It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

Need Advice/Help for Upgrading to 341 with 2xTouch Monitors

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

BLF

Need Advice/Help for Upgrading to 341 with 2xTouch Monitors

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am

Hi Guys! You were all very helpful in setting up my sons Paramount 320 software with his Nord C2D, extra 3rd manual, x-keys and 27 Pedal Keys.

He's looking to upgrade to Paramount 341 with a new cpu - thinking this? - thoughts?:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by ... Id=6285800

He also wants to run two touch screen monitors so he can simultaneously view the solo/great manual screen & the accomp/pedal screen.

Looking for some sugguestions on the montiors & also the "ease" of setting up the two montors with 341 once we get it all loaded on the new CPU. Have to reprog all the x-keys though - ugh! :)

Thanks in advance as I would like this to be as plug n play as possible

organsRgreat

Re: Need Advice/Help for Upgrading to 341 with 2xTouch Monit

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 am

I'm by no means an expert on computers (my training is musical) but I have the Paramount 341 running happily on a lower specification laptop; for instance the CPU is 2.4 GHz, with two cores. So I would expect your proposed machine to have enough power to run the 341 without any problems. With HDMI, DVI and 3 DisplayPort connections is should be easily possible to run two monitors; Windows will probably detect them automatically, then the Display Settings screen can be used to split the graphics across two monitors.

This is mainly a matter of understanding how Windows “thinks”; my laptop can cope with it's own screen, plus one external monitor; or two external ones (HDMI and VGA in my case). It seems that the screen not currently operating is greyed out; you have to click on it to activate it (it turns blue); then go to a drop-down box and select “Extend desktop on 1 and 2”, or whatever numbers Windows assigns to your monitors.

Be aware that if your monitors have different definitions, Windows will run both screens at the lower figure. The 341 can of course be controlled from one screen, so you might like to see how you get on with that initially.

I find the 341 sounds much better with reverb, and if this is applied in software it increases demands on the CPU, but the specification you are looking at should be able to cope.

Is there any provision for re-installing Windows if things go drastically wrong? Some form of backup for the Operating System is advisable in case you need to start from scratch at some time in the future. The other thing I'd want to know is how much noise the computer produces. If it's going to be in the same room as the organ it needs to be quiet enough not to spoil enjoyment of the music. I've solved this by taking leads through a slot in the base of a wall in my organ room, so that the system unit is in an adjacent room. As I said I'm not a computer expert, but I hope these thoughts help a little.

IainStinson

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Just checking...
you will need the Advanced Edition of Hauptwerk for multi monitor support and probably to load the 341 sample set. (I couldn’t find the detailed requirements on the Paramount site.). You’ll need two (more) USB ports for the two touch monitors as well as the dual video output.
Iain

BLF

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Ok makes sense ---- we may just start with one touch monitor so just running 341 (with advanced hauptwerk) and keeping the reverb as outboard gear, could I get away with the same CPU I'm running 310 on?

BLF

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 pm

I see I can "upgrage" from Basic (what we have now with 320 actually, I said 310 in the last post by mistake)

If I purchased in late July, is the basic version v4? or v3?

Also can 'cross grade" from 320 to 341 it says so that's great.

Will Advanced & 341 run fine on the system we are using for Basic & 320?

Just want to make sure I can get away with the exisiting CPU - would save me quite a bit of loot :)

Also - would I want/need to clear/remove the basic edition and 310/320 sets on the CPU BEFORE installing the upgrade & cross grade?

organsRgreat

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 am

My understanding is that Hauptwerk software is identical whether one is using the Free, Basic or Advanced editions; the only difference is that the dongle allows the software to access progressively more features. No need to uninstall or reinstall anything.

The Paramount 341 should have 21 more ranks than the 320, but I wouldn't expect there to be problems with the computer you have in mind. Again no need to uninstall anything - just install the 341 from scratch.

As an example of the power of modern computers: I just bought a new machine, and with the Advanced edition of Hauptwerk feeding 20 channels, the Paramount 450, Reaper within plug-ins including Liquidsonics reverb; with all that on the go the CPU load shown in the Task Manager never goes beyond 12 percent! Yes - twelve percent. The highest I've seen was 35 percent when loading the 450 - there's a lot of data to be copied from the HDD and put into RAM. But most of the time the CPU is just ticking over :-)

BLF

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Wow ok - so do you think the CPU we are running now on windows 10 with 4GB of RAM could handle Advanced and 341 ?

organtechnology

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 pm

BLF wrote:Wow ok - so do you think the CPU we are running now on windows 10 with 4GB of RAM could handle Advanced and 341 ?

A quick look at the memory requirements listed in the Hauptwerk instruments list shows 5GB of memory required. If that is just the organ then the system will require 8GB of memory to have room for Hauptwerk and Windows. Either way 5 GB requires a 64 bit Windows to load that much memory as 32 bit Windows is limited to 4 GB max memory.
This is irrespective of which Hauptwerk version you are using. The 341 will not run in Free as it requires a licensed version to load. As you seem to be early in your Hauptwerk experience it might be better to buy a computer with Hauptwerk and the Paramount 341 loaded on it from a re-seller (there are several around, including us) so that you can plug and play. You will still need to train your Hauptwerk system to your console but the POW 341 comes with many thumb pistons pre-loaded.

Enjoy,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

BLF

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 4:48 am

Good info - Im actually doing this for my son as he's the whiz kid organist!

Ive already loaded, trained and programmed x keys, his nord c2d, 27 pedal keys and third manual to basic and 320 so I should be able to handle loadong myself, but let me know your thoughts on a windows cpu you would offer with it preloaded. Again, I want to updgrade and crossgrade from basic and 320 to 341 ( with price discounts for doing so as i see on the online store here)

engrssc

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 am

The 341 is a stand alone version and not connected to any other including the 320 version.

The 450 OTOH requires having all of the other versions (except the 341) to be loaded and available.

Rgds,
Ed

BLF

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 am

Ok --- I did read it's stand alone. So I'm realizing I will need a new PC and Tocuh monitor and will just load the Advanced and 341 onto it directly since I just purchased them a few min ago.

Not worth trying on the existing set up since it only has 4GB of RAM?

I will be purchasing another PC immediately so any suggestions from you guys on a same/better option from one of the vendors or forum members would be great.

engrssc

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 am

I think most would agree that a minimum of 32 GB of RAM for the best "now" performance and probably more for the future. So getting a new computer that will handle larger RAM is a good idea if you want to future proof the setup. That doesn't mean you would have to fully load it up presently, but if the computer isn't capable, there's no way to expand in the future.That all depends on your plans.

Likewise probably a minimum of 4 cores with a fast CPU and a professional grade multi channel audio card.. Again it all depends on your plans. Some folks have started out very basu and find they outgrow their setup. And some stay with a basic minimum . All depends on plans and budget.

The 341 can't be expanded (generally speaking) where as the 310, 320, 332 are needed and part of the 450. Two different scenarios.

Rgds,
Ed

BLF

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 8:26 am

Thanks Ed --- the setup/rig we have for him that he's using successfully now (and will be using) is a:

- Lenovo Touch Screen all in one CPU with 4GB and running on Windows 10
- Nord C2D with 27 pedal Keys
- M Audio 61 controller for top manual
- M Audio 2x2M Midi interface out 2x QSC 12 speakers

I also inserted for him, between the M Audio 2x2M interface & speakers, my Eventide Eclipse (I'm a guitar player :)) for some killer OUTBOARD reverb, so I won't be taxing the system with a plug in.

The CPU in the link in my first post is 16GB I believe so, can you suggest a strong 32 gb option and touch screen to go with it?

RichardW

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 8:44 am

I bough a Windows 10 laptop recently with 4GB of RAM and, in my opinion, that is not enough to run Windows 10. It is not used for Hauptwerk but there were frequent delays as it retrieved stuff from the swap file.

Regards,
Richard

telemanr

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 am

4GB isn’t enough to run anything nowadays. Truly.
Rob Enns
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments