It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 am

Mt. Carmel Skinner strange problem

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Hartley Mays

Mt. Carmel Skinner strange problem

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 am

Good Morning,

I have a new problem with Mt Carmel Skinner I can't figure out. It seems that some stops are stuck sounding regardless of what I do to try to turn everything off. I don't know which ones; none are lit. General Cancel has no effect. It begins as soon as I bring up Hauptwerk after a fresh reboot, so that doesn't help. They sound only when I press keys, I don't mean that they are sounding continuously. Also, this happens on multiple Hauptwerk configurations, not one particular one.

Any idea what's happening or how to fix?

Hartley

smfrank

Re: Mt. Carmel Skinner strange problem

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 9:31 am

Crescendo pedal?
Steve
Steven Frank

Hartley Mays

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 am

Steve,

Yes, it was set on, so that evidently was the problem. But I thought that the stops it was using would be lit on the console, and I don't understand why multiple configs would be affected?

Thanks for the quick response,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

brooke.benfield

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 am

Hi Hartly;

Typically on a real organ the crescendo pedal is "blind", meaning that the stops that are part of the crescendo pedal sequence are not moved/lit.

I'd suspect there is something going on with your crescendo pedal itself rather than anything wrong with a sampleset.

I'm not sure but I think you might be able to fix this problem with the zero (off) position in the Organ Settings | Organ Expression/Crescendo Pedals and Sliders/Knobs window as shown on page 150 of the User Manual. At the bottom of this window is a place where you can set what the minimum position value is. My guess is that if you bump up the minimum value this problem will go away. If I am off the mark here somebody smarter than me should chime in.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

magnaton

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Hartley Mays wrote: But I thought that the stops it was using would be lit on the console, and I don't understand why multiple configs would be affected?

From my experience, the majority of crescendo pedals implemented on organs are blind. However I did discover on a large 3 manual Johannus organ with lighted drawknobs, the stops would light up when the crescendo was pressed. Not sure if that feature is on all their models or just their deluxe ones.

The Armley-Schultze sample set will activate the virtual stops when the crescendo is depressed. :)

Danny B.

telemanr

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 pm

It’s almost certainly the problem Brooke suggested which would affect all sample sets.
Rob Enns

Hartley Mays

strange problem -> no, user error

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 9:39 am

Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. In my defense, I'm not a professional organist, and use Hauptwerk from Reaper as a VST. I turn individual stops off and on from Reaper and don't use the pedals (deliberately) much at all. So anyway, I was completely misled by no stop lights being on and the problem occurring on multiple configs. All I had to do was turn off the Crescendo pedal.

I re-read the discussion of alt configs in the user guide this morning and I guess it's still not clear why the state of the pedal is preserved across system restarts and the multiple configs, but at least I'll be aware of it now.

Regards,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

engrssc

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 10:21 am

As far as I recall the Crescendo pedal is part of the ODF and as such will always appear unless the ODF is modified.

Rgds,
Ed

Hartley Mays

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 am

Ed,

By "appearance", are you referring to its visibility or its state?

Hartley
Hartley Mays

engrssc

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 12:36 pm

It's state. It is "there/present" whether you choose to use it or not.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Hauptwerk instruments