It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 pm

Help for RME audio interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Help for RME audio interface

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

Hello all,

In my new console, I have a RME HDSPe RayDAT interface (http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_raydat.php) providing inside Hauptwerk the following outputs: 32 ADAT, 2 AES (L/R), and 2 SPDIF (L/R). I have also received this plug: BO968 (http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/cables.php#3), I don’t know exactly what I can do with that, and my dealer doesn’t help me.

Does anyone know this material and tell me how I can connect Jack or XLR plugs to my amplifiers from those connections? Thanks in advance.

Cordially,
Luc

murph

Re: Help for RME audio interface

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 am

Hi Luc,
you will need digital converters to connect those outputs to analogue amps. Something like the Behringer Adat converter, or a Motu 2408 etc.

Tony

ludu

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your answer. If I understand correctly, the Behringer ADA8200 could be connected to my RME card and provide 4 stereo pairs. What kind of cable do I need to do that?
Luc

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 1:29 pm

From looking at the RME site, the cable supplied gives you the two midi in/out ports presented using 5 pin din connectors. The ADAT connections are referred to as Optical connections, so you need optical cables of the correct type to link to the ADAT to analog converters.

The RME converter compatible with your card would probably be this one http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/m32da.php in either the 32 or 16 channel version. The website says
The M-32 DA's four ADAT inputs provide simple connectivity with other studio equipment. A combination with RME's HDSPe RayDAT makes a perfect partnership, realizing the transfer of 32 channels from a Mac or PC with regular optical Toslink cables at an unbeatable price.

Sometime ago I looked into using interfaces which used ADAT outputs and ADAT to analog converters and thought it rather complex, and I was concerned that the quality of the RME solution might be compromised by using lower quality ADAT to analog converters from other manufacturers. I also seem to remember that there was a potential problem with sample rate switching with some combinations of computer interfaces and some ADAT converters.

I’m interested in what made you choose this solution.

Iain

engrssc

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 2:18 pm

After the fact. MOTU 24 Ao - excellent and straight forward box.

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/introducing-the-24ai-and-24ao

Rgds,
Ed

ludu

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for those comments. However I’m rather frightened by the price of both devices. Should it be a bad choice to buy a Behringher ADA8200 giving 4 stereo pairs, eventually until 4 units giving 16 stereo pairs?
Luc

murph

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Luc,
the Behringer will work for now. You can add more later. It might be worth asking the console manufacturer WHY they used a digital only RME? It does not make sense. Can you get them to take that card back? You could buy a 24Ao with the savings. What platform is in the console? PC or Mac?

Tony

ludu

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 am

Hi Tony,

I’ve many problems with my new console, and my dealer doesn’t do anything to put pressure on the builder. Our relation becomes difficult and the context is bad. So, the best I can do now is to find solutions by myself. My console works on PC. I will probably by an ADA8200. I just have to choose the right cable for the connexion between my RME card and the Behringer device. Thanks for your help.
Luc

IainStinson

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 am

Suitable cables may be found here ( I think).
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ada_8200_ultragain.htm

Iain

murph

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 7:09 am

Hi Luc,
any of the cables in the page Ian pointed to will work. It's just a standard optical cable (toslink). Most bigger music shops, hifi shops and general hobby electronics shops will stock them (or just order with the Behringer). If you want better quality, hunt for a second-hand Motu 2408iii. It doesn't need the Pci card to do digital to analog conversions, all can be programmed from the front panel.
Or, just get a different usb sound card.

Tony

ludu

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 7:50 am

Many thanks for the help.
Luc

ludu

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello,

I’ve just bought a D/A converter in order to add a subwoofer, but my ADAT connexion doesn’t work. I’ve certainly made a mistake in my settings and I’d like to receive your advice. Here are my current settings: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19osVOwPiouD5-PPhl9uV-5aTNzoAddMS. In the RME settings, the Main output is sent to Front, the Phones output is sent to Rear, and the ADAT 1/2 output is sent to the subwoofer. I’ve checked my converter with its cable with a DVD player, and it works fine. Do you have an idea about what I’m wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.
Luc

murph

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi Luc,
what converter did you buy? Can it convert ADAT format?

Tony

mnailor

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm

I don't see anything wrong with your RME settings, but most of my ADAT setup was in the DAC. I had to tell it to take its clock from the input ADAT from the RME, among other settings that might not apply to yours. You might also have to set the number of channels.

ludu

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

murph wrote:Hi Luc,
what converter did you buy? Can it convert ADAT format?

Tony

Hi Tony,
This is my converter:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Ottico-3-5mm-Coassiale-Digitale-a-Analogico-RCA-L-R-Audio-Adattatore-Converter/272985072262?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
It works very well with my DVD player.
Luc
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing