It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

Absolute Beginner!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ChrisNabil

Absolute Beginner!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am very interested in Hauptwerk and would really be so grateful if you could help.
I have had many organs over the years, my last being a Roland Atelier. I sold it a year ago to try my hand at the keyboards which i still have now. As much as i love the boards i have (Yamaha Genos and a Yamaha Montage) i just feel there is something missing!.

I was thinking of getting another organ. That will probably be another Roland, maybe a AT900. Now, more than anything i love Theatre organ sounds so a true Wurlitzer sound is what i am looking for. I live in Phoenix AZ but from England so i love the Blackpool Tower sound!.

I know nothing about Hauptwerk and would really like to understand what i need (apart from an organ) to get started what would be the best Hauptwerk package for my needs?

I am not sure about what it will cost but within reason i dont mind paying good money for the best option.

I am sure you get loads of people like me that don't know anything and the questions can get a bit repetitive so i am sorry for that.

Kind regards

Chris

orcoaffamato

Re: Absolute Beginner!

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 am

Hello,

All you need is a working PC and an audio interface.
You can download Hauptwerk here http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/win and use the free edition (that comes with the St. Anne's Moseley Organ) to check how it works.

To start you can use your Montage and Genos to play (I use my Montage 8 and my Crumar Mojo 61 dual manual organ for my Hauptwerk), you will eventually want to buy a MIDI pedalboard; I assume you have alreay some studio monitors or some PA speakers.

Upgrading to the Advanced Edition will unlock all Hauptwerk features (check the manual) and you will be able to use all your computer's RAM to play also with other organs (you can find some free here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/learnmore/instrument-downloads/ where there's also the 310 Wurlitzer theatre organ and here: http://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/instruments.html).

If you want a complete MIDI organ ready for Hauptwerk you can check vendors' websites, I can't help you with this 'cause being in EU I don't know US vendors.

engrssc

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 am

Welcome, you've come to the right place. For starters, you can download Hauptwerk software from this page:

http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/win

for either Windows or Mac. This software contains all the versions of Hauptwerk including the Free Edition.with which to can try it with some limitations, but goes you a good idea of the what and how. The larger versions of Hauptwerk software can be purchased in the future, but you only have to download the software one time. Everything is contained in that initial download.

In addition, there is a free version of a theatre organ sample set here that can be used with the Hauptwerk Free Edition: it contains 10 ranks to real TO pipe samples and would be a good beginning.

http://www.paramountorganworks.com/scripts/downloads.html

Contained in the Hauptwerk software download is the (very large) User Manual that can be somewhat involved. There is much more beyond what you would need to get started however, you can ask here on the Forum any questions you might have with many very knowledgeable folks here to help.

You will need an interface to connect the MIDI output of an instrument to a computer such as a Roland UM-ONE mk2 which is a simple basic unit. If you decide to do a more advanced setup in the future, there are many other choices available. But this unit would get you started.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMOneMk2--roland-um-one-mk2

Rgds,
Ed

ChrisNabil

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am

orcoaffamato wrote:Hello,

All you need is a working PC and an audio interface.
You can download Hauptwerk here http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/win and use the free edition (that comes with the St. Anne's Moseley Organ) to check how it works.

To start you can use your Montage and Genos to play (I use my Montage 8 and my Crumar Mojo 61 dual manual organ for my Hauptwerk), you will eventually want to buy a MIDI pedalboard; I assume you have alreay some studio monitors or some PA speakers.

Upgrading to the Advanced Edition will unlock all Hauptwerk features (check the manual) and you will be able to use all your computer's RAM to play also with other organs (you can find some free here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/learnmore/instrument-downloads/ where there's also the 310 Wurlitzer theatre organ and here: http://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/instruments.html).

If you want a complete MIDI organ ready for Hauptwerk you can check vendors' websites, I can't help you with this 'cause being in EU I don't know US vendors.

Thank you so much for your information. I do have some Monitor speakers but i am not going to bother using my keyboards but rather wait till i buy an organ presuming i can use the pedal board of the Roland organ with Hauptwerk?.

ChrisNabil

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am

engrssc wrote:Welcome, you've come to the right place. For starters, you can download Hauptwerk software from this page:

http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/win

for either Windows or Mac. This software contains all the versions of Hauptwerk including the Free Edition.with which to can try it with some limitations, but goes you a good idea of the what and how. The larger versions of Hauptwerk software can be purchased in the future, but you only have to download the software one time. Everything is contained in that initial download.

In addition, there is a free version of a theatre organ sample set here that can be used with the Hauptwerk Free Edition: it contains 10 ranks to real TO pipe samples and would be a good beginning.

http://www.paramountorganworks.com/scripts/downloads.html

Contained in the Hauptwerk software download is the (very large) User Manual that can be somewhat involved. There is much more beyond what you would need to get started however, you can ask here on the Forum any questions you might have with many very knowledgeable folks here to help.

You will need an interface to connect the MIDI output of an instrument to a computer such as a Roland UM-ONE mk2 which is a simple basic unit. If you decide to do a more advanced setup in the future, there are many other choices available. But this unit would get you started.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMOneMk2--roland-um-one-mk2

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for helping me to get started.I would also like to mention or ask if this set up involves many added components and wires?. the reason i ask is when i get my organ it will be going into the living room and as its a room we use a lot i would like the set up to be somewhat self contained at least so there is not ugly wires everywhere.

Kind regards

Chris

OrganoPleno

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 11:54 am

ChrisNabil wrote:When i get my organ it will be going into the living room and as its a room we use a lot i would like the set up to be somewhat self contained at least so there is not ugly wires everywhere.

You DON'T NEED to buy an Organ! Hauptwerk IS your Organ! What you want is an Organ Console with MIDI output. One great source for this is https://www.midiworks.ca which can provide pretty much everything you need.

For my own System, I got a Console Table (which I assembled) and three Manual Keyboards (which stack together) and the Key-Cheeks (to make the Manual Stack look nice), and a MIDI Pedal Keyboard (32 notes, concave and radiating) with three "Expression Shoes" (which mount on the Pedal-Board to be used as Swell Pedals or a Crescendo Pedal). Also a nice Organ Bench (which I assembled).

The MIDI Output from the Console goes to a MIDI Interface by MOTU, which connects to the Computer via USB. Newer Consoles might connect directly via USB without this interface, depending.

I built a nice PC with plenty of RAM. I use a large Touch Screen to control the Stops and everything. This stands on the Console Table, right next to the Keyboards. I got a top-quality Digital-to-Analog Converter from RME, which feeds into a pre-amp (Headphone Amplifier) by PreSonus. This feeds two sets of AKG Headphones... one for me and one for my wife. A third output goes to a Sub-Woofer Amplifier, which in turn feeds two "Tactile Transducers" (Silent Subwoofers) by Dayton Audio. One of these is mounted on the Organ Bench; the other rests on my wife's lap during performances. With the Sub-Woofers enabled, we can FEEL the deep Bass of those 32-foot pipes just fine... very nearly as good as being there!

Everything about this can be customized to taste. The whole project is a lot of fun and TREMENDOUSLY rewarding! And then... you can begin collecting some of the finest Organ Sample Sets available! Full-Sized and Full-Featured Theatre Pipe Organs, plus classical Pipe Organs of every description... Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern... from Churches, Cathedrals, and Concert Halls around the World!

My advice is: Go For It!

And for whatever questions may arise... folks here on the Forum will be delighted to help out! All the Best to you with your new Project!

ChrisNabil

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 2:27 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:
ChrisNabil wrote:When i get my organ it will be going into the living room and as its a room we use a lot i would like the set up to be somewhat self contained at least so there is not ugly wires everywhere.

You DON'T NEED to buy an Organ! Hauptwerk IS your Organ! What you want is an Organ Console with MIDI output. One great source for this is https://www.midiworks.ca which can provide pretty much everything you need.

For my own System, I got a Console Table (which I assembled) and three Manual Keyboards (which stack together) and the Key-Cheeks (to make the Manual Stack look nice), and a MIDI Pedal Keyboard (32 notes, concave and radiating) with three "Expression Shoes" (which mount on the Pedal-Board to be used as Swell Pedals or a Crescendo Pedal). Also a nice Organ Bench (which I assembled).

The MIDI Output from the Console goes to a MIDI Interface by MOTU, which connects to the Computer via USB. Newer Consoles might connect directly via USB without this interface, depending.

I built a nice PC with plenty of RAM. I use a large Touch Screen to control the Stops and everything. This stands on the Console Table, right next to the Keyboards. I got a top-quality Digital-to-Analog Converter from RME, which feeds into a pre-amp (Headphone Amplifier) by PreSonus. This feeds two sets of AKG Headphones... one for me and one for my wife. A third output goes to a Sub-Woofer Amplifier, which in turn feeds two "Tactile Transducers" (Silent Subwoofers) by Dayton Audio. One of these is mounted on the Organ Bench; the other rests on my wife's lap during performances. With the Sub-Woofers enabled, we can FEEL the deep Bass of those 32-foot pipes just fine... very nearly as good as being there!

Everything about this can be customized to taste. The whole project is a lot of fun and TREMENDOUSLY rewarding! And then... you can begin collecting some of the finest Organ Sample Sets available! Full-Sized and Full-Featured Theatre Pipe Organs, plus classical Pipe Organs of every description... Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern... from Churches, Cathedrals, and Concert Halls around the World!

My advice is: Go For It!

And for whatever questions may arise... folks here on the Forum will be delighted to help out! All the Best to you with your new Project!

Your enthusiasm is contagious!!. Thank you so much for all the info you have given me. I am not sure i want to go down that route of building my own midi organ.

There are many things i like about the Roland organ and many sounds other than organ sounds that i would like to use from the Roland. I really want both. That's why i would like to get a organ and just add Hauptwerk to it!.

I have seen a few people do it on Youtube and it looks great!

Many thanks!

OrganoPleno

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 pm

ChrisNabil wrote:Thank you so much for all the info you have given me. I am not sure i want to go down that route of building my own midi organ.

There are many things i like about the Roland organ and many sounds other than organ sounds that i would like to use from the Roland. I really want both. That's why i would like to get a organ and just add Hauptwerk to it!.

That certainly works too! And if the Organ comes with its own Sound System, you can just feed the Audio Output from your Hauptwerk Computer right into that... helping to keep things simple. As long as the Organ has MIDI output... you can pretty much do anything!

ChrisNabil

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:
ChrisNabil wrote:Thank you so much for all the info you have given me. I am not sure i want to go down that route of building my own midi organ.

That certainly works too! And if the Organ comes with its own Sound System, you can just feed the Audio Output from your Hauptwerk Computer right into that... helping to keep things simple. As long as the Organ has MIDI output... you can pretty much do anything!

Ooh really!, i thought you has to add separate speakers? if you are saying Haupwerk will play via midi and the sound will come out of the organ then thats wonderful!

RichardW

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm

ChrisNabil wrote:if you are saying Haupwerk will play via midi and the sound will come out of the organ then thats wonderful!

For that to work, you will need to buy an organ that has an audio input that you can connect your audio interface to.

Many sample sets these days support surround sound that requires four speakers so you might not be able to get the full benefit of that.

If I were you, I would decide on what I was going to buy and then post the details here before you actually order it. Many here can help to check them out.

Regards,
Richard

ChrisNabil

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

RichardW wrote:
ChrisNabil wrote:if you are saying Haupwerk will play via midi and the sound will come out of the organ then thats wonderful!

For that to work, you will need to buy an organ that has an audio input that you can connect your audio interface to.

Many sample sets these days support surround sound that requires four speakers so you might not be able to get the full benefit of that.

If I were you, I would decide on what I was going to buy and then post the details here before you actually order it. Many here can help to check them out.

Regards,

Thank you, I think i am going to buy a Roland AT900. I will have to look at the user manual online to see what it has. It came out in about 2008 i think so its not that old.

engrssc

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 pm

While you are at it, have a look at the Hauptwerk User Manual also online.

Rgds,
Ed

ChrisNabil

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm

engrssc wrote:While you are at it, have a look at the Hauptwerk User Manual also online.

Rgds,
Ed

Thank you Ed, will do!

engrssc

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 pm

You may not understand many things in the User Manual right away, but that's ok. I'd venture to say very few Hauptwerk users understand each and every topic in it. But it's a good starting point esp the sections on initial setup. Learning about HW for many of us can be considered a "work in progres" type of situation. There are some "well learned" knowledgibles that frequent this Forum ready, willing and very able to help. :wink:

Planning for future expansion, but starting more simplified at the beginning is an important strategy. Likewise you can learn a great deal by using the Search feature, the lower one (next to FAQ). The upper search takes you to the Internet, the lower one to HW topics.

Rgds,
Ed

ChrisNabil

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 am

engrssc wrote:You may not understand many things in the User Manual right away, but that's ok. I'd venture to say very few Hauptwerk users understand each and every topic in it. But it's a good starting point esp the sections on initial setup. Learning about HW for many of us can be considered a "work in progres" type of situation. There are some "well learned" knowledgibles that frequent this Forum ready, willing and very able to help. :wink:

Planning for future expansion, but starting more simplified at the beginning is an important strategy. Likewise you can learn a great deal by using the Search feature, the lower one (next to FAQ). The upper search takes you to the Internet, the lower one to HW topics.

Rgds,
Ed

Thank you Ed!, i appreciate your pointers, i will dive in and see how much of the info sticks :)
Next

Return to Technical support