It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

HALKA from Midi-Hardware for manual key switching

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Sylvaticus

HALKA from Midi-Hardware for manual key switching

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Has anyone used these as replacements for key contacts, and what was your experience with them?

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php ... duct=HALKA

I've used Roman's modules and liked them a lot, but I am wondering how much of a problem interplay with neighboring magnets would be? Since I am already going to be using magnets for simulated tracker touch on my next project, it would be nice if I could use the same magnets to trigger the Hall-effect sensors (however I have no experience working with anything but mechanical switches). Any tips on what could go wrong with this scenario?

ppytprs

Re: HALKA from Midi-Hardware for manual key switching

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 4:06 pm

I've used lots of these (and helped with the development). We've not had any problems with neighbouring magnets. But if you're using magnets for tracker touch, I imagine they're going to be a lot stronger, so then you might be in trouble. I don't think I'd try to use the same magnets. Perhaps you could have your tracker magnets on a different part of the key to the HALKA magnet.

jkinkennon

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 9:59 am

I'm pleased to hear these are working well. I have a pair of wonderful old Rodgers manuals with super long well balanced wooden keys. I've been meaning to add contacts for a long time and this looks like an excellent solution.

engrssc

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 11:04 am

Mounting and proper support per user manual https://www.midi-hardware.com/instrukcje/halkainstall.pdf is the only issue. Used with one of Roman's master controllers. Quite reasonable cost wise considering what it does.

Rgds,
Ed

Sylvaticus

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks everybody, for weighing in. Yes, Roman's instructions are very clear as to how to mount the sensor strips, and his item description shows the general position that is required, but I haven't seen any quantification as to strength of magnets or proximity (both rather nebulous concepts for hobbyists, so naturally hard to describe). The magnets I am using for tracker touch are decidedly potent little things, which I am concerned would overwhelm the magnetic field of the trigger magnets if I were to use separate ones.

Fortunately, I was able yesterday to obtain another original Allen switchrail, so for this project will just go with what I am used to. Since I will still have 3 additional Allen keyboards with no contacts to wonder what to do with, I am sure I will manage to have an opportunity to try the HALKAS at some point in the future!

engrssc

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 1:47 pm

Without specifics, guess would be trial and error is called for. Gut feeling, probably best to only have a single (dual purpose) magnet) would be at least a first try depending on the position of the tracker magnet.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI