It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 am

Best Reed Sounds?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

Best Reed Sounds?

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 am

All...

I happen to love the strong reeds of the most Spanish Cathedral organs, but am wondering... Are there other samples available that have reeds to rival those magnificent ones in Spain?

I've a few samples that have some pretty nice reeds but always looking to improve the sound.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

sesquialtera

Re: Best Reed Sounds?

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:12 am

Hello Captain

My first idea about strong reeds is St Maximin ...

seh52

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 am

The strongest reed anywhere, the Trumpet Royale, as well as any most other reed you might want, may be found on the CLR Great Organs of FCCLA! (Disclosure...I was on the team that produced that sample set, though I do not profit from sales.)

That said, the reeds from Sonus Santanyi, St. Maximim, Caen and Rotterdam impress. English Father Willis reeds from Silver Octopus Studio 80 include a great tuba.

Reed stops on most sample sets need "tonal finishing" to suit preferences. Useful touches include tuning them flat of the flues, treble ascendant and/or bass descendant tuning and voicing, and turning up their general volume until they blast as loud as you like!

1961TC4ME

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:09 am

Part of it will depend on what type of music you're into or plan to play. I'll third (or is it 4th now? :wink: ) the recommendation of St. Max here which in fact I just enjoyed playing this morning, but of course this instrument is pretty much for French Baroque only. You want reeds? St. Max has got them in spades and then some. They go from somewhat (take that with a grain of salt) intimate where you can use one Trompette alone for a nice solo line in a Basse de Trompette as an example, or you can crank things up to nearly blowing your hair back, especially if you combine them and use the Clarions as well. Then you have the Bombarde 16's as well which makes things very interesting and is quite pleasing.

Best reed sounds? Well, there again it depends on what your into. I like the reeds of St. Max a lot, but they have their place and purpose. I also like the reeds of the Armley Schulze, but they're a completely different kind of animal. They stand out quite nicely but they are not at all brash and kinda in your face like things can get with St. Max.

Marc

lefranc22

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am

Very bright chamades for the AVO Savaria Cathedral
http://02.hauptwerk-augustine.info/Savaria-History/
Also SP Forcalquier with two 8' trompettes for the Great
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/france/forcalquier-france.html

1961TC4ME

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Here's a good example of the St. Max reeds in action. Enjoy! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qLWw2zXg0k

Marc

scottherbert

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Ah Pat, a veritable smorgasbord of replies!!! Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder! While one person loves the firey brilliance of a Spanish Trompeta Real, another relishes the rounder tone on a more bellicose Trumpet. :roll:

I like them all in their own place, from Cavaille-Coll to whoever!

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

josq

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 am

The Rotterdam main organ sample set has a chamade division inspired by Spanish organs.

lefranc22

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:33 am

I like them all in their own place, from Cavaille-Coll to whoever!

Well said Scott. Sure: the best spanish reeds are into the spanish organs. And it is easy to find such organs for Hauptwerk. I think that SP Santanyi is the best. But SP Palma is not bad, as OAM Frechilla.

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am

Metzler-OAM-Le Poblet has a beautiful set of reed stops (10 ranks) Spanish style.

OrganoPleno

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 am

lefranc22 wrote:Well said Scott. Sure: the best spanish reeds are into the spanish organs. And it is easy to find such organs for Hauptwerk.

Don't forget the 1776 Tadeo Ortega Organ Sample by OAM in Capillas, Spain. A small instrument, but lots of fun!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments