It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

Mix and Match USB and 5-Pin MIDI Plugs

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

George Langley

Mix and Match USB and 5-Pin MIDI Plugs

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 2:06 am

Hi all. Am looking to put two or three keyboards together with a pedalboard that uses MIDI-Hardware's PEDSCAN which provides a 5-pin MIDI plug. But the newer keyboards (M-Audio, etc.) seem to only have a USB port for direct computer connection, and no traditional MIDI In/Out/Thru 5-pin ports.
How do I connect both USB and MIDI to the computer?
1) Are there MIDI Interfaces that provide both USB and MIDI ins?
2) Or do I need a USB-to-MIDI converter for each keyboard to connect to a traditional MIDI Interface?
3) Or can I connect the pedalboard to a single-port MIDI-to-USB interface (like the Roland UM-ONE mk2), then connect all devices to a USB Hub for a single USB connection to the computer?
4) Or can each keyboard and the pedalboard's interface connect to a different USB port on the computer?
5) Something else?
Thanks.

adrianw

Re: Mix and Match USB and 5-Pin MIDI Plugs

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:09 am

Either method 3 or 4 will be fine.

engrssc

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 4:05 am

#3 with a powered USB hub which will provide a single USB to computer connection,

If you have enough USB ports on the computer, #4. If you use #4, once you establish the USB connections, do not change them (move them around to different ports) Hauptwerk will look for each specific component on a specific USB port.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:34 pm

engrssc wrote:#3 with a powered USB hub which will provide a single USB to computer connection,

If you have enough USB ports on the computer, #4. If you use #4, once you establish the USB connections, do not change them (move them around to different ports) Hauptwerk will look for each specific component on a specific USB port.

Rgds,
Ed

My experience with hubs has steered me away from hubs in general. I find it much better to connect directly to the USB ports and for those devices with 5-pin MIDI connections, use the Roland UM-one DIN-USB MIDI cable.
This allows the computer to have a full speed port on each keyboard and not just 1 of 16 channels on an already slow MIDI stream.

I never daisy chain keyboards, never.
USB connections should also be powered on at all times. There is a setting in the PC power management for doing that. Do not let the computer have control of whether the USB port is powered on or not. Lock it on.

Arrange the MIDI USB connectors with the PC keyboard (wired or wireless receiver), mouse and/or touchscreens in the first USB ports looked at by the PC (you can find out which is which under Device manager), then add the pedal board USB, keyboard 1 USB, Keyboard 2 .....Keyboard n USB. Do not leave a gap in the USB port usage. Any USB port which might change from occupied to unoccupied or have a memory stick plugged and unplugged should be above the keyboards. All this is to keep Windows from re-arranging the keyboards whenever a USB port changes. Once it is set do not rearrange the USB connectors when you have to unplug everything for some reason. Map where they go, mark them and put them back.

And that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:10 pm

organtechnology wrote:My experience with hubs has steered me away from hubs in general. I find it much better to connect directly to the USB ports and for those devices with 5-pin MIDI connections, use the Roland UM-one DIN-USB MIDI cable.

Agree except if there aren't enough computer USB ports.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 am

engrssc wrote:
organtechnology wrote:My experience with hubs has steered me away from hubs in general. I find it much better to connect directly to the USB ports and for those devices with 5-pin MIDI connections, use the Roland UM-one DIN-USB MIDI cable.

Agree except if there aren't enough computer USB ports.

Rgds,
Ed

Yes that is true but most motherboards have USB ports that are not shown on the rear cover. You must go buy a cable and connector that mounts in a slot plate. That also puts all the USB ports on the same internal USB hub.

Tjg
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

George Langley

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 1:48 am

Thanks everyone. Am currently retrofitting a Baldwin with a MIDI-hardware MRG2-based system, and had purchased a Mac Mini (4 USB ports) and a Roland UM-ONE mk2 interface for it.
This second project will be a portable set-up eventually, and was thinking the Mini and UM-ONE could be transferred between the two as required (take advantage of those alt-settings Hauptwerk installs!) But with just 4 ports on the Mini, needing one for the Key and another for the keyboard/mouse (trying to avoid battery-operated items), was thinking it might need its own computer and interface.
So sounds like invest in a good powered USB hub and can still repurpose the other two.
Thanks again.

engrssc

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 am

An alternative to a Mac Mini size wise is a HP EliteDesk mini 800 G1 i5 4590T Quad Turbo 3.0GHz available with either Win 7 Pro or Win 10 Pro. Has 6 (built-in) - USB 3 ports. (2 on the front, 4 on the rear} This unit is actually smaller than a Mac Mini and can have up to 16 GB of RAM just like the M/Mini. Can mount horizontally or vertically. Quite a few appear on eBay (used or new). Only a single internal SSD or HDD. Bluetooth adapter except you don't want battery op units.

I use a small dot of various colored nail polish to color code the USB cables along with the associated USB ports. (Nail polish remover if you make a change).

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am

George Langley wrote:Thanks everyone. Am currently retrofitting a Baldwin with a MIDI-hardware MRG2-based system, and had purchased a Mac Mini (4 USB ports) and a Roland UM-ONE mk2 interface for it.
This second project will be a portable set-up eventually, and was thinking the Mini and UM-ONE could be transferred between the two as required (take advantage of those alt-settings Hauptwerk installs!) But with just 4 ports on the Mini, needing one for the Key and another for the keyboard/mouse (trying to avoid battery-operated items), was thinking it might need its own computer and interface.
So sounds like invest in a good powered USB hub and can still repurpose the other two.
Thanks again.

Which model number?

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing