It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

Prevent rapid re-triggering

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Prevent rapid re-triggering

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 5:28 pm

‘Prevent rapid re-triggering’ is a very useful feature because many toe pistons accidentally send two MIDI signals instead of one. And it works fine inside Hauptwerk. But the problem remains using an external computer for the reading of PDF scores. I’m wondering if hardware or software MIDI tools exist to avoid double impulsions for page turns. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Luc

engrssc

Re: Prevent rapid re-triggering

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 pm

'The need is for a switch debouncing circuit. Actually very easy DIY to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjuLtiAsc0

Rgds,
Ed

ludu

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 6:17 am

Hello Ed,

Thanks for this tip. However I’m not at all a do-it-yourselfer. Do you mean one of the MIDI SOLUTIONS products could do the same job?
http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm
I’ve noticed the MIDI DELAY, but I don’t know if it keeps in memory the second undesirable impulsion and sends the two signals or only one with delay.

Another possibility is perhaps BOME MIDI TRANSLATOR. I shall explore their forum too.
Luc

Organorak

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 am

I'll weigh in here.

First off are you using a separate computer for your pdf pageturns and if so why? I have one PC with two video cards and it sends video signals to two touchscreen monitors for stop changes and a central music desk monitor for scores which I maintain as pdf files. I have a thumb piston and a toe piston for advance page and one of each for page back.

When I press the piston a MIDI signal is created. This is converted to a keystroke using Bome's translator and the keystroke is picked up by Autohotkey which brings the pdf file into Windows "focus" then turns the page. Note that when running Hauptwerk, Hauptwerk will be the program that is in "focus" if that's the last program you click on before you start playing. If you open Hauptwerk, do your registrations then open your music pdf the pdf will be in focus - but only until you next click on your touchscreens. Hence the need to always bring the pdf momentarily into focus before turning the page. It has no effect on the operation or smooth playing of Hauptwerk.

I haven't needed to explore debouncing - maybe my MIDI converter chip does that automatically. But I believe the functionality exists in Bome, for instance this support forum posting refers to it:

https://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10894

Alternatively you could play around with Autohotkey to create something similar. No need for a hardware solution to the problem you describe and both Bome and AHK are freeware.

Incidentally I use Foxit as my PDF viewer rather than Acrobat for two reasons - firstly because I found I got occasional audio glitches when turning pages using an earlier version of Acrobat though later versions seem to have overcome that. But mainly because Foxit offers the option of opening straight to fullscreen rather than Acrobat where you have to do a further click to go to fullscreen mode. Note that you just have to specify in the Autohotkey macro code which pdf reader you are using, but it's about three lines of code so pretty easy to write (and I'd be happy to post it if you wish).

ludu

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:31 am

Hello Organorak,

Many thanks for this very interesting answer. In the past I was using only one computer for HW and for my PDF reader (PDF-XChange Viewer), but I was not happy with this very complicate installation. Now having two consoles (and computers), I prefer to centralise my music score in only one location and simplify my configuration. However I still need Bome’s Translator for my 5-manual console and I am happy to know I can manage this issue with this application. The toe pistons of my 3-manual console don’t send multiple signals.

Cordially,
Luc

Arp

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 am

Is there a similar Mac for this program "Autohotkey"?

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing