It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

Behringer 2031A Mishap

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

SKresge

Behringer 2031A Mishap

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Have a MacPro, late 2013 running advanced HW, a MOTU 16A with 16 Behringer 2031A truth monitors, four stereo pairs in the front of the room and four stereo pairs in the back running the solo/choir divisions (16 total channels). This set up is only about 2 months old and the monitor banks are about 30 feet off the ground.

Today during the postlude at service, there was a pop and crackling noise from the back bank of speakers and the volume dropped in the back. One of them had the LED light switch to red and then just off. You could also smell something hot afterwards.

The MOTU 16A had the channel four blue block turn red on the monitor as well.

Shut everything down and brought it back up, two of the speaker lights are off, but when I play and look at the MOTU 16A screen it shows all blue blocks in the diagonal, and all inputs and outputs lighting up like they work. Sound seems to be back to what it was.

With the LED lights off now, not sure what is working or not and not sure how to progress from here, any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,

Scott

magnaton

Re: Behringer 2031A Mishap

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:26 am

SKresge wrote:Shut everything down and brought it back up, two of the speaker lights are off, but when I play and look at the MOTU 16A screen it shows all blue blocks in the diagonal, and all inputs and outputs lighting up like they work. Sound seems to be back to what it was.

Hello Scott:

That is correct, the 16A just shows that HW is sending output signals to those channels. They would continue to light up even if all the Behringer speaker cables were unplugged. With the 2031A green pilot light out, it most likely means those speakers are dead. Since you are using "stereo pairs" you able to still hear notes coming from the back speaker array but the only the Left or Right channel of that pair is actually playing. Thus no audible dropped notes when hearing from a distance. A simple test is to have someone play (or use the MIDI playback) of the solo/choir divisions and you go back and hear them up close or touch the woofer and know they aren't playing. This a nice fault tolerance of active speakers in that you if you loose a couple as you did, you can continue on with the service/performance and usually no one is the wiser.

Since you lost 2 Behringer monitors at the exact same time, this may point to an electrical issue, maybe a power surge of some sort?

Many of us here on the forum have these monitors so keep us informed what you find out.

Danny B.

1961TC4ME

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

As Danny mentions, if you have a couple monitors that gave up the ghost, the MOTU 16A control panel will still show it is sending a signal to each channel, hence what you are seeing now. The next question is, which of the Behringers is receiving a signal but is not sounding? Here's another simple way to test things I sometimes employ in my own setup when verifying all speakers are working correctly: In the MOTU control panel you should be able to tick a box and mute each channel individually. Mute all the channels, then play something while bringing each channel back online (un-mute) one at a time and you will quickly discover which channels via the MOTU control panel shows the 2031's are getting a signal, but which 2031's are not actually sounding.

Marc

SKresge

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:Here's another simple way to test things I sometimes employ in my own setup when verifying all speakers are working correctly: In the MOTU control panel you should be able to tick a box and mute each channel individually. Mute all the channels, then play something while bringing each channel back online (un-mute) one at a time and you will quickly discover which channels via the MOTU control panel shows the 2031's are getting a signal, but which 2031's are not actually sounding.

Marc

Thanks Marc, these are 30' off the ground, that is an excellent suggestion!!

magnaton wrote: With the 2031A green pilot light out, it most likely means those speakers are dead.
Danny B.

So is there not a fuse or something that can be replaced?? Could they just be completely dead and need total replacement? They have only been up there just shy of two months.

But thanks for all the input, it is calming my a little prior to Holy Week craziness.

Scott

brooke.benfield

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Great Timing, eh?

Good luck with this. Perhaps change the signal routing and re-cache to get around the dead speakers.

There is a fuse in the module the power cords plug into so when you have time to retrieve these speakers you could try replacing them. I'd recommend also retrieving a working speaker and see if the resistances of the primary and secondary sides of the transformer in working/dead examples match up.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 7:07 pm

With a crackling sound and burning smell I can't imagine it's just a fuse. It's not uncommon for an output driver IC to short, driving DC through the voice coil. Obviously the biggest problem is accessing the monitors.

Eric

Return to Amplification