It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

Where are the loading files?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ludu

Where are the loading files?

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Loading a sample set for the first time, Hauptwerk is creating a file somewhere. In my case, I have installed and loaded the 3 versions of Görlitz, but I probably will use only the full version. If I uninstall the small and medium versions (organs and not data, of course), can I remove those heavy files in this way? If not, where are those files?
Luc

mnailor

Re: Where are the loading files?

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 2:23 pm

I don't have Goerlitz, but usually most of the disk space is in the data components and cached samples, while the ODFs and user settings are small. Uninstalling two of the three organs would keep the data files, but would clean up the ODF, and also the settings and cache if you had loaded the smaller organs. So disk space saved might be very little unless you had previously loaded the organs you're uninstalling.

You could also delete the downloaded rar files after installation, but I'd keep a backup in case you want to reinstall.

I wouldn't delete any files created by Hauptwerk except through uninstall.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 1:54 am

Hello Luc,

When HW first starts an ODF it creates a cache file in ‎⁨⁨Hauptwerk⁩/HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles⁩/ConfigX-OrganCaches⁩ (X = 0, 1, 2 or 3 depending on which configuration you start), a settings file (plus backup file) in Hauptwerk⁩/HauptwerkUserData⁩/ConfigX-OrganSettings⁩ (X = 0, 1, 2 or 3) and
a folder for organ combinations in ⁨Hauptwerk⁩/⁨HauptwerkUserData⁩/OrganCombinations⁩.

If you delete the ODF with the HW un-install function (Hauptwerk > File > Uninstall organ or temperament ...) HW will also delete the cache file. If you also want to delete the organ settings and combinations you have to answer 'Yes', when HW asks "One or more organ definitions were removed. Would you like Hauptwerk to delete the settings and combination sets for those organs?".

In order to make a recommendation, you have to find out, whether the three versions of Görlitz have the same UniqueOrganID or not (Open the ODF with a text editor and search for <Identification_UniqueOrganID>, which can be found in the node <_General>.). If the three versions have different UniqueOrganIDs you can safely remove the settings and configuration files, if not, you probably want to keep them. As both settings and configuration files do not require lots of disk space, you may want to keep them anyhow.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Chris

ludu

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:33 am

Hello mnailor and Chris,

Many thanks for your tips. I am very glad to know where my cache files are placed, because in the case of Görlitz, the small and medium versions spend 25 GB on my SSD.

Cordially,
Luc

evertjan

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 am

All the 4 Görlitz editions have unique organ ID's, so there is a possibility of 4 organ cache files.
But, the full version also needs the demo, small and medium version installation packages to make a full organ cache file.
So, you may not uninstall these packages.

The only thing you can do is as you have written: uninstall the Görlitz demo, small and medium organs if you ever created these organs, so these cache files are deleted from the SSD and use the Hauptwerk function for this as written by Chris.
Remaining is the full edition organ cache file and the 4 install packages.

ludu

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 am

For information, the full version of Görlitz does not need the demo version (I have not installed it), but the small and medium. I have chosen to remove only the cash files of the small and medium versions, so I don’t have to reinstall all my settings if I decide later to come back to those sample sets. Many thanks for all your comments.
Luc

evertjan

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 am

Luc

you are correct.
The demo version is included in the small version.
Sorry about this.

giwro

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:37 pm

One other way to reduce the cache without uninstalling is to 'load organ adjusting rank audio/memory options /routing"

- Select the organ you wish to "de-cache"
- when the load screen comes up, select all of the ranks
- choose to NOT load any of them

Load the organ - the cache will be regenerated, but only the images will be cached, so the file will be very small

Enjoy....
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

ludu

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 4:24 am

Very clever tip! Many thanks giwro.
Luc

Return to Technical support