It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

MOTU USB Cutouts Solved..... Not

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

MOTU USB Cutouts Solved..... Not

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm still getting occasional USB to MOTU 24 Ao cutouts after double checking for proper settings. I've discovered that I don't need to do a complete re-boot to regain the connection. All I need do is exit HW, unplug and reconnect a USB hub containing: wireless mouse, keyboard transmitter, HASP dongle and memory stick then reloading HW.

My question is, must the HASP Dongle remain connected throughout a single HW session, or does HW periodically check for its presence. I'm just now operating fine after disconnecting the above hub.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

engrssc

Re: MOTU USB Cutouts Solved..... Not

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Using a powered hub? I always connect the dongle directly to a computer's USB port, not thru a hub. (And leave it connected)

Rgds,
Ed

Doug S.

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 3:43 pm

The hub is powered.
Doug

engrssc

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Mac or Win. There have been some issues with Mac's and with certain OS's.. You can do a search to see other's reports.

Rgds,
Ed

Doug S.

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Win 7 Pro.
Doug

engrssc

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Is this a carryover of your previous error rate issue or something new?

How much RAM do you have and how much are you using? Problem with all sample sets - (large or small)? Happen only when playing or anytime even when idle? Some have reported issues occuring basically in the background. One issue has been insufficient (extra) RAM. Has been reported faulting memory (RAM) doing cutout things.

Rgds,
Ed

Doug S.

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Playing and idle. No pattern or timing. Much more memory than currently needed on Intel NUC Core i7 x 32 g ram.
Doug

ArnoldOrgans

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Have you tried a different USB port, preferably 2.0?
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

Doug S.

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 9:20 pm

All day test w/o hub or HASP still going just fine.
Doug
Doug

Doug S.

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Update. I've added aftermarket USB 2 receptacles to the mobo and disabled all other sound related on board outputs. I'm still losing the connection between HW and the MOTU. The "Engine" function audio reset is ineffective. Exiting HW and immediately reloading it does....for a while. I'm going to unplug the wireless USB keyboard and mouse as step next. Beyond this, I'm at a loss as to what else I can try as I've been over the recommended HW windows optimization settings multiple times.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

jkinkennon

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 pm

I assume that way more memory than needed means that you use less than 24GB of the 32GB you have available. I'm pulling the 24GB out of thin air here as you might be fine using a little more memory for samples.

I wonder how many have been successful running the Intel NUC machines. In theory they should be fine, but anytime it's not conventional hardware I suppose there's the possibility of extra driver issues. Other than that it's all the usual suspects. Disable superfetch (don't just turn it off), turn off any Bluetooth, wifi, or cloud services like OneDrive. Search manufacturers web sites for the latest hardware drivers. Implement all available software updates of course. Running the hardwired keyboard and mouse as you mentioned might be helpful.

Try keeping the onboard audio running with any system sounds pointed at that device. Even with system sounds disabled I've seen programs try to access the default audio device (grrr!). If any of us had a formula that always worked for every Windows install we could get rich selling the solution. Best of luck!

Doug S.

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 1:38 am

Thanks,
This is exactly the path I'm taking. Things I thought I'd disabled are somehow still active such as on board audio. I'm also looking for information on all of the services, their effect and consequences of disabling. That said, I will review the settings you mentioned.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Doug S.

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks to all who've helped out here. I'm almost too embarrassed to disclose what I'm fairly certain was the issue. It's one of the first things normally done when setting up for HW. In Control Panel under Sounds, I apparently neglected to make my MOTU 24Ao the exclusive sound interface. Once I did, the cutout problem was solved.
The Intel NUC Micro PC is an exceptionally vast and versatile unit, especially for gamers. It's built in sound and graphics capabilities are first rate, fast and powerful, but not needed for a Hauptwerk platform.
Doug
Doug

Doug S.

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 3:41 pm

An addendum. When I get everything tweaked to satisfaction, I install Acronis True Image software and clone the entire drive to an empty on board ssd drive.
Doug
Doug

jkinkennon

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 9:56 am

Good to know the audio is working well. I looked at the NUC computers some time ago and it seemed it was a matter of buying a base unit and adding storage and possibly other components separately. Would you share a package of components or else the simplest pieces to order to get the equivalent of your setup? I like the idea of building these compact units into a console.
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing