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I was digging around on the internet the other night looking up various French Baroque organ videos and although I am aware he passed away last November 2017, it largely went unknown to our organ community. I considered him in particular to be one of the last standing masters of the past in the interpretation and playing of French Baroque organ music and the instruments used. There are many videos of him including much interesting reading concerning his role in historical music including the building and preservation of the instruments used, including his vast playing and knowledge of Bach repertoire as well.

This video of Michel Chapuis is a very fitting tribute to what I consider one of the true greats of our time. I first heard him on 'Pipedreams' at Versailles and his playing and repertoire immediately caught my ear, I have several of his CD's, all great stuff for sure.

This is a great improvisation. Sadly you are now gone, RIP Mr. Chapuis. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zhJtpC9rU

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

engrssc

Re: Another great is now gone

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for sharing, Marc. Have to agree,, truly great.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

Re: Another great is now gone

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 am

Another very fitting piece and video I've always enjoyed. At the end of the first part of the video he's kinda like the cowboy riding off into the sunset. :lol: No thumb pistons, etc., he pulled his own stops, turned his own pages and kept going without a hint of delay.

How much fun would it be to get to play all the historical organs he's played over the years? 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzzWlcAEyQ

Marc

Return to General discussion