It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

Teensy Audio Power Switch

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Teensy Audio Power Switch

PostSun May 13, 2018 10:56 am

I will be writing a script to modify my Teensy LCD Project to receive HW Sysex status information, specifically in this case to turn on four power outlets in sequence when HW sends the Organ Ready status. This is simply a new sketch that will work with or without the PCB board shown in the Teensy LCD thread, so no new picture is needed here. The project will use the Teensy 3.6 as that is the model I have in hand, but there's no reason not to do the same with the 3.5 or the 3.2 versions.

Thanks to Ed for a private message that prompted me to do this. I have automated the power to my amps and powered speakers for years in a similar manner using my own encoder designs, but this will allow adding the feature without purchasing an expensive decoder just for that purpose.

bryanbierbaum

Re: Teensy Audio Power Switch

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 pm

I am eagerly awaiting this! Thanks for your contributions.

jkinkennon

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 am

With three console projects going I've let this sketch slide a bit. I'll get to it soon as I need it for at least one of my consoles. Soon means within a month at most.

engrssc

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 4:36 pm

jkinkennon wrote: Soon means within a month at most.

Faster than would be with my schedule. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 am

Ed, I'll take a look at it today. I can send the unit right way if you want to load the sketch yourself -- do you have Arduino setup with Teensy on your computer? If all goes well I'll send it out programmed today or tomorrow.

jkinkennon

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Here's the board with one possible configuration. This setup drives two serial enabled 3.3v LCD displays, solid state relays to switch console power and audio power (OrganReady), a four LED crescendo display, and has inputs for a console power switch and an audio power override switch. Lots of mods are possible -- see the Teensyduino code on my web site.

There's also a Teensy organ encoder project in the works for multiple keyboards, pistons, stops, etc.

jbittner

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 8:45 am

Very cool!
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

jkinkennon

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 10:09 am

The bare PCBs can be ordered from OSH Park here: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/jwa4E5lh
I don't have a parts list at hand but the connectors are a common Molex part. Email me if more info is needed.

There are a lot of easy reconfigurations that could be accomplished by adding or removing the resistors and making minor programming changes. It should be possible to decode any of the MIDI console status output messages shown in the HW User Guide beginning on page 222.

The voltage regulator is for 3.3v (C33CV) and the driver IC is the ULN2803N.EDIT: Note that the price shown of about $28 is for a set of three boards. That works out to roughly $50 each assembly including the Teensy 3.6, PCB, and the parts. A similar organ encoder/decoder board with 4 SPI connections, 8 general purpose drivers, and 8 pot inputs is in the works subject to a little testing. This will be for the hardware as I'm not sure how the actual programming will progress.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI