It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 am

Problem connecting MIDI

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JoseCarlosArantes

Problem connecting MIDI

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 am

Hello to all Hauptwerk team and followers.
I'm exploring Hauptwerk on my Viscount Vivace 40 for the first time to see if Hauptwerk is a good program to buy.
But, I'm having problems connecting the midi.
I have Windows 10 on my computer and I bought a Midi cable that says supports to the maximum Windows 8.1.
So the problem is this. My windoes and Hauptwerk recognise the Viscount and appears OK in the MIDI IN of the Hauptwerk, however, I try to manual and automatically connect the keyboards to the channels but fails.
Automatically, when we need to press the lowest and highest note, nothing happens to click on the 'done' button.
Manually, I make the connection on the channels on hauptwerk and my Viscount, but nothing happens too.
Can be the problem of my Windows 10 or the cable?

I appreciatte all the helps I can get.
(Sorry about my english).

anco111

Re: Problem connecting MIDI

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 am

Do you connect all the cables before HW starts up? That's one important thing to check.
Which midi cable are you using?

JoseCarlosArantes

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 am

anco111 wrote:Do you connect all the cables before HW starts up? That's one important thing to check.
Which midi cable are you using?

Yes I did.
A friend of mine that uses Hauptwerk was with me he and could not see the problem, never happened to him.

My cable is like the one here: https://elevatorsound.com/product/usb-midi-cable/
(Sorry, I don't know how to post a image)

IainStinson

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:33 am

Check that you have the midi in and midi out connections the correct way round. Organ Midi out to computer midi IN.

Did you enable the midi device in Hauptwerk? I assume you looked at the user manual - the Quick Start section explains how to let Hauptwerk use a particular midi device (pages 33 onwards might help).

Are the different midi connections on the back of the organ console - have you tried each of these?

Do you have to enable the midi output from the organ with some "commands" on the organ console?

Have a look at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11306&p=83116&hilit=Viscount+Vivace+40#p83116

Good luck.

Iain

anco111

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 am

If you connect the midi cables correctly, and the settings in HW are right, and the midi switches on your console (if you have them) or settings in the organ are right and it still doesnt work, It could very well be because of the midi cable.
The cheap midi cables have lots of problems. Try Roland UM-One

IainStinson

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am

Just a thought...

You could use a program like midimedic (rather than Hauptwerk itself) to check that each manual and the pedal board were sending data on a distinct midi channel. (Load midimedic and not Hauptwerk...) http://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/37-downloads/downloads/11-midi-medic-139

Once each keyboard and the pedalboard were transmitting on separate channels, close midimedic and load Hauptwerk.

Whilst there have been issues with some of the very cheap midi "cables" used to connect the console to the computer - most of them will transmit data and the midimedic check will show if data is coming through.

Iain

engrssc

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm

IainStinson wrote:Just a thought...

You could use a program like midimedic (rather than Hauptwerk itself) to check that each manual and the pedal board were sending data on a distinct midi channel.

Similar to MIDI Ox for a PC
http://www.midiox.com/

Or MIDI Monitor for a Mac
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor

Rgds,
Ed

JoseCarlosArantes

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 am

I made no mistake when tried to connect, and as I said, a friend of mine who owns a Hauptwerk license was with me when I tried to configure.

Well, I did the experience with other different Windows versions and didn't work.
I suppose the problem is not coming from the Viscount, because even with my 'cheap' MIDI cable, when I press a note, the light on the cable turns on.
I tried MIDI medic and nothing happen, however, all the programs I use recognise the instrument.
So, I guess the problem is my cheap cable. Wwhich MIDI cable do you recommend/use?

IainStinson

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 am

Which other programs have you used with you organ and the "cheap" midi cable? Can you still use them on your Windows 10 setup?

If these programs still work and handle midi input (and output) then I'm very surprised you see no data flowing into midimedic. It is a simple diagnostic tool which reads the midi device and displays the data it receives. (Are you sure you selected the midi device you are using in midimedic?)

Iain

JoseCarlosArantes

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am

Hi,

Well, the others programs I used were MIDI Medic and ..

Yes, I made the selection of my Viscount and selected the MIDI channels (on MIDI Medic) where the Viscount was transmiting the midi data, and nothing happens.
The strange thing is that the Viscount is recognised buy the Windows (and all MIDI programs I used, can't remember the exact name, but appears as USB"xxxx").

I'm starting to get with no options.

JoseCarlosArantes

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 am

PS: At this moment I installed Windows SP1 7 64 bits

JoseCarlosArantes

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Can you guys tell me which MIDI cable you use?

Anyway, tomorrow I will try a different organ with my friend PC's.

NickNelson

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 4:10 pm

JoseCarlosArantes wrote:The strange thing is that the Viscount is recognised buy the Windows (and all MIDI programs I used, can't remember the exact name, but appears as USB"xxxx")..

Well, that only means that Windows has detected the USB MIDI device, but it won't ever be able to tell what (if anything) is sending MIDI messages to it.

I'm inclined to agree that (probably) the Viscount isn't sending any MIDI messages.

Nick

JoseCarlosArantes

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Please don't tell me that, I hope the problem is coming from the cable.

If is the Viscount I'm in trouble, would be better to buy a new organ lol.
Once again (and sorry for that) what is the cable that you guys use?

As I said, tomorrow I will try on other organ and see what happens.
The viscount seems to be recognised by the PC, however, if I press a key, the cable light from the Midi In switches on and off.

JoseCarlosArantes

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Let me explain one thing that i thought I had said on the first post.
One of the first times I connected the Midi cable, I don' know what I did, but I was able to play some keys, but a few notes were sticking, and others keys that appeared on the screen were not the keys I played, some of the keys that I pressed don't happened nothing to them on the screen. All of this combined with a strange noise coming from the organ speakers everytime I pressed a key or move the expression pedals.
I think I just plugged one cable on the MIDI when that happened.
Next

Return to Technical support