It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

Question Concerning Creating a Sample Set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

gsjohnson

Question Concerning Creating a Sample Set

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 11:15 am

My church is closing and its organ, a wonderful three-manual, 42 rank, 1951 Aeolian-Skinner organ will likely be sold and removed. The organ was rebuilt 10 years ago. I have no idea what's involved, but wondered if it would be possible to create a Hauptwerk sample set of this instrument before it leaves the building for an uncertain future.

Can anyone give me an idea of what's entailed, the cost, and who I would contact to preserve this instrument digitally? Thanks

takatsa

Re: Question Concerning Creating a Sample Set

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 1:56 pm

If you record the organ's sound (each pipe separately), then I'll do the rest of the work and make a sample set. And I do not ask for any money for it. :)
Search private. You can contact me
Augustine

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 pm

It is a lot of work. First, someone haa to restore the organ, voicing and tuning included. If you do it, please get church perspective samples (¡and thanks Takaska¡)
Goog luck¡
Luis

takatsa

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:01 am

The situation is not as bad as it seems. If the questioner finds me, I'll send him detailed instructions on how to record. And the rest are my job.

telemanr

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 5:37 pm

I hope this wouldn’t be a dry sample set. Those are of limited use at home. And I t’s never very satisfactory just adding reverb. They work, of course, in churches or large spaces which can generate sound reflections.
Rob Enns

takatsa

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 1:42 am

telemanr wrote:I hope this wouldn’t be a dry sample set.

I'm just working on a natural reverb. Small church - small echo, big church - big echo. And of course there are other factors as well. The vaulted ceiling gives a nice echo, the flat ceiling is dry. But now I make a sample of the organ of a huge domed church. And I'm struggling to make the huge echo do not ruin the sound.
But do not run too forward. Gsjohnson could decide whether he is interested in my offer.
I have already made two samples in a similar cooprusion with my Swiss friends: they recorded the organ's voices then I made the sample (Grenzing Organ from Geneva, Armagni-Mingor Organ from Luins) so I see the opportunity for the project.

adri

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 am

takatsa wrote: Small church - small echo, big church - big echo. And of course there are other factors as well. The vaulted ceiling gives a nice echo, the flat ceiling is dry.

May I respectfully put that into perspective: e.g. the St. Joseph's Church in Groningen, with plenty of space and a high vaulted ceiling has pretty dry acoustics. I was once in a room in the orient with wooden floors, wooden ceiling, basically a squarish "shoebox", not too high, perhaps about 500 - 625sq. meters floorplan, and absolute fantastic acoustics. The church in Leens is not small either but vaulted ceilings are not too high and the reverb is limited.
The sample set of Bergen op Zoom by Sonus Paradisi is an example of troubled acoustics: the nave has a flat ceiling, while the much higher coir has vaulted ceilings; producing two types of acoustics that basically fight each other. It is a problem there.

A lot depends on the materials used, whether stone, or wood, or dry plaster board, etc. And what kind of upholstery, how many objects in the church, pews, chairs, objects hanging on walls, etc., etc.

Also, a lot depends on how high the organ is placed and how much space is there between itself and the ceiling, and how deep the organ case is, etc. The closer to the ceiling, naturally the more direct the reflection.

takatsa

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm

That's right Adri, thanks for the valuable addition.:)

Return to Hauptwerk instruments