It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

Dual Touch Screens and Windows 10

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

jrball

Dual Touch Screens and Windows 10

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 pm

I bought two Dell touch screen monitors a few years ago for eventual use in HW.
They have an optical touch system built into the monitor that connects to the PC via USB.
This week I finally got around to trying a real dual monitor setup.

It doesn't work as needed.
The display setting "Extend" allows me to move a window into the second screen. That's as desired.
If I move the mouse pointer into the second screen I can drag a window around. Sort of OK.

However, any touch in the second screen refers back to the first screen. That won't do.
I need a way to associate the second screens USB (touch) with that screen instead of the first screen.
Any ideas?

chr.schmitz

Re: Dual Touch Screens and Windows 10

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello jrball,

Try that: https://ctouch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003949829-How-can-I-setup-multiple-touch-screens-in-Windows-10-

In case you cannot find or open Tablet PC Settings, try that:

• Go to the Desktop.
• Right click on the Desktop and select New > Shortcut.
• In the location of the item window, Copy/Paste the following:
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}
• Click the Next button and type the name Tablet PC Settings.
• Click the Finish button.
• Double Click the new shortcut and it should open the Table PC Settings window.

This tip worked for me.

Chris

jrball

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 am

Great suggestion, thanks.
The Tablet PC screen says Mon 1 is digital and Mon 2 is analog (touch is not available).
Mon 1 connects via HDMI cable and Mon 2 connects via VGA cable.

If I "Duplicate" the displays both have touch.
If I "Entend" the displays both have touch but Mon 2 touches appear on Mon 1 rather than Mon 2.
I tried a DVI to VGA adapter for Mon 2 but Tablet PC still has it as analog (VGA cable).
If I unplug the USB the touch goes away so it's not the VGA at issue.

Tablet 2 does not give good advice - it says Mon 2 is Analog and cannot have touch; but it does.
Mon 2 has good touch in "Duplicate" mode and phantom touch in "Extend" mode.

Problem is how to link each USB to its own monitor in "Extend" mode.
Still seeking answers.

Sylvaticus

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 am

I have had good luck with this: https://pluralinput.com/

It is still in beta and you will have a different colored pointer for each "mouse" that will remain on the screen, but it should work once set up correctly.

Organorak

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 5:28 pm

I have twin touch monitors. Both have an HDMI (digital) input but that's only because my C has two graphics cards. Having one on the digital lead and the other on VGA shouldn't affect the touch as touch is a sort of mouse like position on the screen, nothing to do with the type of video signal reaching the screen. The only disadvantage of having VGA and DVI to two identical screens would be that the colours and sharpness will be slightly different. Buying the best possible VGA cable will improve the colour fidelity (as it's an analogue signal - a more expensive HDMI cable won't do anything to the picture quality....)

Regarding setting up touch to control two screens, it is a fiddle but your PC should recognise if you have more than one screen. I have three (the central music desk screen isn't touch operated however). When I run the tablet menu one screen comes up with a message saying touch it to set the touchscreen. After a few seconds the message comes onto the second screen, which I touch (if it's the second touchscreen - if it moves onto the central music desk I wait for the message to come onto the third screen then touch that one). By tapping each touch screen when that screen has a message saying touch it if it's a touchscreen hopefully they will retain the correct settings in future so you don't have the situation of tapping one screen and finding the mouse moves on the other screen. If it doesn't work, try again...and again....until it works....

jkinkennon

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm

If the primary screen is not a touchscreen then Windows 10 has problems and insists that the first touch interface go with the primary screen. I haven't seen a fix for this though I no longer check every new beta release. Two touch screens are easy enough though.

jrball

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I wonder if my problem may be the video card.
I bought another HDMI cable so I now have one HDMI and one DVI-D/HDMI display connection. Both digital.

Tablet PC cycles between the two screens asking for touch but only recognizes one screen for touch.
It says the other does not have touch capability. Uses the wording "the touchscreen" implying only one Touch screen is possible.

When touched, the second screen activates apps on the first screen.

The AMD display utility does not address the touch issue at all.

Video cards are so expensive now I may not resolve this issue for a long time.
Only option is to go back to the bothersome details of configuring 6 or 8 Launchpads.
For one organ I could paste individual labels on the Launchpad buttons but for multiple organs the removable sheets are awkward.

IainStinson

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 am

I don’t think the problem is the video card as you say the extended desktop is working correctly.

I would check each monitor one at a time to confirm that they both work as touch screens. This would show that the touch element of the screen and each usb connection was working. If the each works correctly as the only touch screen on the system, then try setting the upas an extended screen and follow the advice given above.

Iain

jrball

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks. Tried that, again and again.
Tablet PC says:
#1 Pen and limited touch support
#2 No pen or touch input is available for this display.

Actually both accept touch but the affect of that touch appears (to have been made) on the primary screen rather than the touched screen.

Reversing the two HDMI cables reverses the above capabilities.
One is HDMI the other is DVI-D with an HDMI adapter.

Maybe the solution is a video card with two real HDMI outputs?

dhm

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 pm

This may or may not work, but it’s a suggestion worth trying - you have nothing to lose.
Try getting the eGalax Touch drivers from here: http://www.eeti.com.tw/drivers_Win.html.
Make sure both your monitors have a USB connection.
The eGalax Touch menu box should show *two* “USB controller” icons - one per screen.
“Monitor mapping” will show you which screen is which.
Then use the Tools tab to do a 4-point calibration on each screen, and then on the Settings tab un-tick the check- boxes for beeps.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

jrball

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Both screens have USB touch interfaces.
eGalax interesting idea but nothing happened.

Monitor mapping -> Device not found
Add -> No more controllers

It doesn't see my Video card, perhaps it wants controllers bought from eGalax?
Don't see eGalax drivers in Device Manager.

dhm

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 am

jrball wrote:Both screens have USB touch interfaces.
eGalax interesting idea but nothing happened.

Monitor mapping -> Device not found
Add -> No more controllers

It doesn't see my Video card, perhaps it wants controllers bought from eGalax?
Don't see eGalax drivers in Device Manager.

Thanks for the quick report back.
Can I assume that you downloaded, installed and launched the eGalax Touch driver?
If so, I'm surprised that nothing at all seems to have happened.
AFAIK eGalaxTouch is not specific to any particular video card or monitor brand - I normally use the on-board graphics of the motherboard, though I have also used the same drivers where I had to install a separate graphics card. So it shouldn't need to look for a video card.
Most of our touchscreens have been AOC-branded (but custom-built), but we also use Lenovo and Acer units. And we use Windows 7 (Home Premium and Pro) and 10 (Home). No problem. Ever. (Except with Macs.)
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

jrball

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 7:31 am

eGalaxTouch_5.14.0.17525-Release-180525-SingleTouchDev

Installed again and rebooted to make sure.
Same results: nothing seen.
I have an AMD Radeon R5 200 series video card about 4 years old.
Thanks for trying.

organtechnology

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 12:08 pm

jrball wrote:I bought two Dell touch screen monitors a few years ago for eventual use in HW.
They have an optical touch system built into the monitor that connects to the PC via USB.
This week I finally got around to trying a real dual monitor setup.

It doesn't work as needed.
The display setting "Extend" allows me to move a window into the second screen. That's as desired.
If I move the mouse pointer into the second screen I can drag a window around. Sort of OK.

However, any touch in the second screen refers back to the first screen. That won't do.
I need a way to associate the second screens USB (touch) with that screen instead of the first screen.
Any ideas?

I have wrestled with this issue many times and won but the Win 10 environment is a bit different than the Win 7 OS system. So have you tried this?

https://ctouch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... 5003949829

It seems that you must have the video and touch cables connected to run it. If it works you do not need the drivers so I would uninstall all the drivers you have tried before performing this procedure as they may interfere.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jrball

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes, the first idea from this forum that I tried, over and over.
Only recognizes one screen for touch.
Sorry, but that's how it is here; with this video card maybe!
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs