It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

The Kenneth Tickell organ of St Mary-le-Bow, London

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

David Butcher

The Kenneth Tickell organ of St Mary-le-Bow, London

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 5:34 am

I'm pleased to announce the release of a new sample set - it's the organ by Kenneth Tickell, built in 2010, for the church of St Mary-le-Bow in the heart of the City of London.

At the time of his untimely passing in 2014, Ken Tickell was regarded as one of the finest contemporary British organ builders, constructing instruments based largely in the classical English tradition, but with leanings to different organ schools where appropriate. Although largely English in sound, the 30 stop St Mary-le-Bow organ has a certain French influence, both classical and romantic and the instrument speaks into a very pleasant acoustic with a reverb time of some 4 seconds.

The sample set is presented in both single- (stereo) channel and multi-channel editions and an extended version of some 39 stops spread over three manuals is also included in the purchase price.

Please see the following webpage for more information ... https://www.lavenderaudio.co.uk/organs/smb/ ... where you'll also find a link to a 9 stop evaluation sample set. Agnus Dei has woven his magic by kindly producing some wonderful demonstration pieces which can also be found on the St Mary-le-Bow webpages.

In addition, pricing for some older sample sets has been reduced a little and the opportunity has been taken to make all sets available for download only with installation media now being available as an optional purchase (unfortunately, owing to EU VAT rules, customers based outside the UK but within the EU would still need to purchase installation media and this has been included in all Euro pricing).

It's been a very interesting project to work on and I hope you enjoy the sound of this instrument.

Best wishes to all,

IainStinson

Re: The Kenneth Tickell organ of St Mary-le-Bow, London

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 12:12 pm

I've downloaded the evaluation sample set and installed it.

The download (using Chrome) was straight forward (though the download of one of the three files needed to be manually restarted). For each of the three files in the evaluation set, I checked the MD5 checksums against the values listed on the website - they all matched. I installed the three files and configured the organ (24 bit, all samples and all releases) and set the sound with the "surround" to my rear speakers and the "ambient" and "close" channels to my main speakers.. No installation difficulties.

The evaluation set really sounds wonderful and is very pleasing to play.

Lavender Audio provide an excellent PDF document about the organ and sample set (as they usually do ) and this is very helpful. The "control panel" gives a number of options (described in the manual) and includes the ability to balance the three sound sources.

The extended version of the sample set configures a third division (choir) using material from the St Mary-le Bow's instrument which maintains the style of the instrument whilst extending its capabilities. The original St Mary-le-Bow instrument without the extensions is, of course, also included.

I decided this is one of the sample sets I would like to have and ordered it. I downloaded the 28GB (or thereabouts) of data using Filezilla (FTP client). All the files came down without any problems. I'm now waiting for MDA to send me the dongle update allow me to install and use the full instrument.

I've been listening to some of the fine recordings (from Agnus_Dei) of the organ and I'm sure this will be an outstanding sample set for Hauptwerk. Congratulations to all involved.

Iain

smfrank

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm

IainStinson wrote:I'm now waiting for MDA to send me the dongle updateIain

Yeah. Me too. All we do is wait.
I purchased at 8:28 this morning.
By 8:59am I received my download links AND a personal note from David!
It is now 7:09pm and NOTHING from Milan.
Not the first time this has happened.

This is 2019!!!! Stop with all the sales notices and get cracking on your product, Milan.

Steve
Steven Frank

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 4:18 am

I live in the Southern Hemisphere, so I'm accustomed to a delay of at least a day or two in the processing of dongle update files. To me it's no big deal.

Just once I did have to enquire about the slowness of a dongle update. After waiting for more than a week I contacted the sample set vendor in the first instance, who then contacted MDA. It appeared that something had gone wrong with the email communication between the vendor and MDA. The vendor - from whom I'd previously purchased other sample sets - assured me that he'd sent the request (and sent me a copy of his email to MDA to prove this) but MDA hadn't received it. A second request was sent, and the update process went through within the next 24 hours. This was clearly an aberration, not the norm. I've purchased many sample sets, and in recent times I've also sold a few and thus transferred ownership via dongle updates, so I'm very familiar with the processes.

I too have recently purchased St Mary-le-Bow. The download instructions came to me the next day - very early in the morning Sydney time. Twelve hours later, after work, I downloaded the installer files. I know that in due course the dongle update will come through, at which point I'll install the sample set. Meanwhile I'm greatly enjoying the sounds of the Evaluation set. As far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

Andrew

IainStinson

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 4:53 am

I quite like having "hard copy" of sample sets and ordered the media from Lavender Audio. (I still like to buy physical CD... ) The media (a USB memory stick) arrived by first class post this morning - beating the delivery of the dongle update which is still awaited.

I wonder if this is an area where some sensible automation might improve customer satisfaction and reduce the demands on MDA.

"Patience is a virtue..."

Iain

smfrank

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am

48 hours since purchase and NOTHING from Milan.
This has become the norm, rather than the exception.
This is so unacceptable, but nothing to do but wait.
And complain.

Steve
Steven Frank

adri

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 am

smfrank wrote:48 hours since purchase and NOTHING from Milan.
This has become the norm, rather than the exception.
This is so unacceptable, but nothing to do but wait.
And complain.

Steve

I'm waiting too for Nijkerk license update. It means that they are busy, and that means that business is going well, and that means longevity for Hauptwerk. Right? So, from my perspective, ALL is well.

smfrank

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 5:11 am

adri wrote:
I'm waiting too for Nijkerk license update. It means that they are busy, and that means that business is going well, and that means longevity for Hauptwerk. Right? So, from my perspective, ALL is well.

I hope your supposition is right.
To me it seems that their once customer attention seems to have disappeared.
Just like trying to get any info from CMK.
Steve
Steven Frank

telemanr

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 7:15 am

Could it be that they are working on the anti theft change that was talked about earlier?
Rob Enns

adri

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 3:03 pm

smfrank wrote:
adri wrote:

I hope your supposition is right.
To me it seems that their once customer attention seems to have disappeared.
Just like trying to get any info from CMK.
Steve

Martin Dyde used to be the number one guy to give forum feedback, but he has withdrawn himself from that task in order to work on the next version of the software, as doing both proved to be too much for him. This is what I know.

IainStinson

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 2:30 am

I'm pleased to say that I received a license update from MDA at 01:31(UK local time) on April 15th.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try this with the organ until tomorrow.

Iain

Return to Hauptwerk instruments