It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

Replace dead computer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Glen

Replace dead computer

PostWed May 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Apologies for disturbing you.

My PC running Hauptwerk has exploded. I want to replace. I am digitally naive. Will this model below do the job for me. I play 2 hours per day, five days a week and in church at weekends.

Apple Mac Pro (5,1) 2010 3.46Ghz 6 Core 32GB RX560 250GB NVMe SSD USB3 Mojave

It's from Macbank and is £995

Thank you

Glen

Erzahler

Re: Replace dead computer

PostThu May 16, 2019 3:35 am

That is a fairly old model but I'm surprised it has 32GB which these days you need.
The drive is a bit small. A 1TB SSD disc would be better.
Have you looked around for a 2018 MacMini with 16GB RAM and a 1TB drive.
Talk seems to be if you can afford one of these you can then get an upgrade to 32GB at a better price than buying the upspeced model from Apple.
If you have had a PC you might find better value for money with another PC with 32 GB and a 1TB drive.
Do you only use it for HW?

Glen

PostSat May 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply and advice. I haven't looked at the mac mini because I understood that my touch screen wouldn't work with one. Yes, the computer is only used for Hauptwerk. My plan to move to Mac was driven by the fan noise that my now dead PC made. It was very distracting and made playing on quiet stops almost impossible. Also, it was worse in hot weather. A close colleague runs Salisbury off a 2008 Mac Pro and the machine is permanently silent, whatever the weather and for however long he leaves it on. Your advice on drive size is valuable. Still not sure what to do but thanks for the advice ... very helpful.

OrganoPleno

PostSat May 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Glen wrote:My plan to move to Mac was driven by the fan noise that my now dead PC made. It was very distracting and made playing on quiet stops almost impossible.

You can get PC's that run quietly as well. Look around, maybe search for "silent PC".

telemanr

PostSat May 18, 2019 4:10 pm

I have two Windows machines. One runs HW. Both are so quiet I cannot tell they are on without looking at the power light.
Rob Enns

csw900

PostSun May 19, 2019 3:14 am

The noise made by a computer has absolutely nothing to do with the operating system.

Noise is made by the cooling fans and these can be quite noisy - usually most noise is made when the computer is booted, once booting has completed the fans slow down and become less noisy.

The noise made by a fan can increase as it wears out or if it needs a bit of oil on the bearings. Some fans are noisy from new. Computers are a lot less noisy now than they used to be because low noise is now a selling point and it has been designed in.

If low noise is important then make sure you listen to the noise before buying the computer. Or look for a noise specification if it is new.

csw900

orcoaffamato

PostSun May 19, 2019 2:32 pm

If you have problems with noisy stock fans, consider to replace them with Noctua fans :D

organsRgreat

PostSun May 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Your profile does not state where you live, but here in the UK we have a company called “Quiet PC” which can supply a totally silent PC if required. This is done using a huge passive CPU cooler, so that no fans are needed. Strictly speaking the computer will only be completely silent if solid state drives (SDD) are specified; but I have Solid State Hybrid Disk Drives (SHDD) in which a chunk of solid state memory passes information to and from a normal Hard Disk Drive (HDD). There is a very slight sound when the computer is first switched on, but after that it's completely silent however hard it's working. This very quiet or silent technology does cost a little more, but the extra is well worth while for musical applications such as Hauptwerk.

An alternative is to place the system unit in an adjacent room, and run leads through the wall to keyboard, mouse, monitor etc., and/or to use wireless devices where possible.

Quiet PC have a useful website whereon you can specify a PC to your own requirements, and judge the cost of various specifications. I will give their url as it may be helpful wherever you live; I would imagine that a similar service is available in other counties. I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied customer.

http://www.quietpc.com

I am a little concerned that your computer “exploded”, though I have heard of a motherboard catching fire. Perhaps those of us who leave our computers on most of the time need to extra aware of the possible fire risk.

NickNelson

PostMon May 20, 2019 12:20 am

My dedicated HW computer was also supplied by "Quiet PC" and would recommend them highly too.

Nick

Glen

PostSat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for these responses. I have learnt more about the subject than I thought was possible. I did, in fact, buy a refurbished MacPro, which is completely silent. The only problem is that I can't get it to recognise my (also newly purchased) Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface - so still no playing, alas. Some despairing happening.

Glen

organsRgreat

PostSat May 25, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm only suggesting the following because of your earlier statement “I am digitally naive” - the Focusrite interface will probably need drivers, which have to be downloaded and installed. I've never used a Mac, but would guess that in this respect they are similar to PCs.

TheOrganDoc

PostSun May 26, 2019 4:55 pm

I have found in the past that the fans speed up as the computers heat-sinks get DIRTY, I have cleaned the heat-Sinks and insides of the computers and they are quiet except for first 2 seconds of startup ! :D
( Disconnect the Power Cord before opening any electrical equipment please !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Glen

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks to the last 2 contributors. Everything working perfectly now.

Return to Technical support