It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

My DefTech Super II

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

johnstump_organist

My DefTech Super II

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 2:24 pm

My Deftech Supercube II of 2009 vintage seems to be giving up the ghost.
While still making some noise, it is minimal. turning the level dial makes no difference. It is still passing through the signal on the the line out, but when I disconnect the line out, all I can hear is a minimal sound. It used to rattle eveything in the house if I had it turned up past a quarter of the way on the level dial, now it it barely rattles itself.
Wondering if it is worth seeking a repair on it or just going with a new one.
I've been looking at the SVS PC-2000 tubes and they seem very nice for the price and are spec'd to 16 Hz. It's a bigger driver and enclosure than my Supercube II (which was also sped'd to 16 but was a little weak on the last few notes of a 32', but it was OK in my home setup) . the SVS is less powerful Amp wise, but since I never turned the supercube up very high anyway, I don't think that will matter.
They seem to have good reviews.
I would like to stay around $1000 for price, and I need the line-out option which I didn't see on the new SuperCubes that are spec'd down to 14, 15, 16, Hz.
All opinions welcomed
John

nrorganist

Re: My DefTech Super II

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm

John,

Consider Rythmik Audio's servo-controlled subwoofers for most accurate and lowest bass. Rythmik provides more test measurements and documents more design and engineering into their subwoofers than any I have seen.

Two and a half years ago for my home Hauptwerk system in a nearly 7000 cu. ft. Great room with cathedral ceiling, I choose the F12 (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html). It had the lowest frequency response without significant volume loss (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12_specs.html). Since an F12 is -3dB at 14 Hz, 32 foot ranks have consistent volume all of the way down to, and including low C. I have validated this on several 32 foot ranks. Since, I have had no issues and have enjoyed consistent performance. If I had it to do over again, I would still buy an F12.

The F12 still lists for just under $1000 USD, is sold directly online - all in less than an 18 inch cube.

Mark

johnstump_organist

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks Marc,
I have looked at them, but from what I can tell, they don't have line out jacks that would let me pass along the signal to the montiors I have on my bass channel and I'm out of outputs on my RME Firface 802. If they do that would be great, let me know.
John

organtechnology

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 5:14 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:Thanks Marc,
I have looked at them, but from what I can tell, they don't have line out jacks that would let me pass along the signal to the montiors I have on my bass channel and I'm out of outputs on my RME Firface 802. If they do that would be great, let me know.
John

Hi John,

Since the Rythmik Servo Subwoofer is made in Austin, TX(just up the road a piece) you might give them a call and see if they have a model or will modify a unit to fit your needs. They are super nice people.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Seems to me you ought to contact DefTech support. There may even be a local service that can repair the amp.

Better than just feeding a land fill ….
Grant

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Seems to me you ought to contact DefTech support. There may even be a local service that can repair the amp.

Better than just feeding a land fill when a few new caps or output device can fix the problem ...
Grant

johnstump_organist

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes, I will look into repairing it. Although, when I've had amps and other things repaired in the past, the repair has never lasted very long. If I do junk it, I will take it to an electronics recycling place.
I also found buried on the Rhythmic website an option for an amp with more controls and line out options, available at no extra charge. If I do go with a new one, that may be my choice.
John

jkinkennon

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 am

You won't regret the purchase of a Rythmik Audio sub. The sealed models will be the most musical in my opinion while the ported models offer a bit more output. I've got the 15" sealed model and it is phenomenal. If I ever get back to Texas I'll pay them a visit. If you are close to them you could also save the freight bill which can be huge with these heavy subs.

stoverkid

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi,
I have the Rythmik 12" ported model, which does not have outputs. Rythmik's support just said to use a y-cable since I didn't need the crossover or any processing from the sub. I too am pleased with this sub. It seems to just come in where I set it to fill the low end and it handles the 32' Tibia. & Diap. just fine. However my wife and the house don't handle them at high volume.

stoverkid

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi,
I have the Rythmik 12" ported model, which does not have outputs. Rythmik's support just said to use a y-cable since I didn't need the crossover or any processing from the sub. I too am pleased with this sub. It seems to just come in where I set it to fill the low end and it handles the 32' Tibia. & Diap. just fine. However my wife and the house don't handle them at high volume.

Cooky

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am

When the amp module died on my Supercube a couple of years ago I was able to source from DefTech a new replacement board at cost of several hundred dollars. It seems board failure is not uncommon.
If you are considering replacement note that DefTech specs for frequency response use a more "generous" formula than most reputable manufacturers - the results will be very misleading. This does not mean I do not like them - it's just that they cheat!

georgefung

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm

John,
I would look into repairing it first. I had a great experience with repairing my DefTech Supercube III subwoofer. I think my Supercube is just a bit newer than yours (2010)?

It died around 2015. I looked up DefTech repair, parts and service, and I was referred to a place close to my home that had DefTech parts. They recommended that I simply swap out two of the boards in the Supercube. I forget the price, but it was reasonable. I swapped out the boards myself. No electronics experience required.

Several months later, it died again. I asked them about it again, and they just told me to drop by to get a new set, free of charge.

I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Hopefully you'll have a similar repair/parts location near you.

Good luck.

George

Return to Amplification