It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

HW as a plugin in DAWs, Am I deluded, or Just plain dumb !!

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

thefatcyclist

HW as a plugin in DAWs, Am I deluded, or Just plain dumb !!

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 pm

I'm a newbie here to HW and to serious organ playing, but not to Macs, DAWs, controllers keyboards etc. I am using the free version, but have posted here because I think this is where I will find answers. I have researched a lot of the forum, but can't quite find what I need.
I got HW because I wanted a great pipe organ soft instrument. I hoped it would plug in to Garageband, etc, just like my Pianoteq, Farfisa combo, Minimoog etc etc, then I read the instructions, and it looked like I would need to use Reaper. Not my fav' DAW, in the past on PC. I was brought up on Cubase. So I downloaded Reaper, but when I load The St Annes, I get a blank page. I have plenty of reverbs so the linking for that doesn't appeal. I have searched this section of the forum, and been pointed to pages around 189 et sequence,in the manual, and I think I will find what I need there. The trouble is I have a slight learning problem, and it takes me a while to assimilate stuff. So I thought I would ask here, to check if I am on the right track. Will it be possible to open up HW inside Reaper or any other DAW as a plugin soft instrument? I'm just looking for somebody to tell me I am not wasting my tims, before I delve in to virtual midi cables etc' I am using a Nektar Panorama P6, into a Mac. I do have an m audio controller, M audio interface, and a Kurweil available, but due to another project I don't want to mess with my setp too much just yet. I can play the standalone St Annes with no issues, except that I can't stop the midi demo playing when I try to record audio.
I know I could play organ parts in reaper or Garageband, then use the midi file created to play in standalone and record that as audio, then export it back into the DAW as an audio file. But I'd prefer not to have to.
So grateful for any feedback, sorry to be that, "hello i'm new here, no tell me, this and this and this please."
Also keen to know if any member in Fife Scotland or nearby. Can't find any in member search. J

josq

Re: HW as a plugin in DAWs, Am I deluded, or Just plain dumb

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 3:57 am

Many users combine Hauptwerk with Reaper. Other DAWs can be used too. Hauptwerk is a standalone program so you cannot run it from within a DAW. Rather you can use the Hauptwerk VST link that is installed with Hauptwerk.

IainStinson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 4:52 am

HW runs separately from the DAW so that the resources it needs are not constrained by the DAW.
It uses the VST plug in so it appears to the DAW to be another
Instrument running within the DAW.

There are sections in the manual about using HW in Reaper etc these use adding reverberation as an example of usage. You could of course use the DAW for any other purpose.

I’m not an expert in this area but found the manual and these tutorials helpful.

https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials-applying-software-reverb/

Direct link to text
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/AU_VST/HauptwerkAUAndVSTTutorials-UsingReaperForRealtimeReverb.pdf

Good luck

Iain

Iain

thefatcyclist

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:36 am

Thanks for the information so far folks. all more or less what I expected. The reaper tutorial looks good, I'll hopefully get to it very soon. I will post my outcome. So HW becomes an external midi instrument, like a hardware synth would be. I will follow this idea. Thanks

IainStinson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 am

So HW becomes an external midi instrument, like a hardware synth would be.

I'm not sure this is accurate. Hauptwerk appears within the DAW as a "full" VST instrument; you can send data from the DAW into Hauptwerk and data from Hauptwerk to the DAW via the Hauptwerk VST plug-in. The manual says (pg 181)
Unlike older Hauptwerk versions, and unlike most conventional virtual instrument software, Hauptwerk itself doesn't actually run as a plug-in instrument entirely within the AU/VST host. Instead, Hauptwerk always runs as a stand-alone application, optionally allowing audio and MIDI to be routed between Hauptwerk and an AU/VST host (MIDI sequencer) by selecting the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link entry as an audio output device and/or as a MIDI IN or MIDI OUT port in Hauptwerk

Its worth reading the manual from pg 181 onwards..... (I find it needs to read a few times before the power of the VST plug-in is fully appreciated.) I don't think you need to use virtual midi cables - midi can be sent via the VST plug-in.

Iain

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing