It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:20 am

New MacMini

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

magnaton

Re: New MacMini

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 8:07 pm

wlsartore wrote:The capture action on the Allen console is still functional so I'm using all the Allen hardware to control the stops. The problem that I have is that all the stop tabs are labeled to correspond with the stop names in my old Artisan sound engine. I have mapped the new HW (French name) stops to a corresponding (German name) tab but there are more hardware stop tabs available to me than there are HW stops so there are some "empty" stop tabs for now. I suppose this is a good problem to have but there are only three of the stop tabs labelled as couplers.

Yes, that is a good problem. For your extra Allen tabs remember HW offers its own native intramanual couplers along sub and super couplers too per each division too. There is also a bass coupler a melody coupler available. I use the bass coupler when I want to tweak my subwoofer by wedging a pencil on the back of a key to hold a pedal note down while I walk away from the console. 8)

Danny B.

fermata

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Thank you again, bILL. So...in a simple audio setup, I could run my powered speakers directly into the MacMini's 3.5mm headphone jack using a Y-splitter adapter, correct? Where would the keyboards with pistons plug into?

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Dec 22, 2018 3:23 pm

engrssc wrote:
wlsartore wrote: more deserving of an 8-bit Commodore Vic-20.

Wonder how many here remember those Commodores? Good machines in their day.

Rgds,
Ed

I still have a Z-80/32K machine I built back in the mid-70's. Hadn't thought about using it as a HW fallback machine, though, since I don't think HW has been ported to FORTH. Still, it might be fun to see if it will still boot … :lol:
Grant

engrssc

PostSat Dec 22, 2018 4:09 pm

My Apple IIe still does boot as long as I put the correct 5 1/4' floppy in the disc drive. And then there's the 80 column green screen monitor. :roll:

Release date‎: ‎January 1983; 36 years ago CPU‎: ‎6502 @ 1.023MHz
Memory‎: ‎64 KB RAM (up to 1 MB) Operating system‎: ‎Apple DOS 3.3‎; ‎ProDOS

I think we are dating ourselves, Grant. Or maybe we have lived thru a time of tech history even before Hauptwerk.

What an contrast to the impressive new MacMini - come a long way.. :)

Rgds,
Ed

fermata

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Again, thanks, bILL! I will consider the Roland UM-One mk2 since your experience indicates it will work with a Mac. Is a headphone amplifier necessary when going from the MacMini headphone jack to powered speakers? If I go with 4 speakers, will I also need an audio interface? I do not plan to use a subwoofer...yet.

JRP

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 2:40 am

Hi Fermata - I can confirm that the Roland UM One connector works with a Mac. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and I don't have any problems with it. I use the Motu 16A as the audio interface due to it working with Thunderbolt on the Mac. Again no problems at all. For headphones, I used a basic headphone amplifier which attaches to the Motu.

Regards

John
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs