It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

Melbourne Town Hall?

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

162_Ranks

Melbourne Town Hall?

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm

I search for "IA - Melbourne Town Hall" and find nothing. Is it possible that there have been no submissions?

EDIT: found three, would love to hear more if anyone is in a position to post!

jcfelice88keys

Re: Melbourne Town Hall?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 4:05 pm

Hello Mr. 162 Ranks:

Although I have presented only three CBCH performances using the "official" IA Melbourne Townhall Organ, I had the pleasure of presenting numerous other works with the MTH when it was still in unreleased Beta form, i.e., not yet ready for prime time. To find all of these, simply go to CBCH and search for "jcfelice88keys". There, you will find a dozen or more submittals with an organ described cryptically as "undisclosed at this time". Since 2016, I have presented the MTH in the following works:

Franck: All three Chorales (7/24/16)
Franck: Grande Piece Symphonique (7/08/16)
Handel: Allegro Mvt from Organ Concerto Opus 7 #4 including cadenza
Widor: Organ Symphony #5 Allegro Movement (NOT the overplayed Toccata) (June 3. 2016)
Widor: Organ Symphony #6 First Movement, with cadenza (2/26/2016)
Messaien: Dieu Parmi Nous (5/1/16)
Liszt Fantasy and Fugue on B-A-C-H, straight organ version (4/14/16) and embellishments from piano version (4/20/16)
Liszt: Ad Nos Ad Salutarem Undam
Plus other works by Robert Hebble, Dmitri Kabelevsky, Davies, etc.

Cheers and enjoy,

Joe

sonar11

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 4:14 pm

I find it a pity that this organ sample only comes in 1 size: unwieldy. :shock: :)

I can't afford that price nor the computing requirements nor the speaker setup required to play that all back without distortion, but the sample might be nicer divided into smaller organs, something between 40 to 60 ranks I might consider purchasing.

jcfelice88keys

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:05 pm

sonar11 wrote:I find it a pity that this organ sample only comes in 1 size: unwieldy. :shock: :)

I can't afford that price nor the computing requirements nor the speaker setup required to play that all back without distortion, but the sample might be nicer divided into smaller organs, something between 40 to 60 ranks I might consider purchasing.

Yes, Mr. Sonar11, the MTH organ is a monster both in terms of monetary cost, computer power (especially RAM) requirements, and a decent sound system required to deliver the goods. When I was beta testing this instrument over the past two+ years, I found I needed to upgrade my computer to 12-cores (hyper-threadabe to 24 cores) and 128GB RAM to create the huge performances I was able to provide to the CBCH. Even if those conditions are met, this instrument in the full version requires at least three (preferably four) keyboards plus full pedal board.

Hopefully, you did enjoy the sound of the instrument's various tonal divisions.

Cheers,

Joe

james.flores

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 am

162_Ranks wrote:I search for "IA - Melbourne Town Hall" and find nothing. Is it possible that there have been no submissions?

EDIT: found three, would love to hear more if anyone is in a position to post!

https://youtu.be/oGQG_3Pufm8

and more in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQpRZNM ... IrnkM7QgH2

organsRgreat

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 am

Since this sample set was launched two smaller versions have been produced; the smallest of these - the "Essential" edition, has only 54 stops whereas the complete set has 175. For a comparison of the sets available please see https://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/pr ... h#editions

SKresge

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am

jcfelice88keys wrote:
When I was beta testing this instrument over the past two+ years, I found I needed to upgrade my computer to 12-cores (hyper-threadabe to 24 cores) and 128GB RAM to create the huge performances I was able to provide to the CBCH. Even if those conditions are met, this instrument in the full version requires at least three (preferably four) keyboards plus full pedal board.

Hopefully, you did enjoy the sound of the instrument's various tonal divisions.

Cheers,

Joe

Since you beta tested, can I ask you a question. I purchased the full version and the sound is Very, Very soft on my system. I have many other organs that play properly, but this one when I play I can barely hear it. I have turned the computer volume all the way up, the receiver volume all the way up and adjusted all the voicing within the organ to max on all divisions, and it still doesn't play like the other organs I own, like Hereford, St. Maximum, etc. What am I doing wrong. It was a lot of money to invest and I find myself not playing it very much because of this.

Scott

mdyde

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 am

Hello Scott,

I don't have experience with the sample set myself, and you may well already have tried this, but just in case you weren't aware of it:

The 'Trim db' setting on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control is a per-organ volume control, intended to allow the user to balance the overall levels of different organs relative to each other.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

SKresge

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:57 am

mdyde wrote:The 'Trim db' setting on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control is a per-organ volume control, intended to allow the user to balance the overall levels of different organs relative to each other.

Martin,

I was aware of this, but forgot about it as I haven't used it in quite a while.

Thanks!!

Sound is great, and I am going to enjoy playing this organ now!

Scott

mdyde

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks, Scott. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 6:05 am

The Trim dB controls are quite useful for on-the-fly adjustment of volume control. I have them assigned to two buttons on my Launchpad, which I also use for switching between virtual divisions, temperaments and surround-sound presets. I also have a MIDI reset button there, and the controls for cueing the stepper frame.

smfrank

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 12:22 pm

For some reason the trim controls seem to be really slow to respond.
I love MTH but have to make many of the stops louder to make a better balance.
The loud stops are fine, but soft and medium stops are way too soft.
Maybe that’s how the real organ is, but I find much of the organ way too soft.
Steve
Steven Frank

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 4:12 pm

I haven't got Melbourne Town Hall, and to tell you the truth I have been a bit discouraged by Inspired Acoustics samples as I find the two romantic organs I bought from them (Matyas and Kispest) almost unplayable as the sound seems to build up for a moment after the note is played almost like those quizzes you sometimes here where you have to guess a piece of music from a recording played backwards. I also have PSZ (I won't try to spell it properly), which is a small Baroque instrument and does sound nice, but their large samplesets are expensive and would take days to download over my remote rural "fibre broadband" connection, so I don't think I will take another gamble with them.

If the main problem you have is that the dynamic range is too great, maybe there is something you can do with the Hauptwerk voicing tools. I haven't really experimented very much with them (other than to tone down a pedal G from Salisbury which hit a resonant frequency in my room), but they let you adjust the volume of a stop either on a note by note basis or for the rank as a whole. I think you can adjust other things, such as the brightness, and I know some people spend many happy (?) hours revoicing their samples to suit their rooms, or more likely their taste. I don't know anything about voicing organs, though it seems to me the whole character of an instrument can be completely changed by adjusting what is in effect the scaling of the pipework (how the ratio of length to width changes as you go up the scale) which organ builders often regard as a proprietary secret, and how the various components of the chorus relate to each other. I'm afraid that I tend to take in on trust that the professionals know better than I do and play my samples as is.

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall