It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

New! Organ Symphony Assistant

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

laura.bela

New! Organ Symphony Assistant

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 pm

I have created a series of MP3 audio files that I thought might appeal to Hauptwerk users. This collection is called “Organ Symphony Assistant”.

There is a rich history of music written for organ and orchestra, including everything from the joyous Handel Concerti to the sublime Poulenc Organ Concerto. Most organists don’t play or study this repertoire because they simply do not have access to an orchestral ensemble. Organ Symphony Assistant changes all that. At OSA, you will find orchestra-only audio files of some of the most iconic music written for organ and orchestra.

I would appreciate anyone from the Hauptwerk audience to please take a look at Organ Symphony Assistant and let me know your thoughts. I think OSA could be a good addition to your Hauptwerk arsenal.

To learn more about Organ Symphony Assistant, go to LVBMusic.com

smfrank

Re: New! Organ Symphony Assistant

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:36 pm

What a great idea!
Going there right now.
Steve
Steven Frank

laura.bela

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks, Steve! Let me know any thoughts you may have or if anything is unclear and should be explained better.
Laura

ludu

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 4:13 am

This collection is interesting, but I regret two details:
1) no additional tempo (slow and intermediary);
2) the click is unnecessary and annoying when the orchestra is playing. Only during the silent should be enough (like Dowani collection).
Luc

laura.bela

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am

Hi Luc,

Thank you for your input.

I don’t know if you read through my entire site but, if one has a preference for a different tempo, I am willing to make an adjustment. It would be impossible for me to provide an accommodation for every person’s tempo preference. In my opinion, the better choice would be to download a free program like Audacity (audacityteam.org) and adjust the tempi to your own liking.

Click track: I originally tried the click track only on the organ solo sections but found that confusing. There are times when the orchestra is playing that a click is still necessary. I know that it is somewhat annoying but, for the purpose of study, it is ultimately necessary and a benefit in the long run. What I may work on is a less annoying but equally effective sound option.

laura.bela

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Dear Luc,

If there is an organ work that you are truly interested in, I will be happy to create a version with a click track only on the organ solo sections.

Let me know,

Laura V. Belanger
LVBMusic.com

ludu

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 5:52 am

Dear Laura,

Many thanks for your interesting explanation and your kind proposal. I will download your trial version and test it. This experience will probably generate other questions. I will keep you informed.

Indeed, using Audacity opens the way to new possibilities and gives to your project a lot of versatility. For instance, for a good practice we need not only to reduce the tempo, but also to cut the piece in segments, and not play every time from the beginning to the end.

Here some suggestions regarding to your collection for organ and orchestra:
Charles-Marie Widor: Sinfonia Sacra, opus 81
Alexandre Guilmant: Symphony No. 1, opus 42
Marcel Dupré: Cortège et Litanie, opus 19 No.2 (if the copyright does allow it)

Cordially,
Luc

laura.bela

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 am

Dear Luc,

You’re right. Audacity would also give you the flexibility to segment a piece for practice. In my practice notes that I provide for each piece (it’s a downloadable jpeg), I also include time “markers”.

The Guilmant Symphony no. 1 is already included in my collection. I believe I did search for the Dupre but could not find it. I will look again and also look for the Widor Sinfonia Sacra.

Thank you again for your input!!

Laura

ludu

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 am

Dear Laura,

A long time ago, I played Dupré’s Cortège et Litanies with orchestra, but I remember I received the score as rental part. The publisher is Alphonse Leduc in Paris. I don’t find the conductor on their site. I have just sent a request to Leduc for this score.

Regarding to Guilmant, I don’t find this symphony in your catalogue.

Best regards,
Luc

laura.bela

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks, Luc.

I just corrected that so it appears on the home page menu. Don’t know why that happened.

Laura

laura.bela

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 am

And yes, it is almost impossible to find the full score to the Cortège and Litanie. I would’ve more than happy to create an OSA audio file if I could get the score.

Laura

Return to General discussion