It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 am

Notre-Dame burning

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

bourdon

Notre-Dame burning

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 4:00 pm

The fire devastating at the present hour Notre -Dame de Paris is , evidently, a terrible catastrophe in many regards : religious , cultural, historic, economic, sentimental,...
This is a new and sad occasion to regret that many great and famous organs in France and around the world have not yet been sampled, and that some times because - as it seems- the owners, or persons in charge, or even some organ-makers don't want "their" organs put into sample sets...

smfrank

Re: Notre-Dame burning

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Richard Engel on MSNBC just said (7:10pm) that the organ is OK.
First mention I've heard of the organ!
Steve
Steven Frank

telemanr

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:55 pm

I find that rather unbelievable. And which organ? The one CNN showed a picture of wasn’t the main organ.
Rob Enns

bourdon

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 am

All three organs ( great, choir and little positive) are saved for the time being, says one of the titular organists. They must of course be soaked with water, but could be OK if the structure of the cathedral doesn't move now and if they can be taken apart and stored in waiting for reconstruction.

adri

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 am

During the Second World War, so many great organs were destroyed: Rotterdam, Arnhem, Dresden, Hamburg, etc.

If this ND organ only sustained some water damage and perhaps some façade melting, it is fully repairable.

telemanr

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 am

This does seem to be miraculous.
Rob Enns

engrssc

ostrovitch

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 1:29 pm

bourdon wrote:The fire devastating at the present hour Notre -Dame de Paris is , evidently, a terrible catastrophe in many regards : religious , cultural, historic, economic, sentimental,...
This is a new and sad occasion to regret that many great and famous organs in France and around the world have not yet been sampled, and that some times because - as it seems- the owners, or persons in charge, or even some organ-makers don't want "their" organs put into sample sets...

Yes indeed, but a sampleset of Notre Dame de Paris would be huge to build.
Then it's the national pipe organ of France. To be allowed to sample it, would be useful
to be a friend of French president.
It's even difficult to be allowed to touch the console with eyes. :D

murph

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Eyes may be difficult, but it has midi, so sampling could be automated..........

adri

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 pm

From Olivier Latry, via Siezte de Vries' Facebook:

Olivier LATRY
April 16 at 9:05 PM ·

Chers tous,
En ces moments tragiques pour la Cathédrale, vous avez été extrêmement nombreux à m’envoyer des mots de soutien, plus émouvants les uns que les autres, soit par e-mail, soit par SMS, FaceBook, Instagram ou en téléphonant.
Je ne vous remercierai jamais pour cela. J’aurais aimé pouvoir répondre personnellement à chacun d’entre vous, mais eu égard aux urgences dues à la situation, cela ne m’est malheureusement pas possible, du moins pour l’instant. J’espère que vous ne m’en tiendrez pas rigueur.
Notre-Dame, qui avait résisté aux révolutions, aux guerres, est partie en fumée en quelques instants. 855 ans disparus en quatre heures… Comme vous, je ressens une énorme tristesse, de la colère contenue, un abattement total. Les images qui nous sont données à voir sont atroces. Comment ne pas croire à un mauvais rêve? La réalité nous rattrape malheureusement durement.
Malgré tous les dommages qu’a subis la Cathédrale, l’orgue a miraculeusement échappé aux flammes, et aussi à l’eau censée les éteindre. Il est très empoussiéré, mais pourra continuer à nous émouvoir dès lors que son écrin aura retrouvé sa magnificence. Quand? Nul ne le sait aujourd’hui. « Détruisez ce temple et en trois jours je le relèverai. » est-il dit dans l’Evangile de Saint-Jean. Ca prendra sûrement plus de temps à Notre-Dame, mais j’ai confiance et espoir.
Avec toutes mes amicales pensées.
Olivier Latry

Dear all,
In these tragic moments for the Cathedral, you have been extremely numerous to send kind words of support, all more moving than the others, either by e-mail, SMS, FaceBook, Instagram or on the phone.
I will never thank you enough for that. I would have liked to respond personally to each of you, but given the urgency of the situation, it is unfortunately not possible for me, at least for the moment. I hope you’ll understand.
Notre-Dame, who had resisted revolutions and wars, burned in a few moments. 855 years destroyed in four hours ... Like you, I feel terribly sad, with contained rage, total sorrow. The images that we have seen are horrible. How not to think that we are in a bad dream? Reality comes back to us, unfortunately.
Despite all the damage in the Cathedral, the organ miraculously escaped the flames, as well as the water supposed to extinguish them. It is very dusty, but will continue to enjoy us as soon as the building will be restored. When? No one knows yet. « Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up. » (John, 2). It will surely take more time in Notre-Dame, but I still live with great confidence and hope.
With warmest regards.
Olivier Latry

Return to Hauptwerk instruments