It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

Salisbury General Foot Pistons

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

hytheman

Salisbury General Foot Pistons

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 3:55 am

Apologies if the answer is obvious, but can anyone shed light on the GENERAL FOOT PISTONS stop at the bottom right of the Salisbury Great division? I can't find any information about it. Thanks.

CWEB

Re: Salisbury General Foot Pistons

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 6:55 am

Normally this stop turns the swell or pedal toe pistons into copies of the general thumb pistons.

Agnus_Dei

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 pm

hytheman wrote:Apologies if the answer is obvious, but can anyone shed light on the GENERAL FOOT PISTONS stop at the bottom right of the Salisbury Great division? I can't find any information about it. Thanks.

Hi hytheman,

CWEB is correct about the GENERAL FOOT PISTONS question.

For the greatest "flexibility," make sure that the GREAT & PEDAL COMBINATIONS ARE ON!

Then set each of your Pedal Pistons to "balance" with each successive Great Piston. When you press a Great Piston, the "matching" Pedal Piston will automatically be drawn with it. This will keep you Great and Pedal balanced, and add flexibility without having to always resort to General Pistons.

My article about pistons may be helpful to you: :D

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... limit/1000

Peace,

David

jwillans

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 1:59 am

Agnus_Dei wrote:
hytheman wrote:Apologies if the answer is obvious, but can anyone shed light on the GENERAL FOOT PISTONS stop at the bottom right of the Salisbury Great division? I can't find any information about it. Thanks.

My article about pistons may be helpful to you: :D

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... limit/1000

Peace,

David

David - I enjoyed your article - thanks for writing and sharing. What surprised me was that until reading this, I hadn't considered that an organist would use anything other than the additive approach you describe!

josq

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 am

jwillans wrote:What surprised me was that until reading this, I hadn't considered that an organist would use anything other than the additive approach you describe!

Being unfamiliar with Anglican registrations, I found Davids article extremely useful. Here in The Netherlands, organs are commonly entirely mechanical. No pistons, and certainly no divisionals. So organists here have a quite different mindset regarding registrations, I guess. If you are interested, I can try to tell a bit more (perhaps in a separate topic).

mnailor

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm

josq: I would be interested in that if you're willing to take the time. Thank you!

dhm

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm

“Divisional” combinations are, I think, unique to the English-speaking world, probably because of the way organs are used in our liturgies.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to Hauptwerk instruments