It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:44 am

St. Pons sample set (Sonus Paradisi)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

St. Pons sample set (Sonus Paradisi)

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:09 am

I have the pleasure to introduce the St. Pons Virtual Organ for Hauptwerk. It is a model of a French late baroque instrument built in the second half of 18th century by J.-B. Micot. The instrument has 3 manuals, pedal and 30 speaking stops of the typical French flavor. The instrument is located in a glorious acoustics of the large St. Pons cathedral (reverb time over 4 seconds).

The sample set is in 6-channel surround format. Using the dedicated mixing slider the user can adjust the virtual listening position, moving towards or away from the pipes. The front-direct audio channels give the sound nice intimacy, while the front-diffuse accentuate the cathedral acoustics.

It can be used in Hauptwerk version 4.2 and higher, the Advanced version is recommended for the full surround sound.

More details, including the specification and some demo pieces of the instrument may be found on the Sonus Paradisi web pages.

The demo version is available for free download from the web page of the virtual instrument.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

1961TC4ME

Re: St. Pons sample set (Sonus Paradisi)

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 11:31 am

Awesome, Jiri! The audio examples sound fantastic! Funny, but after a considerable break I have just gotten myself back into playing the French repertoire and I've been using St. Max again quite a lot as of late. This post was a very nice surprise to see this morning (made my day! :D), and this instrument sounds to be a very fine addition to my lineup!

Marc

1961TC4ME

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 2:06 pm

The great, Michel Chapuis has played this instrument. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX5u6ctuMoQ

Marc

StephenM

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 3:46 am

A bonus is that the DEMO has a couple more stops than Jiri suggests. Thank you. Stephen

1961TC4ME

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 11:37 am

The 16' on the pedal works in the demo but is very weak. Is this an error in the demo, or how it really is in the actual set?

Marc

1961TC4ME

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 11:38 am

Listening to the audio demos on the SP site the 16' pedal seems very normal, but again, very weak in the demo. You just about can't even detect the note pitch change from one pedal key to the next.

Marc

Fokko

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Dear Marc,
I have not listened to all audio demo's on SP website, maybe some voicing has been done?
But as I read on the website, the 16' stop in the pedal section is just a virtual transmission from GO. It does not sound like what " we " these days actually expect of a pedal stop, I agree. For GO it definitely will bring gravitas to the plenum as it is designed for the GO.
Fokko Horst

1961TC4ME

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Fokko wrote:Dear Marc,
I have not listened to all audio demo's on SP website, maybe some voicing has been done?
But as I read on the website, the 16' stop in the pedal section is just a virtual transmission from GO. It does not sound like what " we " these days actually expect of a pedal stop, I agree. For GO it definitely will bring gravitas to the plenum as it is designed for the GO.

The 16' pedal in the demo works independently of the Great regardless of whatever other stops are drawn. Install the demo, select the 16' pedal, play it by itself and see what you think.

Marc

bourdon

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 5:48 am

Congratulations for this new achievement , we have vey much expected!
(By the way, the exact name of the town is : Saint-Pons-de-Thomières.)

IainStinson

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 10:21 am

You may find this site of some interest http://www.orgue-saint-pons.org/index.htm

1961TC4ME

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 11:40 am

Fokko wrote:Dear Marc,

Upon further review it's actually the first couple lower octaves on the pedal (borrowed from the GO) and the GO itself where the 16' is quite weak, so perhaps some voicing would be in order to give things a little bump.

I find (in what I can hear) this instrument to be very clear. Even with the settings all the way out to the most wet it still has a presence of being quite close with the reverberation almost as a side effect in the background. All I can say at this point is I sure would like to hear more of this instrument as the available stops on the GO alone are not enough for me to make an informed decision / purchase on an instrument of this type as you can not play a Tierce en Taille, a Basse de Trompette, etc., etc., with the demo. Otherwise it does sound very nice for those willing to just jump in. :wink:

Marc

Return to Hauptwerk instruments