It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

Now Released!!! Furtwängler & Hammer, Kaiserdom Königslutter

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

TheOrganDoc

Re: Coming soon

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 7:09 pm

One major benefit that Hauptwerk provides, Is that the regular tuning' s that Pipe Organs require, are never needed, But the slight D-tuning that happens the day after tuning a live Pipe Organ does not happen in Hauptwerk, another reason to curtail, re-tuning a new sample set in Hauptwerk.
BTW a friend of mine had an Aeolene free reed clarinet, it never needed much tuning but when it did the lower half slid in and out to tune it and the Reed itself could be tuned as any reed organ or accordion reed is tuned ! The tonal quality of this Clarinet, is very orchestral
! ! ! Mel

ReinerS wrote:I suppose it will be good! Acoustics in the cathedral are enormous, so with four channel technique the set will be adjustable between wet and soaking wet. Main mikes are place in line with the organ facade about 10 m away from the pipework, giving both exceptional clarity and great acoustics. (Quite a challenge at about 14m above the floor).
Recordings in progress this week, planned release later this year.
I hope to be able to post some teaser demos in a few weeks, when I'll have the first stops processed.

Best
Reiner
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Erzahler

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 2:29 am

Could your web site be updated with a few details to help promote this sample?

adri

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm

There is a certain warmth and grandeur about this instrument that is very, very appealing. What nice acoustics in this well played Mendelsohn piece!

I regret that there are no 16' reeds in the manual(s), and in general only few reeds.

I cannot get over how beautiful and unique and colorful the interior of this church is. Simply amazing!

The organ case is rather wide and low; a little odd looking and lacking in majestic height appearance, but what a sound in this space!

I look forward to sampled sound samples and the final set. I don't have a German romantic organ yet in good acousticsm and this is most likely going to be the one!

Any idea about RAM and HD requirements?

Thanks.

ReinerS

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 am

There is a certain warmth and grandeur about this instrument that is very, very appealing. What nice acoustics in this well played Mendelsohn piece!

Thank you! Indeed this sound is wonderful, and I have the feeling that this grandeur is truly captured in the sampleset. I hope to provide some new demos shortly. Did you listen to the four pieces I posted a little more than a week ago?
I cannot get over how beautiful and unique and colorful the interior of this church is. Simply amazing!

Yes indeed, they did a fantastic job when they renovated the church in 2008-2010. The paintings actually originate from the 19th century.
I regret that there are no 16' reeds in the manual(s), and in general only few reeds.

Yes, that would indeed be nice. However, the small number of reeds is one of the typical characteristics of the german romantic period of organ building, the focus was on providing an orchestral sound based on a large number of various 8' stops, all having their own individual sound. This organ does indeed have a high number of them, all in all there are 16!
An interesting element of this particular organ is that it also provides the kind of mixtures that are needed for baroque music which were normally not available in german organs of that period. It marks the beginning of a change in organ design which in the end lead to the neo-baroque organ. This organ however combines the grandeur and warmth of the romatic organ design with the mixtures in a way that seems to retain the best of both.
Any idea about RAM and HD requirements?

Yes, since all stops are processed and I only need to add the tracker action sounds. It requires roughly 21GB when loading in 24bit compressed, and about half of that for 16bit compressed. Since there is a long reverb (some tails go up to 10 seconds, most are between 6 and 8 secs) CPU power may become an issue when playing tutti, a modern 4-6 core CPU should do though.
Could your web site be updated with a few details to help promote this sample?

I am planning to start putting up information this weekend. Let's see how far I get.

adri

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 4:37 am

Thank you Reiner, it all sounds promising! :D

IainStinson

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 10:00 am

I’ve looked at the preliminary material
on the website and noticed there are no portrait stop jambs shown. Will these be included when the instrument is released?

ReinerS

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 am

IainStinson wrote:I’ve looked at the preliminary material
on the website and noticed there are no portrait stop jambs shown. Will these be included when the instrument is released?

Hi Iain,

currently I have not planned to provide portrait stop jambs, the reason being that these would look like foreign objetcs to this instrument. Nevertheless, if there is sufficient demand for such screens I might add them, but I would feel quite uneasy doing so.

Best regards
Reiner

Lougheed

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 11:16 am

And I would like to request option for left and right jams in some sort of simple format (landscape mode). I can't easily read the font pictured. Totally destroys my enjoyment of the instrument and would be a reason not to invest.

ReinerS

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am

Well, since there seems to be a demand for simple and extra easy to reed left/right pages I did add them to the set. This is what it will look like (left portrait shown as example). HW will automagically switch between landscape and portrait for the left- and right page.

The somewhat unconventional ordering of the stops matches the original order on the console, where all stop switches are in one double row above the keyboards. I am not really sure if this was the original intention but in a way they are ordered such that you get a nice crescendo within each division when you just pull out the stops one by one starting from the right.

Best regards
Reiner

IainStinson

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks.
The arrangement of the stops is little unusual but easy to read.

Iain

engrssc

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 pm

A little unusual stop arrangement, yes. Takes a little getting used to. Too bad there isn't an easy way to rearrange (them) more conventionally. Of course on my real drawknobs, I can.

I still like the drawknob labelling method as pictured on this post;

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1873&p=122334&hilit=Glebe+console#p122334

Not sure I notice a demand for simple. Unless I missed something, saw only a single inquiry.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostSun Oct 28, 2018 11:12 pm

I notice the example left/right stop arrangement image link has disappeared - could you post a copy of this on your website when convenient. Thanks.

I notice there is only a coupler for manual 1 to pedal (as on the real instrument). I assume I could use HW master couplers to add the other manual to pedal couplers. Could you consider adding these to the sample set via the left / right simple screens (only)?

Iain

1961TC4ME

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:06 pm

ReinerS

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 am

IainStinson wrote:I notice the example left/right stop arrangement image link has disappeared - could you post a copy of this on your website when convenient. Thanks.

I notice there is only a coupler for manual 1 to pedal (as on the real instrument). I assume I could use HW master couplers to add the other manual to pedal couplers. Could you consider adding these to the sample set via the left / right simple screens (only)?

Hi Iain,

don't know what happened. I'll see that I put a copy on it sometime soon. Unfortunately the shop software only works with up to six images, so I'll have to delete one of the others for it.

Regarding the couplers:
The real instrument has three couplers: I/P, II/I and III/II. Note that the II/I coupler couples through, i.e. when both I/P and II/I are drawn, you effectively also get a II/P with it. The II/II coupler however does not couple through, so III can only be coupled with II. Needless to say that any other desired coupler may be added with HW master couplers. I do not plan to add other couplers to the set itself (and I do not plan any virtual stop extensions either). The sample set will be as original as possible, with just a minor extension: manual compass extended from f''' to g''' (going up to c'''' is practically impossible from f''', it just does not sound right, especially since the samples tremulant demands time-stretching algorithms, which just don't work wo well at the high pitches). Pedal compass is extended to go from d' to f'.

The set is now almost finished, I am quite positive to be able to release it during this month!

Best regards
Reiner

1961TC4ME

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Been listening to the audio examples of this instrument as they are uploaded on CCH. Really looking forward to taking a good hard look at this instrument and likely a purchase as well! Curious to see what the asking price will be, hopefully will be within my HW budget. Knowing Reiner, he'll have it set up so a person can try out the entire instrument with the exception of pauses in sound (at least that's how I hope he does it) so a person can hear all of it vs. just parts, which should make for a very easy decision. If it sounds as good on my setup as it does in the CCH examples, this one should be a no-brainer to go ahead and purchase!

Marc
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments