It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:17 am

Organ table specs, drawings

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

phillyorganist

Organ table specs, drawings

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 8:29 am

I’m looking to get a custom organ table made to match some walnut key checks that were made for me a few years ago. I’m looking for plans for such a table showing measurements such as height of the table top, (based on AGO specs of pedal to keys), width, depth, back panel measurements to accommodate pedalboard, position of cutout for swell shoes etc. would anyone be willing to share plans of a table they made?

Thank you
Jim Pavlock
Jim

organtechnology

Re: Organ table specs, drawings

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 am

Hi Jim,

What are you planning for a budget to get such a table made?
You might do well to look at Custom Organ Works offerings in this regard.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

phillyorganist

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm

I know I can get one from Classic or elsewhere, but for various reasons I’m looking for a custom walnut table to match some keyboard cheeks and am looking to have the guy who made the cheeks do a table. Thanks.
Jim

robsig

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 2:47 pm

You might look for a cabinet-maker on Walnut Street… (Philadelphia inside-joke)

As for the specs, here is what I found:

http://www.westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf

I made my table based on these specs. Only thing that didn't work out to my liking was the height of the swell pedal which I can't operate from a pedal note that I'm holding down with the same foot.

You might want to adapt the table height to your own measurements.

RS (originally from Philly, 50 years ago)

phillyorganist

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Yes, I’ve seem this, and am incorporating the AGO specs into the design of course, but I’m still interested in getting more detailed table specs that show exactly where the swell pedal cutout is, length width and height of table, etc. looking for drawings of an actual table that’s been made. Thanks!
Jim

robsig

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello Jim.

Well it will depend on what you want to install on your table. Do you want the speakers to sit on a shelf behind the music-stand or not on the table at all. Do you want to mount one or two touch-screens on the table, integrated into the cabinet or not? Do you want to include stop knobs or buttons on your table? Do you want extra space beside the keyboards to put headphones, piles of music, a computer mouse and pad? Do you want a sliding computer shelf under the table for easy access to the computer? There are so many possibilities, it all depends on how much space you have available and what you would like for your design.

There are lots of examples here:
viewforum.php?f=21
http://www.pcorgan.com/Fotos2EN.html

Enjoy! Keep us posted.

RS

GrahamH

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:13 am

Hi Jim

The exact dimensions that you are looking for - especially things like where to make the cut-out for the expression pedals and how deep (front to back) to make the key desk will vary according to the dimensions of your particular pedal board, expression pedals and keyboard stack, so I would suggest you start here:
http://www.organworks.co.uk/brit_console_dimensions.pdf
then design your console to accommodate your particular components.
In my opinion, this British specification is a bit more detailed and results in a more comfortable console than the AGO specification.
You may also find this helpful:
http://www.pykett.org.uk/simple-console-virtual-pipe-organ.htm

Good luck
Graham

IainStinson

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 am

Perhaps a little off topic, but...

Have you considered adding small drawers on both sides of the console (beneath the stop jambs) in which you could install virtual organ controls which are not normally found on real pipe organs. A few pipe organ builders do this in the UK for various controls so that the main visible console is not unduly "cluttered" with controls not needed whilst playing. You could possibly install a Launchpad in one of the drawers to which you could assign various Hauptwerk controls. (I have a Launchpad on a surface to the right of the console which controls loading sample sets, selecting combination files, starting and stopping recording and powering the system down. )

Iain

phillyorganist

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 2:30 pm

The drawers sound like a nice idea, partocularly if there was a way to hide the computer itself behind the co sole underneath. Im noy familiar with what Launchpad is though.

As much as it might nice to incorporate the touchscreen or even soeakers i to a large console, i think as a practical matter all i need, and can afford, is a sinple table like the Classic Organ Works console table, with the speakers on the floor and the touchscreen on an articulating atm attached to one aide of the table. The ohitos one oerson sent in a link are helpful.

Really jisr lookokg for actual table soecs for a table similar to the Classic organ Works table. Not too fancy, but Functional.

Thanks!
Jim

organtechnology

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 1:33 pm

phillyorganist wrote:The drawers sound like a nice idea, partocularly if there was a way to hide the computer itself behind the co sole underneath. Im noy familiar with what Launchpad is though.

As much as it might nice to incorporate the touchscreen or even soeakers i to a large console, i think as a practical matter all i need, and can afford, is a sinple table like the Classic Organ Works console table, with the speakers on the floor and the touchscreen on an articulating atm attached to one aide of the table. The ohitos one oerson sent in a link are helpful.

Really jisr lookokg for actual table soecs for a table similar to the Classic organ Works table. Not too fancy, but Functional.

Thanks!

Drawers sound like a nice idea but they are not. The AGO specifications are such that unless you make your console at least a foot wider than you need, you will hit your knees on the drawers. We added Toy Drawers using launch pad minis to a Rodgers 322 cabinet and you really need to be careful getting on and off the bench to not hit your knees.

Respectfully,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

organtechnology

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 1:38 pm

phillyorganist wrote:I know I can get one from Classic or elsewhere, but for various reasons I’m looking for a custom walnut table to match some keyboard cheeks and am looking to have the guy who made the cheeks do a table. Thanks.

Matt's table and key cheeks are the nicest looking and most economical way to get what you want. If you are looking for ready made plans to take to your cabinet maker, you are probably going to be disappointed.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Thomas

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI