It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Mac quad-core vs 6-core

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

fermata

Mac quad-core vs 6-core

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Is a 6-core to be preferred over a quad-core? I'll be going with 32GB memory and 512 GB SSD, which is sufficient for my sample set needs.

csw900

Re: Mac quad-core vs 6-core

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 3:13 am

Hi fermata

I do not think you will notice any difference without a stopwatch, but provided HW actually uses the extra cores (debateable) the extra cores should slightly reduce loading time. This assumes all else is the same, (which is unlikely).

Processor speed, memory speed and SSD speed are more important considerations for reducing load times.

csw900

mnailor

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 am

Hauptwerk uses the additional cores in real time playing, not just loading. I replaced an old, relatively slow, 8 core Xeon, whose hard drive failed, with a current 4 core i7 last year. Playing full organ on Caen surround or Doesburg puts the cpu meter in the red on the new machine. I had to cut polyphony quite a lot to make it work on 4 cores, and am not happy with the sound. So I would buy 6 cores if I had the option.

I even tried to resurrect my old Xeon with new SSDs, but the reinstalled Windows 7 won't recognize the touchscreen monitor that it worked with for 4 years before. And then I found out only some Xeon processors support Windows 10, not mine... Gah.

If you are avoiding medium-to-large samplesets, 4 cores may be okay.

fermata

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks to you both! I also have Caen. I'll go with 6-core to be safe, and a good processor speed. Not sure yet if I'll go with the new MacMini or MacBook Pro....

orcoaffamato

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 12:46 am

fermata wrote:Thanks to you both! I also have Caen. I'll go with 6-core to be safe, and a good processor speed. Not sure yet if I'll go with the new MacMini or MacBook Pro....

Are you using an external audio interface that is connected to a USB2 port? 'cause the new Macs have problems to work with USB2 audio interfaces: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/285971-apples-latest-macs-have-a-serious-usb-audio-problem

I was going to buy the new Mac Mini, but luckily I discovered it in time... it would have caused me serious problems, 'cause I have a RME Digiface audio interface that works with USB2.
Then I'll probably build a PC with a new AMD Ryzen 9 3850X cpu (16 cores and 4.3 GHz) in the near future.

fermata

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Thank you, orcoaffamato for this alert, and the link to that article about the T2 processor. I won't be going with that much power anyway. As for USB 2, I 've been considering the Focusrite 2i4 audio/midi interface, which does use a USB 2 printer type of cable. I'll have to look into this. There must be some adapter or other cable that will work to connect the two....

Return to Computer hardware / specs