It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Connect HW-computers with couplers

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

CatOrg

Connect HW-computers with couplers

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 6:48 pm

I am quite unsatisfied with the "normal" solutions I read mostly.

I explain: when I practice organ on a real one, I have , possibly, (lets speak about the usual north german construction) sound coming coming from a source in front of me but higher (Hauptwerk) one coming from behind me (Rückpositiv) and one coming from farer outside (pedal towers). To make an acceptable audio, I have already 8 channels (2 for the Hauptwerk 2 for the RÚckpositiv and 2 for each tower).

I would do this with 3 little computers, I guess, but my question is: how to connect all this, that I can used the couplers? I mean in this case the RP-HW would have to send twice the midi orders from the HW-keyboard, one to the HW computer, one to the RP computer. Is this feasible?

Thanks in advance

jkinkennon

Re: Connect HW-computers with couplers

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 10:44 am

There is no need for three computers to route audio to different speaker locations. Many of us are running 8 to 10 speakers and in some cases over 50 speakers from a single computer running Hauptwerk. Read the Hauptwerk User Guide as a starting point and then begin building a system.

Most of us find more value in using the HW audio groups for output allocation based on cycling audio to multiple speakers for added clarity. It is also possible to route to multiple physical locations such as left and right chambers for theater organs and the physical locations(high, low, rear) that you describe. With enough speakers one can accomplish both methods. Keep in mind that setting up audio groups by division is wasteful in the sense that some speakers will be silent based on which manuals are played. Still, if the physical locations add realism then that's a valid approach.

RichardW

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 1:30 pm

If you have the Advanced version of Hauptwerk, you can use "Audio Output Groups".

You should create three, one each for Hauptwerk, Ruckwerk and Pedals.

Then via settings in Hauptwerk you assign the Hauptwerk pipes to the Hauptwerk Audio Output Group and then assign that group to the relevant audio channels. Repeat for the other groups.

Page 164 of the Hauptwerk User Guide has the details.

Regards,
Richard

engrssc

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Another good source of information - such things as "Setting up high quality multiple channel audio and speakers is described, with details of software adjustments for voicing virtual organs."

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/kenneth-spencer/all-about-hauptwerk/paperback/product-22728874.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IRvB5oV6Pg

Routing audio (esp multi channel) in Hauptwerk is probably the more involved of any of the setup functions.

Rgds,
Ed-

CatOrg

PostSun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks. One good point to choose advanced HW.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing