It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am

Switching between Organs, Launchpad won't black out the Ligh

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

markusF

Switching between Organs, Launchpad won't black out the Ligh

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi,

my search on the Forum and Manual was unsuccessful...

The setup ist 3x Doepfer d3m + Pedal + 2x Launchpad Mk2.

My Situation:

I use the Launchpads to control the stops of the VPOs. After Auto-Detect a stop, I choose "Fully on/off" -> "green" for the Launchpad, which results in "white" when the stop is off, and "red" when the stop is on. (Nothing with green :-)) But so far so good. Further to the Problem:

Let's say I start Hauptwerk and load Organ #1. On this Organ I use Knob 1-32 on the Launchpad for the stops.

Then I load a smaller Organ, Organ #2. On this Organ I use only Knob 1-8 on the Launchpad.

Here comes the Problem:

After switching from Organ #1 (32stops) to Organ #2 (8stops) the Launchpad knobs 9-32 are still illuminated white but have no functions. Knob 1-8 have the functions of the Organ #2, how it should be.

Is it possible, that Hauptwerk turn off all Launchpad keys/lights when i switch to another Organ and only illuminates the knobs which are associated with the new loaded organ?

Thanks in advanced!

Best Regards!

Markus

RaymondList

Re: Switching between Organs, Launchpad won't black out the

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm new with Hauptwerk but I'm having this same issue. I drive the Launchpads via USB from an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. I've been using the following work-around. I can just shut down Hauptwerk, pull the Thunderbolt cable out of my laptop, and immediately plug it back in and restart Hauptwerk. This recycles the Launchpads, making all the unused switches 'dark' again.

It certainly would be nice if the unused switches would turn off when a new organ loads, but I can get around it quite easily. Perhaps you could do something like this too. Even without doing this, the lighted but unused switches are just a little distracting - they don't cause any issues.
Ray

markusF

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 3:28 am

Hello Raymond,

thank you for your help.

I was hoping there would be a more elegant way than pulling the plug :-) I wanted to use the Hauptwerk without a screen and also command the change between the organs via a Launchpad button. In this way, I would need a screen to start Hauptwerk again. My example with the 8 buttons was very simplified. I usually arrange the registers on the Launchpad like the original register. If then unnecessary buttons light up that is very irritating.

Does anyone else have experience with it? I do not seem to be the only one.

Thank you and best regards
Markus

IainStinson

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 am

The support in the current version of HW is for the "original" version of the Launchpad. Is your Launchpad an original one or a newer model?

The MK2 version is not fully compatible with the original device. I have an original Launchpad and not noticed any problems such as you describe.

You might find so information of interest in these threads:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15809&hilit=launchpad+2 and
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16142&p=121229&hilit=launchpad+2+MK2+MK2#p121226

You could always configure the Launchpad buttons which are not required for a particular sample set to some "harmless" action (for example Registration setter off).

Iain

RaymondList

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 8:18 am

IainStinson wrote:The support in the current version of HW is for the "original" version of the Launchpad. Is your Launchpad an original one or a newer model?

The MK2 version is not fully compatible with the original device. I have an original Launchpad and not noticed any problems such as you describe.

Iain

The MK2 issues reported on the forum is what I attributed the 'lights staying on" problem to. After reading on the forum all the issues with the MK2, I was quite happy they seem to work as well as they do. I guess I'm just so happy getting Hauptwerk off the ground I'm easy to please. I actually have a more annoying problem with my new setup. Sometimes, the left and right Launchpad definitions will switch sides (left and right) when starting up an organ. It seems to be random. I look left for Pedal stops and find they are on the right! I'm not certain this is really a MK2 issue. I'm running a new MacBook Pro with only Thunderbolt 3 ports and using a top-of-the-line OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock with 5 powered USB ports (among other ports). I'm somewhat concerned that it is in this adapter where the USB ports are getting mixed up. I'll keep plugging away at finding solutions.
Ray

markusF

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi Iain,

Thank you for your answer. I have 2x Launchpad MK2. Now the difference between "Original" and "Mk2" in relation to Hauptwerk has become clear to me. Thank you. This with the "harmless" actions is a good tip :-)

I read in another post from Mdyde that v5 is expected to be released by the end of 2018 and should fix the problem. That means the wait could be worth it :-)

@Raymond: You wrote that your launchpads swap. Did you try to set the device ID to 1 for the first and 2 for the second? If you plug in the plug you have to hold "Session + User1 + User2 + Mixer" and start the bootloader. The first button on the top left sets the ID to 1, the second button to 2. Also in the manual. Maybe that will help you?

Then I'll wait and often pull the plug. :-))

Best regards
Markus

markusF

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi Iain,

Your tip was gold. I use the Master Reversible Combinations for the unused Launchpad buttons of an organ. I will not need the combinations at first. If all switches are occupied by one organ, it is no longer a problem to switch to another.

Thanks alot!

Markus

RaymondList

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 pm

markusF,
Thanks for this tip. I'm giving it a try. It was a little painful, since after I gave them the ID's, Hauptwerk thought the 'old' ones were gone, and I connected 'new' LaunchPads. I went through and redefined both LaunchPad's stop assignments for the four organs I have. Now I'll just have to wait and see if this has worked. I'm very hopeful and will be very happy if this has solved my problem. Thanks again very much for this tip!
Ray
Ray

David Baldwin

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 6:53 am

I too have the problem. I had a launchpad 1 and had no problems. But the illumination of the buttons was pour.
After a few years I came across a launchpad 2 at a good price. I installed it and the buttons shone. However the variation of colours did not match Launchpad 1. I have built a translation table to choose the now limited colour pallets. However that is better than the dull launchpad 1.
However I also had the problem of buttons remaining on when the organ is changed. This was a little bit irritating but I only use the Launchpad for functional items, such as manual and general pistons, stepper control and control of floating manuals. My Launchpad is the same for all organs.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

Return to Technical support