It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

A Psalm of Hope for Notre Dame!

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Agnus_Dei

A Psalm of Hope for Notre Dame!

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 am

With the seasons of Passover and Easter approaching, I recalled the liturgical recitation of Psalm 118.

It seemed particularly appropriate for the situation at Notre Dame.

When the central spire fell, breaking the roof, it also broke the fire's path to the West End - and the Organ...

PSALM 118

1 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.

2 Let Israel now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.

3 Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.

4 Let them now that fear the Lord say, that his mercy endureth for ever.

5 I called upon the Lord in distress: the Lord answered me, and set me in a large place.

6 The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

7 The Lord taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.

8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

9 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.

10 All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the Lord will I destroy them.

11 They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of the Lord I will destroy them.

12 They compassed me about like bees: they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the Lord I will destroy them.

13 Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the Lord helped me.

14 The Lord is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.

15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the Lord doeth valiantly.

16 The right hand of the Lord is exalted: the right hand of the Lord doeth valiantly.

17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord.

18 The Lord hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.

19 Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the Lord:

20 This gate of the Lord, into which the righteous shall enter.

21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.

22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

23 This is the Lord's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.

24 This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

25 Save now, I beseech thee, O Lord: O Lord, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.

26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the Lord: we have blessed you out of the house of the Lord.

27 God is the Lord, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.

28 Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.

29 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Peace to all!

engrssc

Re: A Psalm of Hope for Notre Dame!

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am

Very true. And beyond our understanding as well.

Interesting, there was concern as to how to raise $150M over the next 10 years for restoration, and yet in one day, even before the site is cool, there has been pledged over $300M. Was the fire a blessing?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/notre-dame-fire-rebuild-pinault-donation-french-billionaire

Rgds,
E

Agnus_Dei

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm

engrssc wrote:Very true. And beyond our understanding as well.

Interesting, there was concern as to how to raise $150M over the next 10 years for restoration, and yet in one day, even before the site is cool, there has been pledged over $300M. Was the fire a blessing?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/notre-dame-fire-rebuild-pinault-donation-french-billionaire

Rgds,
E

Well, you never know, do you?!?

One thing is certain, and I feel emotional writing this, let alone actually standing up and saying it: God would not let this mighty voice that has sung His praise for centuries be forever silenced, despite the fact that the flames of rage and spite came close!

As the Mi chamocha in many Jewish services says: Who is like unto the Lord our God?!? Mighty in deeds and awesome in His majestic presence!

Peace. :-)
Last edited by Agnus_Dei on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Agnus_Dei wrote:[As the Mi chamocha in many Jewish services says: Who is like unto the Lord our God?!? Mighty in deeds and awesome in His majestic presence!

We see the word awesome used quite often. In this case awesome is understated.

I see the pledges are up to $600M. What a difference a (potential) disaster can make.

Rgds,
Ed

murph

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:54 pm

My over-riding memory of Notre-Dame was hearing Victimae Paschale Laudes sung alternatum with the main organ on Easter Sunday 1982. (Cochereau!).
We were in the North Transcept, near the crossing. The effect was utterly sublime there. The rhythm of the piece matches the reverb bounce for the vocals in the choir+orgue choeur, which is nice in its-self, but the Grand Orgue (with ALL chamades!!!) popping in now and then, with the same bouncing from end to end was earth-shattering. I still remember it over 35 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlSK8vn55ZA

Return to General discussion