It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

Registration setting issue.

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Registration setting issue.

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Happened yesterday, I wasn't present. We have the scoped lighted pistons. From what I can gather, the organist wanted to add to an existing (divisional) piston's registration. She pushed that (wanted to add to) piston and apparently pulled several stops with the setter on. Releasing the setter, etc, now 2 pistons (1 & 2) are activated when either of them is pushed. Appears the added hand registered stops are what was programmed for #2 piston.

So pistons 1 & 2 were effectively joined together. I went thru the process of re-scoping that division and all works as previous. Find this joining together of pistons doesn't occur when strictly hand registering only when pushing a given piston and attempting to add to that existing registration. Again, some of the above is assumptions. Any suggestions as to avoiding the problem? Being a headless instrument, there is no way to select the do not save feature.

Some of the answers are here:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9929&p=73104&hilit=selecting+registration+combinations#p72651

We don't use the sample set's native pistons because the ODF doesn't not allow for lighted pistons. If a console's piston is programmed to use the sample set's native pistons, the console's piston only blinks but doesn't stay lit. Using the scoped pistons does light the console's pistons and the active piston stays lit until either another of that same division or a general piston is pressed which is the correct operation. This is complicated by the fact that this instrument is headless and there is no way to see what is happening or to make selections that one could do with a screen, keyboard and mouse such as not saving a change.

On a personal note, some of you of aware that my wife (of 50+ years) passed in late January. In that regard, one of our doctors prescribed for me a "sedative" med saying it would help me better cope with the loss. Finding out (now) this was a mind altering drug given patients contemplating such things as suicide. Furthest thing from my thoughts. Any way, this drug had some very negative results for me, as not being able to focus or think clearly. On my own, I stopped taking this med and things are starting to clear up. Some may have noticed I had trouble initially contemplating the (simple) issue of scoped pistons and several other things like that. Quite scary. Lesson learned, don't trust everything a doctor prescribes. Seems this doc prescribes this med routinely as there is a high rate of suicides among Alzheimer's care givers which I did for the past 5 years.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

Re: Registration setting issue.

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 am

My only observation is that the stops were moved while the setter was activated. That seems like a potentially undefined mode of operation. Normally one would set the registration, activate the setter, push the piston where the registration is to be stored, and then release the SET piston (or push it again depending on how it has been configured). Does anyone know what is supposed to happen when stops are moved while the setter is active?

For a headless console I would configure the lighted SET piston so it does not toggle, that is it will operate only while held in and lit up. For a headless console the stops need to be SAMs or lighted controls so that they are in the correct state at all times.

I'm wondering why the organist didn't just repeat the operation and set the intended registration. Probably something is getting lost in the communication of the problem.

Tell me about sedatives! I occasionally take one because the preferred meds would mess with my COPD. They do tend to hang on longer than advertised.

mnailor

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Changing stops and couplers while the setter is engaged is supported, see page 104 of the user guide for that.

I'm not seeing how the original mixup might have happened...

jkinkennon

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks for the info about page 104 of the User Guide. I'm normally an avid manual reader -- really. I hadn't even realized that there were more scoped pistons available than the ones shown on the Registrations panel. When setting up consoles with 6 divisional pistons per manual I've been borrowing the 6th piston from the F1 to F5 row. That works fine of course but now I will use the Master Scoped Pistons (All) panel.

Still amused that I had missed the "complete" panel.

mnailor

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am

You're welcome. I've been using 52 of the scoped pistons as divisionals. Can't come up with enough console buttons to use those last 8, which just seems sad.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Curious as to how to keep track of all those pistons and the music as well. Qwik, what does #52 & #27 do?

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Snort. I use 13 scoped divisionals under each of 4 keyboards. CMK3 keyboards, so the groupings are no more than 5. Another 5 per keyboard for master generals and 2 for controls like setter, cancel, scope, hand registered, and trems. Toe studs are couplers and reversibles. All assigned with boring consistency for 30 organs... I don't know which ones are #52 and #27, it's all by position in small groups with specific intents.

It's easy to reach for the right piston since I only use 3 generic schemes to set them: one for French classical organs, one for all other baroque, and one for everything built after 1800. The main thing that differs is how many manuals the organ has. Obviously there are different stops for a fonds 8 4 piston on different organs, but it's always the same button.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing