It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

need help with midi connection

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

fermata

need help with midi connection

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:11 pm

I've got Hauptwerk downloaded onto my personal computer (MacBook Pro), and St. Anne's sample set is up and running. A simple midi interface connects my computer to a digital piano keyboard. I would like to play St. Anne's on this keyboard and hear the sounds through its speakers. Not happening. What might I be doing wrong? (This interface works with Logic Pro.)

IainStinson

Re: need help with midi connection

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Check that the midi port you presented by your keyboard is enabled for midi input in Hauptwerk by looking at the General Settings | Midi ports window. If it’s not enabled you can enable it in this Window. Also ensure the keyboard is connected to your computer before starting hauptwerk.
Iain

organtechnology

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:56 pm

fermata wrote:I've got Hauptwerk downloaded onto my personal computer (MacBook Pro), and St. Anne's sample set is up and running. A simple midi interface connects my computer to a digital piano keyboard. I would like to play St. Anne's on this keyboard and hear the sounds through its speakers. Not happening. What might I be doing wrong? (This interface works with Logic Pro.)

Since I have no knowledge of Logic Pro this may be a little off base but as I understand it, If you wish to hear the samples of the St. Anne's on your keyboards speakers you will need to connect the audio output of your PC to the audio inputs of the keyboard speakers. The MIDI signals have no audio on them just digital key press information.
Thomas

I
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

organtechnology

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:57 pm

fermata wrote:I've got Hauptwerk downloaded onto my personal computer (MacBook Pro), and St. Anne's sample set is up and running. A simple midi interface connects my computer to a digital piano keyboard. I would like to play St. Anne's on this keyboard and hear the sounds through its speakers. Not happening. What might I be doing wrong? (This interface works with Logic Pro.)

Since I have no knowledge of Logic Pro this may be a little off base but as I understand it, If you wish to hear the samples of the St. Anne's on your keyboards speakers you will need to connect the audio output of your PC to the audio inputs of the keyboard speakers. The MIDI signals have no audio on them just digital key press information.
Thomas

I
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

fermata

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 4:40 pm

I DID forget to plug in the audio cables :oops: , and so that is working now -- thanks, Iain.

As to the MIDI, I've been through the general settings backwards and forwards trying every likely option, and while the little green MIDI button lights up in the lower right corner of St. Anne's when I play my controller, no sounds come out of St. Anne's on my controller's speakers. However, when I play St. Anne's keyboard on its console screenshot, St.Anne's sounds DO come out of my controller's speakers. Any further ideas, anyone?

IainStinson

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Have you autodetected the keyboard? HW needs to know the midi channel on which the keyboard sends midi data.

Right click on the keyboard in the console image, select auto detect, press lowest and highest note and click OK. Playing the keys on the keyboard should move the keys on the console image.

Iain

fermata

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Thank you, Iain! Yes it is working now! I've been using odds and ends of equipment at home, and if I can get it going with all these work-arounds, then I am feeling confident enough to order the proper equipment I been researching. Especially knowing that there are so many kindly people on the forum willing to help. Thanks to everyone!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing