It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

nice clip of Zöblitz

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

robsig

nice clip of Zöblitz

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 8:29 pm

While preparing for a performance of Bach's Cantata 102 I happened upon a lovely youtube clip of this concert recorded by the Gesualdo Consort of Amsterdam in the Stadtkirche Zöblitz. The recording begins and ends with a Prelude and Fugue which sound terrific on the beautiful Silbermann organ. Just to check whether I had guessed right about the registration I tried playing along with the prelude and found I had to tune the pitch to a=470. The Hauptwerk sample set is set slightly lower, 460-something. It is amazing to hear how loud the Great 8' flute is and how it fills the church. I believe the fugue at the end is with Great Principle 8 and 4, or maybe flute 8 and principal 4. I tried to find the BWV number for the P&F, but couldn't find it. I have it in a couple of volumes. It is believed to have been written for violin alone first.

For the cantata the organist is using the same organ, yet the orchestra is at 415 or thereabouts. That means the organist had to transpose the entire cantata. Bravo for that exploit!

I enclose the link for you to listen to this wonderful performance, at reasonable tempos. The oboist is especially noteworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G776vcOT3c not clickable, please cut and paste…

Erzahler

Re: nice clip of Zöblitz

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 12:05 am

It's the Prelude and 'Fiddle' Fugue in D Mi BWV 539.
http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-539/
BWV 539 – Prelude and Fugue in D minor ("Fiddle"; Fugue exists in a variant for violin and one for lute, see BWV 1001/2 and 1000 respectively)

adri

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 1:52 am

Leeuwarden! Fantastic organ! Hope to see it sampled one day!

Erzahler

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 2:13 am

BTW if you want quality performances of all of Bach's music (that's the aim) bookmark this site;
http://allofbach.com/en/

johnstump_organist

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 1:26 pm

[quote="robsig"
For the cantata the organist is using the same organ, yet the orchestra is at 415 or thereabouts. That means the organist had to transpose the entire cantata. Bravo for that exploit!
[/quote]
Interesting note about that: The surviving Score of Cantata 140 (Wachet Auf) from which we get the first Schubler Chorale Prelude ,is in E flat with a coninuo part notated in D-flat. Which means Bach definitely wanted the organ for continuo on at least that cantata and probably someone other than himself was playing who needed it written out in the Transposed key
John

adri

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am

johnstump_organist wrote:[quote="robsig"

Interesting note about that: The surviving Score of Cantata 140 (Wachet Auf) from which we get the first Schubler Chorale Prelude ,is in E flat with a coninuo part notated in D-flat. Which means Bach definitely wanted the organ for continuo on at least that cantata and probably someone other than himself was playing who needed it written out in the Transposed key
John[/quote]

Are you sure? Did you check the pitch of the recording with the score? In other words; the instruments used could not be set at A415?

Return to Hauptwerk instruments