It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

new iPad Pro 12.9" as touch display

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

fermata

new iPad Pro 12.9" as touch display

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am

Hello!
I am considering the new 12.9" iPad as a touch display for Hauptwerk on a Mac. As I've never used a touch device before, there are things I don't understand about this unit. For example, it's base model has a "capacity" of 64GB. Is this the same as storage on a computer? Memory? I know that for some reason Hauptwerk itself must be run from a proper computer, but what about storing the sample sets on an iPad?

telemanr

Re: new iPad Pro 12.9" as touch display

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm

You can only store the sample sets on whatever computer is running HW.
In my opinion you’d be much better off, and it would be cheaper, to use a normal touch screen monitor with whatever computer you use to run HW.
An iPad is really meant for things like your email, contacts, notes, pictures, reading books, maps, etc. And there are thousands of “apps” (little programs) that do marvellous things like show you the current cheapest gas stations, and, and, and.
That’s what the 64GB on the iPad is for...those “apps” and books and pictures etc.
Rob Enns

ldeutsch

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Fermata,

I agree with Telemanr in general. There are better and less expensive ways to get a good Mac touch screen. However, if you already have the iPad, it is a simple matter to use it with HW.

You will have to run the organs themselves on a real computer. Assuming your computer is a Mac, you can then run Duet on both the Mac and the iPad. Duet is an app that connects the two of these together in the way that you want. Your iPad becomes a second Mac display, complete with touch capability.

Duet requires that the Mac and iPad be connected with a cable - but this is good because it reduces the latency to an acceptable level.

I use an iPad in all of my voicing work with HW. I used a dedicated consoles with lots of stops - but I use the iPad to access HW's voicing screens. I cannot reach my computer, but the iPad sits nicely on the music rack. It works like a charm.

Les

fermata

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks for your input, telemanr. I don't plan to use the iPad much while playing, but instead rely on finger pistons. I've done a lot of touchscreen research already, and since I'm using a Mac, it isn't that easy -- if it isn't one problem, then it's another. That's why I'm thinking of the iPad -- at least it is definitely Mac-compatible! Plus, it will keep my organ system nice and compact, sitting on the music rest behind my sheet music. I just want to be sure it will work with Hauptwerk as a touchscreen, for occasional use. I will probably use a new MacMini for the computer.

fermata

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Thank you, Les! I'm so glad to know it works well, and that someone is actually using it! And thanks for the tip about Duet. I was never thrilled with the idea of those big touchscreens, although they can look nice, I suppose. The iPad is the solution I like -- small and unobtrusive, but functional.

IainStinson

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 7:02 pm

BTW, Duet now supports Windows systems as well a MACs. At present (in the UK at least) the app for the ipad is being offered at a reduced price (uk£10). [It seems to work nicely on Windows 10.]]

fermata

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm

One last question here, as I am about to order....
Will the base model of the new iPad Pro be okay, with 64 GB "capacity" (whatever that is)?

fermata

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm

One last question here, as I am about to order....

Will the base model of the new iPad Pro (with 64GB capacity) be okay to use as a touch display?

larason2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 2:04 pm

64 GB should be fine, as you’re not using that memory for anything Hauptwerk related. The iPad is in essence a monitor. I would also consider Luna Display, which is a bit more expensive than Duet, but let’s you use the iPad wirelessly.

JRP

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I can also recommend Luna display - it uses a USB plug on the computer and then links the iPad wirelessly - I have found there to be little or no noticeable latency. I have using the USB C plug with a MacBook Pro.

fermata

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Thank you, both! Yes, I will look into the Luna display -- wireless sounds great!

JRP -- is your MacBook Pro also your personal computer, or do you dedicate it solely to Hauptwerk? How much memory to you have on it?

Return to General discussion