It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

Church is moving

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Church is moving

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm

to a soon to be under construction new church building. Planned seating for 500+. Presently, 24 channels/speakers are installed in front center. Have to make the decision now as where to place them in the new facility for the architect to include this in his plans.

Pretty (almost) straight forward with 3 manual divisions and a pedal division. Some would prefer 2 "chambers" up high, one on either side of center, while others would prefer "everything" in a single "chamber/space". Most likely the single "chamber" would need to be down low and off to one side.which would, however, permit easier access to the speakers which BTW are passive 3 way.
Along the lines of this Schoenstein instrument, but with a speaker chamber in place of the real pipes in a corner:

The 2 up high on either side of front (center) would be difficult to access if any servicing were needed. We have to get it right the first time without being able to make changes in the future.

Consideration is also being made for something in the rear for either an echo division or surround sound which presently they don't have. All speakers must be enclosed as in a built-in "chambers", none out in the open. The present sub(s).for the pedal division are large and heavy.

Spec calls for all wiring to be in conduit.

Appreciate some thoughts.

Rgds,
Ed

johnstump_organist

Re: Church is moving

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:43 am

If there is to be choir, you also need to consider where is the best place for the choir to hear and be in time with the organ and yet not be overwhelmed by it so they don't continually complain that the organ is too loud.
In general, I would think up high and reflecting off of upper walls and ceiling would provide the better sound. However I understand access is a consideration. However, if they are good speakers, and passive so there are no electronics to go bad in the speaker, once they are in and wired up, it should be several years before access is needed again.
John

Romanos

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 8:01 am

I can rarely think of a time when an organ down low was ever preferable. I'd vote for up high just like a typical instrument. If the choir will be down low and unable to hear the main instrument, a separate mix down pair could be placed near the choir (yay HW flexibility!). All told you will get a better mix, better acoustic effect, better spatial mixing, etc. I've had to sing (and play) with an organ right behind my back and it is exhausting. It can be literally painful, and it can be difficult to even hear yourself sing. I cannot overestimate that last part; I deal with it now in fact. You can harm your choir if you put stuff right behind them causing them to be able to only barely hear themselves sing. This will also cause issues if there are mics near the choir, because that means the mics will be near the organ too.

Romanos

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 8:06 am

(I'll also ask this question: how often do you actually futz with your instrument (physically)? I've had a fairly large HW setup with full console, large sub and 6 to 8 (depending on location) channels in three different houses over the last 5 years or so. Every time we've moved, I set it up and then have never had to touch it again apart from turning components on and off. If you're using passive speakers, you can easily run labeled speaker wire through conduit and keep your amplifiers right down near the console or in an easily accessible cabinet. I'd guess that once you've placed your speakers, apart from a catastrophic failure of a driver, you'll never need to touch them again. You can change routing and whatnot from the comfort of the console but you don't really need to be crawling up in the chambers for that.)

Romanos

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 8:07 am

And, after posting just now, I realize this thread is old (I haven't been on the forum in quite some time). How did it turn out? Hopefully my comments will still help someone in the future discovering this thread.

Return to Amplification