It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

Problem connecting MIDI

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

magnaton

Re: Problem connecting MIDI

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm

organtechnology

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 pm

JoseCarlosArantes wrote:Hello to all Hauptwerk team and followers.
I'm exploring Hauptwerk on my Viscount Vivace 40 for the first time to see if Hauptwerk is a good program to buy.
But, I'm having problems connecting the midi.
I have Windows 10 on my computer and I bought a Midi cable that says supports to the maximum Windows 8.1.
So the problem is this. My windoes and Hauptwerk recognise the Viscount and appears OK in the MIDI IN of the Hauptwerk, however, I try to manual and automatically connect the keyboards to the channels but fails.
Automatically, when we need to press the lowest and highest note, nothing happens to click on the 'done' button.
Manually, I make the connection on the channels on hauptwerk and my Viscount, but nothing happens too.
Can be the problem of my Windows 10 or the cable?

I appreciatte all the helps I can get.
(Sorry about my english).

Hello Jose,
One important thing I do not see in the other answers is; "Only connect ONE MIDI connector of the two to the organ. Connect the MIDI-in connector of the MIDI cable to the MIDI-out connector of the organ. Leave the other MIDI connector disconnected for now.
If you connect both it often starts a "feedback loop" which can cause some of the things you describe.

Another thing, some MIDI connectors on a MIDI cable will say "IN" and "OUT" while others will say "TO IN" and "TO OUT" TO-IN is the OUT connector and TO-OUT is the IN connector. And I again repeat connect only the MIDI in connector to the MIDI out of the organ, at least at the beginning.

Thomas from Organtechnology.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

JoseCarlosArantes

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 am

Hello Thomas, thank you for your help.
First of all, my cable says only OUT and the other cable IN.
As I said, once, there was a brief connection when some keys appeared to work on the console screen. I can't remmeber correctly but I think I leave one of the cables disconnected just like you said in your post.
Yesterday, I tried with the same cable and other PC on a different organ but didn' work too.
I ordered a Roland UM cable, let's see if something better happens. I hope so.

Thank you again.

organtechnology

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 12:29 pm

JoseCarlosArantes wrote:Hello Thomas, thank you for your help.
First of all, my cable says only OUT and the other cable IN.
As I said, once, there was a brief connection when some keys appeared to work on the console screen. I can't remmeber correctly but I think I leave one of the cables disconnected just like you said in your post.
Yesterday, I tried with the same cable and other PC on a different organ but didn' work too.
I ordered a Roland UM cable, let's see if something better happens. I hope so.

Thank you again.

Hello again,

In your case please connect the IN MIDI connector to the MIDI OUT of the Viscount organ. If there are any switches on the MIDI Cable, please advise their name and settings. Connect the USB end of the cable to the computer USB connector. Start the computer and run the MIDI monitor program (MIDI-OX or MIDI Mon, etc.)
This program will tell you the MIDI data being sent and the channels they are sent on. Once you determine the MIDI being sent, you can then determine if it is compatible with Hauptwerk. Sometimes the 'settings' in the organ must be changed or the MIDI must be turned on in the organ. If you have TeamViewer on your computer, we might want to link up and let me see what is happening.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

JoseCarlosArantes

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Thank you once again for your help Thomas.

As I said, I'm waiting for my new Roland UM One MIDI cable, and then I will follow all the instructions you guys gave me and also the manual guide.
I tried the MIDI Medic program and unfortunately nothing happened.

If the problem continues, I will appreciate if you can help me using the TeamViewer.

Thank you,
José.

JoseCarlosArantes

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 am

Hello,

Good news, the problem was in the 'cheap' cable.

I bought a Roland UM one mk2, I made the keyboards MIDI configuration manually and it works perfectly.

Thank you all!

engrssc

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 am

Good to hear it's working. Congrats. :)

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Technical support