It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

Anyone stocking Fatar replacement parts?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

hovudverk

Anyone stocking Fatar replacement parts?

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 am

I've tried to order some replacement rubber 'snap' bubbles for my Fatar TP6/LP keyboards from a VPO console builder, but they didn't have the parts in stock, and half a year later they still haven't managed to get hold of them from Fatar. Does anyone here know of companies that actually stock these parts? I'm starting to think I'll just have to buy new keyboards and keep the old ones as sources of future spare parts ...
Last edited by hovudverk on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrganoPleno

Re: Anyone stocking Fatar replacement parts?

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 9:23 am

hovudverk wrote:I've tried to order some replacement rubber 'snap' bubbles for my Fatar 6TP/LP keyboards from a VPO console builder, but they didn't have the parts in stock, and half a year later they still haven't managed to get hold of them from Fatar. Does anyone here know of companies that actually stock these parts? I'm starting to think I'll just have to buy new keyboards and keep the old ones as sources of future spare parts ...

Maybe these replacement strips from MidiWorks Canada would work:

https://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/prod ... ry&path=10

I've used these to repair the Fatar Keyboards which they sold me.

Four of the 12-contact type and One of the 13-contact type (for the highest Octave) are enough to repair one 61-note Keyboard.

There are detailed instructions for using them, somewhere on their Website.

Hopng this helps!

organtechnology

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am

Hi hovudverk,

If you are looking for the bubble switches with the black buttons on them for the 61TP/60LW, you may be able to purchase them through Doepfer or MIDI Works Canada. It may be easier to buy new 61TP/60 keyboards as the keyboard model in your message does not come up on the Fatar web site. If you are trying to replace the tracker touch snap bubbles, you may find it much more difficult.

Also see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17092 for bubble switch repair.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

hovudverk

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Thomas: The keyboard model is TP/6LP, not 6TP/LP as I mistakenly wrote originally (corrected now). The key contact strips are fine, it's the tracker touch bubbles that are worn out and need replacing. Two independent VPO builders have told me that it's possible to order replacements, but neither has been able to do so, so I'm afraid you're right it's difficult!

It's a shame really, because they only last a few years in a practice organ that gets daily use, and are simple enough to replace if you have the parts. Quite repairable stuff, but possibly only in theory.

Mixtuur4st

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm

No problem: in the past I ordered them at Johannus Organs in The Netherlands.

Even quite cheap.

Have fun,
Jack

engrssc

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Do the contact bubbles look like this? Just the grey contact bubbles, not the pcb.

http://www.shop.gino-midi.nl/wp-content ... NTACT2.jpg

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 9:28 am

engrssc wrote:Do the contact bubbles look like this? Just the grey contact bubbles, not the pcb.

http://www.shop.gino-midi.nl/wp-content ... NTACT2.jpg

Rgds,
Ed

No these are the switch contacts. Hovudverk wants the tracker touch bubbles without contacts and slightly different shape.

Tjg
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

organtechnology

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am

hovudverk wrote:Thomas: The keyboard model is TP/6LP, not 6TP/LP as I mistakenly wrote originally (corrected now). The key contact strips are fine, it's the tracker touch bubbles that are worn out and need replacing. Two independent VPO builders have told me that it's possible to order replacements, but neither has been able to do so, so I'm afraid you're right it's difficult!

It's a shame really, because they only last a few years in a practice organ that gets daily use, and are simple enough to replace if you have the parts. Quite repairable stuff, but possibly only in theory.

OK, here is what I was told when I tried to buy TT bubble strips. Fatar does not sell them as a separate item. The old strips must be returned to Fatar and when they next make a run or next buy these TT strips, they will add them to the run/order and then send the new ones to you. I believe the intent is to prevent the changing non TT-keybeds to TT-keybeds. So my understanding is nothing will happen until Fatar Italy receives the damaged strips and puts the order in the queue. No one at Fatar will speak English on the phone although we managed to have someone speak with them in German. Your best bet is going through someone who has a relationship with Fatar and speaks Italian.

Best regards,

Thomas

hovudverk

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 am

Jack: Here's a picture of one of the strips (if you can't see it, try this link). Is this what you managed to get from Johannus?

Thomas: Your experience makes sort of sense as seen from Fatar's perspective. Thanks for sharing. It may seem that for most of us, who don't happen to have dealers fluent in Italian, a Fatar keyboard for a heavily used practice organ needs to be regarded as a consumable item, due for replacement every few years.

GrahamH

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 5:47 am

I know an organ builder who tried several times to contact Fatar by email with absolutely no success.
Finally, in desperation he sent them a letter, typed on company headed notepaper and posted in an envelope with stamps - and received a reply by return of post!
Last time I spoke to him he had a stock of Fatar keyboards (but not spare parts, as far as I know).

Graham

Mixtuur4st

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 pm

To hovudverk:

Yes, that is what I received from Johannus.
For every manual 4 strips with 12 "bubbles" and one strip with 13.
Total; cost was less then $ 20 per manual.

Rgds, Jack

hovudverk

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 am

Jack: That's very good to know. Many thanks for sharing your experience. I'll try contacting Johannus!

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Hovudverk;

I have in the past replaced many, Bubble Contact Switches with strips purchased from a manufacturer of keyboards, I note from your photo, that the conductive coating on the Black Buttons of your contact strips, has worn down,

There are "Repair bottles of conductive contact coating available from most "Electronic Parts supply houses" so that you can clean the Black dots, then clean the PC board contacts (Carefully), Then re-Coat each Dot, Let them dry, and then reinstall them ! If any of your Bubbles are broken, you will then have to replace the strips completely ! :roll: Best wishes from, TheOrganDoc, "Mel" (Please PM me with your results !)
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

GrahamH

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:35 am

Hi Mel
You wrote
I note from your photo, that the conductive coating on the Black Buttons of your contact strips, has worn down,

It hasn't worn down - it was never there! What you see in the photo is not one of the rubber contact strips at all. It is an additional strip that Fatar fit to their keyboards in order to impart the so-called "Tracker Touch" feel (which, in my experience, bears no resemblance whatsoever to the touch of the real tracker organs that I have ever played).
Regards
Graham

hovudverk

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 5:06 am

So after more than a year I was finally able to get hold of these tracker-touch strips, thanks to Oliver Schmidt of OSI Germany, who placed the order with Fatar for me. Even for someone who orders a lot from that factory, delivery time is in the order of several months. It took almost half a year extra in my case just because I got the contact strips, not the resistance strips, the first time around.

My advice to anyone who contemplates a practice instrument with these keyboards is to get a bunch of replacement parts as soon as possible, so you have them handy when your most used keys start clacking or losing the touch resistance altogether after a few years. Or, perhaps easier, just buy an extra keyboard or two and pick replacement parts from them as you need them. One good thing about these keyboards is that they're easy to repair as long as you have the necessary parts.
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI