It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

MacMini processor: 4-core or 6-core?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

fermata

MacMini processor: 4-core or 6-core?

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 pm

I was about to buy the new MacMini (with 32GB of memory, 512GB storage) when I realized I don't know which processor to go with -- the 4-core or 6-core? If 6-core, which one?

The 6-core:
3.0GHz 6-core Intel Core i5
or
3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7

The 4-core:
3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i3

Can anyone advise here?

IainStinson

Re: MacMini processor: 4-core or 6-core?

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I would go for the fastest processor (with the most cores) you can afford.

Do you know which sample sets you are going to use?

An issue with machines like the MAC mini is that the can't readily be upgraded, so if you need to upgrade memory or ssd size you may have to change the whole machine.

When HW runs a virtual organs the sample set data for that organ must really fit into main memory; with 32GB memory, the maximum size sample set you could run will be around 30GB. Is this sufficient for the sample sets you know you want to use?

HW Sample sets come with a large quantity of data which is installed by the HW installer onto your hard drive (or SSD) . Over time you may need to use an external disk drive to hold some of this data.

Have you read the information about possible problems with some recent MAC machines? (As a HW PC user (though I have a MAC) I can't verify any of this but you perhaps should at least be aware of what is being said...) See http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17380&hilit=apple+T2

fermata

Re: MacMini processor: 4-core or 6-core?

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for the link, Iain. I'm looking into the troublesome T2 chip.

The sample sets I'll be using are the Caen, Zvolle, Hereford, and someday, hopefully, the Mt. Carmel, when the new version gets released. I do not anticipate going any larger than these.

Thanks for the tip on the processor, and I'll take your advice...but I may wait a bit until I can determine whether the T2 chip will be a problem for my needs on the MacMini.

Return to General discussion