It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

SP Altenbruch Klapmeyer high CPU usage

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

abaymajr

SP Altenbruch Klapmeyer high CPU usage

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 pm

I have purchased license for the Sonus Paradisi Klapmeyer sampleset some days ago and since then I have experienced high CPU usage when using it, which causes the cooling fan of my notebook to run at a higher and noisier speed. Klapmeyer (loaded with its 4 Direct and Diffuse channels and without the rear channels, because of memory constraints) at idle produces a 24% CPU usage for Hauptwerk task and >2GHz clock on a Intel 6th gen mobile CPU, while 4-channel SP Boizard (St. Michel-en-Thierache) 6% and <1GHz respectively. OAM Steinkirchen Schnitger only 1%! And SP St. Pons Micot DEMO around 14% with all the 6 channels loaded.

Is there any explanation for these differences, or something that might be fixed?

Also, I would like to take the opportunity to suggest Sonus Paradisi to try to nest original and extended compass into an organ instance only, for the sake of avoiding too many long organ caches and sharing its configuration, just like OAM do with their samplesets (i.e., Steinkirchen).

zurek

Re: SP Altenbruch Klapmeyer high CPU usage

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:36 am

One can only guess the reasons for various CPU usage.

1. Wind model. My wind models are usually CPU intensive. If you need to spare your CPU, disable the wind model.

2. Number of channels. Although the rear channels disabled, Hauptwerk still takes them into the account for the wind model, for example, (for the sake of the stability and predictability). So, model with 6 channels is likely to use more CPU than 2 channel model.

3. Number of samples per rank.

Finally, there is nothing wrong in using CPU power to calculate, that is what they are manufactured for.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

abaymajr

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 6:14 am

zurek wrote:One can only guess the reasons for various CPU usage.

1. Wind model. My wind models are usually CPU intensive. If you need to spare your CPU, disable the wind model.

2. Number of channels. Although the rear channels disabled, Hauptwerk still takes them into the account for the wind model, for example, (for the sake of the stability and predictability). So, model with 6 channels is likely to use more CPU than 2 channel model.

3. Number of samples per rank.

Finally, there is nothing wrong in using CPU power to calculate, that is what they are manufactured for.

Thanks, Jiri, for your prompt reply. Actually, I'm not directly upset with CPU usage, which of course is made to be used, but the louder fan noise generated when the CPU is used continually at a higher level, as I use the same 2-in-1 laptop for both Hauptwerk hosting and score reading/annotating. Since I metered considerable difference in CPU usage between samplesets, I thought it could be something fixable related to the Klapmeyer sampleset, Hauptwerk itself or something between those.

Anyway, I have discovered that setting maximum CPU usage to 90% on Windows' advanced power configuration refrains CPU fan to reach its noisiest speeds while loosing only a tiny performance on other tasks.

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 am

I am somewhat puzzled by your post. I have Altenbruch and it doesn't have this impact upon my system (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) - either with or without the wind model active.

If you've not yet done so, I suggest working your way through the steps recommended for optimising Windows for Hauptwerk audio.

https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorial ... mizations/

Andrew

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am

Andrew Grahame wrote:If you've not yet done so, I suggest working your way through the steps recommended for optimising Windows for Hauptwerk audio.

https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorial ... mizations/

Andrew

HMMM...After reading in the link the 30+ cautions to be considered by PC users (and hardly understood, if so), I have to come back to the expensive Macs.

OrganoPleno

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 am

profeluisegarcia wrote:After reading in the link the 30+ cautions to be considered by PC users (and hardly understood, if so), I have to come back to the expensive Macs.

On the other hand, the new MAC's are reported to come with a serious Audio Glitch, "built in".
As reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17376

and here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17380

mnailor

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 pm

I have the same cpu behavior on my 4 core i7 windows 7 pro, with the recommended performance tuning.

With Altenbruch loaded, 4 channels out of 6, Hauptwerk steadily uses 18% of cpu when idle. Disabling the wind model reduces that to 7%, and disabling the other audio engine models saves a couple % more. Of course I enable all that or it would be less fun to play.

However, my fan doesn't run as the original poster's does, so this doesn't concern me.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments