It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Volume control not working on Adam A8X active monitor

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Volume control not working on Adam A8X active monitor

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am

The gain stuck at maximum after using it for a couple of years. The volume knob no longer has any effect.

I bought a replacement, so this could be a backup if I get it working.

I can't find a packing slip or receipt to use the 5 year ship-to-Adam warranty, and our electronics repair shop doesn't know the brand.

Any suggestions about how to fix it? I'm not too concerned about opening it up and violating the warranty, since I can't invoke it. The next step is recycling.

Thank you.

Grant_Youngman

Re: Volume control not working on Adam A8X active monitor

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm

I know nothing about the specific internals of this speaker's electronics. But … here's what I suspect is the most likely scenario, and worth exactly the 2 cents I charge :-)

Unlike a typical analog amplifier system, the gain control is likely not just a pot in the audio circuit. It is controlling the bias on some other solid state or IC stage in the Class D amplifier, which ultimately controls the overall gain (volume).

Since the volume level is "stuck" at max, the odds are that there is some solid state device or chip somewhere that's died and gone to heaven … not just the gain control attached to the knob.

If you had a schematic, it might be possible to puzzle out the offending device and replace it. If not .. maybe Adam would sell you the electronics package at a cost less than buying a new speaker (?) And if they will but you or someone you know don't feel confident to attempt the replacement, or if the cost of shipping it to Adam for repair out of warranty is more than the cost of the new one, then …put it in the chipper (and maybe save the speakers and other mechanical parts for a future project).

On the other hand, maybe you just need a new gain control. What you DO need is a schematic. I told you this was only worth 2 cents :-)
Grant

mnailor

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Thank you. That tells me what I needed to know: this is beyond my ability to understand. Chipper it is.

engrssc

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 pm

If you have an electronic device that you can use between the audio source and the speaker's input, you could use that device to control the gain/volume.

Rgds,
Ed

nrorganist

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Looking for replacement parts on eBay, only the power switch is listed:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAM-A7-A7X-A3 ... SwWxNYtfQt

A completely overkill possibility is a replacement amplifier:
http://digirepair.com/adam-a8x-replacem ... ifier.html

where $342.14 is very expensive. But if it fixes a $1000 MSRP unit?

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm

engrssc wrote:If you have an electronic device that you can use between the audio source and the speaker's input, you could use that device to control the gain/volume.

Rgds,
Ed

This is true. I used to have several of these things, that were pretty useful for that purpose. They're inexpensive enough to be worth a shot ...

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty-stereo-attenuator
Grant

NickNelson

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 3:11 pm

engrssc wrote:If you have an electronic device that you can use between the audio source and the speaker's input, you could use that device to control the gain/volume.

Minimally, particularly if you are using the RCA input (rather then the XLR) such a device is called a potentiometer. Cost: a £ (or $ - they're about the same now) or two. If you are using the XLR input it would be a little (but not much) more complicated.

Hope you haven't recycled it yet!

Nick

murph

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Most likely, either the soldering on the ground side of the volume pot has gone dicky, of the pot its-self has.
Take the back off and heat all three legs of the volume pot till the solder is liquid (one at a time!).
Try it then. If still not working, find a replacement, or an in-line pot, as advised above. There's no need to chuck it.

P.s. Why do you not use your sound card for level control? Much easier........

mnailor

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Interesting ideas -- thank you!

Using the RME UFX's fader to reduce the level did work, but the result with the amp boosting the low signal so high is audibly dirtier sounding, so I bought a new one.

It was on balanced TRS-XLR cables.

My next group of new speakers won't be this expensive, for sure.

magnaton

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm

mnailor wrote:Any suggestions about how to fix it? I'm not too concerned about opening it up and violating the warranty, since I can't invoke it. The next step is recycling.

Hopefully your definition of recycling is "store it for spare parts, particularly the drivers, for your working units!"
Audiolab in Doraville is the authorized repair company for Behringer. Since Adam and Behringer are both of German ancestry . . . :-) It wouldn't hurt to contact them.
http://www.audiolabga.com

Danny B.

mnailor

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Audiolab is less than an hour away. I'll give them a try. Thanks!

Return to Amplification